PDA

View Full Version : Underwhelmed by DeDup (didn't help me at all)

jarrettv
03-26-2014, 10:17 AM
So I ran DeDup on my dirty library and I had almost 18,000 duplicates.

* Some are poorly matched
* There is no batch decisions

* For example, if 99% matching, delete lower quality file
* I must manually delete 18,000 duplicates?
* I bought the app to save time, I don't have 8 hours to DeDup my library
* There should be statistics to help with decisions

* For example, auto delete with 80% accuracy => saves 22 GB, library from 40k tracks to 28k tracks
* A preview feature for batch deletes
* A undo feature if you accidentally click wrong delete button
* Needs sorting, batch deleting by quality, etc.

jarrettv
03-26-2014, 11:09 AM
What would really be nice if you take a two stage approach:
* Removing duplicates
* Removing obscure tracks based on * of scrobbles

For example, I might have some crap tracks in my library from a CD my friend gave me. Maybe their band wasn't very good. No one listens to them and neither do I. Lets delete them.

kg648
04-17-2014, 02:52 AM
the main problem I see with it is if you browse by artist it's a problem, if you browse by album and you have dedup'd it causes problems.

scottsoapbox
04-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Seriously. I bought this program because I knew I had a LOT of duplicates. Apparently over 5,300 in on one of my computers. I do NOT want to click 5300 times.

There should at least be an option to auto-delete all but one of the "Certain Matches". It's an option if people are afraid to use it they can click away for hours on end.

If the developer is afraid of deletions than just move them to a different folder. I have a picture duplicate program that does this. Then the user can keep them if afraid or delete them if they don't care.

handsome
07-10-2014, 10:23 AM
100% am in the same boat: I have two libraries lossless and lossy needed to merge both for convenience. Founds tons of duplicates obviously...but jeez to individually delete every single one? Should be batch rule options as mentioned before - if lossless and lossy or low and high quality exist of the same song delete or move the low or high quality versions.

Also: took me 8 hours to scan my library found all my duplicates etc then I opened perfectTunes whilst off the network.... and when next back on I had to rescan the entire library again....surely if perfectTunes cant find the folder it shouldn't have to delete the database? Should be a way to save or maintain the database?