PDA

View Full Version : DMC / Toshiba SD-M1612 Bug

msilverfox
11-09-2003, 04:00 AM
On some CDs DMC refuses to rip the first track. It says:

CODEC decompression error for '\\CdRom\Track01.cda'
Unable to Rip track - make sure correct Ripping method is selected and CD Drive supports digital audio extraction.

It only does this on the first track, and only on some albums.
Accuraterip probably doesn't have any effect on this (tested with and without it on, and then off then on and on then off). I haven't tested it installed & configured vs installed & unconfigured vs uninstalled, though, I will in the morning if you think it would be useful.

albums with the problem -
"Phantom Power" - Super Furry Animals
"Lateralus" - Tool
"www.pitchshifter.com" - Pitchshifter

albums without the problem -
"Automatic For the People" - R.E.M.
"Bad Hair Day" - Weird Al Yankovic

This was present in earlier DMCbeta10 versions, so it's not new to DMC 10 beta Gold (current running version). It is specific to DMCbeta10 however (I didn't have this problem with DMC9).

This is CD-ROM specific, apparently just to my regular drive (Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612), as it does not occur when ripping ("Phantom Power", "www.pitchshifter.com" tested) from an "HP CD Writer 8200 series" usb drive.

Both drives had successful AccurateRip configuration from "Automatic For the People" (both hitting the expected values; -472 and +572 for the Toshiba and HP respectively). I don't remember the other (sample?) number, though, and I'm not sure how to get it again.

Spoon
11-09-2003, 07:51 AM
It will be because the Toshiba cannot read outside the CD area (it needs to read one sector before the audio CD with a minus drive offset). All you can do for this drive is reset the drive offset to zero and not use accurate rip on it.