PDA

View Full Version : MP3 to FLAC

Dogstar
04-24-2014, 09:56 AM
I already have a library of MP3's. i know i can convert these to FLAC but will they still be loseless due to the files already being compressed in mp3 format?
Do ihave to rip my entire mp3 library agin from the original source i.e cd to flac in order to maintain the loseless format?

Thanks

mville
04-24-2014, 10:02 AM
I already have a library of MP3's. i know i can convert these to FLAC but will they still be loseless due to the files already being compressed in mp3 format?

No, as the original mp3 files are lossy, not lossless

Do ihave to rip my entire mp3 library agin from the original source i.e cd to flac in order to maintain the loseless format?

Yes

Dogstar
04-24-2014, 10:31 AM
So in lossy the bits of info that it got rid of in the original conversion are lost and would not be replaced if converting back to FLAC?

mville
04-24-2014, 10:35 AM
So in lossy the bits of info that it got rid of in the original conversion are lost and would not be replaced if converting back to FLAC?

Correct

BrodyBoy
04-24-2014, 08:34 PM
This is why it's good practice to rip to the lossless codec of your choice and save an archive. It's pretty quick and easy to convert your original rip to any other codec you may need in the future.

Look on the bright side.....this is your opportunity to make those proper archives once and for all! :)