PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to R15 - ALAC files now "corrupt"

BugReport
03-22-2014, 04:57 PM
I just upgraded to R15 from R14, and took advantage of your PerfectTUNES discount.
PerfectTUNES is reporting several ALAC files in my library as being "corrupt" even though they play perfectly.

dBpoweramp is unable to read the file tags or audio properties, and If I try to use the converter, I get this error:
ALAC: Malformed frame length. [ALACDEC::Open]

These files were ripped to AIFF (DVD Audio disc via Foobar) and then converted to ALAC using the R14 conversion tool.
JRiver has no problem reading the embedded tags or playing the files.

I did a test conversion to FLAC via JRiver and after that dBpoweramp has no problem reading the file tags.
However, if I try to convert that FLAC file back to ALAC, I receive another error after conversion:
Error converting to Apple Lossless
Error audio file failed verification
FLAC to FLAC works without errors.

So I think something is wrong with ALAC files in R15.

Here is a sample file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/mty4ov

Spoon
03-23-2014, 04:22 PM
Fixed, the update will appear in R15.1 beta (soon).

Perfecttunes will not be updated until it enters beta again.

BugReport
03-23-2014, 09:16 PM
Fixed, the update will appear in R15.1 beta (soon).Great!
When it's working, I am impressed with how much faster conversion in R15 is.

Perfecttunes will not be updated until it enters beta again.Is it possible to have my PerfectTUNES order refunded? I am finding it to be quite useless.

Album artwork results are worse than I get from a Google image search. (limited to 1400px and highly compressed)

De-Dup does not have a "delete all" button. I am not about to click delete thousands of times after letting it run all day.
If you don't want the risks of a "delete all" option, at least offer "move to duplicates folder" which users can delete on their own, leaving only the best file in its original location.

AccurateRip is reporting many ALAC files as being corrupt. (my entire library is ALAC, so it's not much help)
Albums which were ripped and marked as accurate in previous versions of dBpoweramp, are now marked as being "inaccurate". (the files themselves are fine and have not been corrupted in any way)

Spoon
03-24-2014, 05:51 AM
1400 px is the maximum you would realistically want for album art, consider that a CD is some 4.75 inches across, this equates to over 300 dpi.

I have seen higher resolution art, and it is poor quality because the scanner scans the weave of the paper, not the art....

If you can send another alac file you think should be accurate, because the one you sent was 24bit 6 channels, that is why the R15 decoder would not work with it, if you have a 16 bit 2 channel file which it reports as corrupted then I need that file.

BugReport
03-24-2014, 01:37 PM
1400 px is the maximum you would realistically want for album art, consider that a CD is some 4.75 inches across, this equates to over 300 dpi.

I have seen higher resolution art, and it is poor quality because the scanner scans the weave of the paper, not the art....With my iPad being 2048x1536, 1536 is the minimum size I'm looking for. 4K tablets are due to arrive later in the year.
With the right search, you can find source files that are 4MP+ for many albums, rather than scans. Of course it does require that you check the quality of the files rather than taking the first or largest result. (larger filesizes are often because an image has been re-saved)

I see now that the Album Art feature is for people looking to update their library with higher resolution art than they already have as a quick-fix batch operation.
I'm sure it works well for that purpose - it's just that I was expecting it to do something like selecting the highest resolution no-compromise quality cover art.

If you can send another alac file you think should be accurate, because the one you sent was 24bit 6 channels, that is why the R15 decoder would not work with it, if you have a 16 bit 2 channel file which it reports as corrupted then I need that file.I would have to scan the library again. I think there were some which were high res 2ch rather than multichannel, but perhaps that was the issue.

I have tracks which are reported as inaccurate that were purchased directly and delivered as a zip file - so I think it's unlikely that the files are "inaccurate" as AccurateRip reports.

However, De-Dup was the main reason I bought PerfectTUNES. (and the fact that I was offered a discount for it after upgrading to R15)
I'm the "computer guy" for friends and family, and occasionally get asked to fix their libraries, so I thought it would be useful for that. But without a delete all duplicates option, there doesn't seem to be any point to it unless you only have one or two duplicate tracks to fix, rather than hundreds or thousands.

Spoon
03-24-2014, 04:52 PM
it's just that I was expecting it to do something like selecting the highest resolution no-compromise quality cover art.

You can do this by clicking fix next to an album, then click the sort highest to lowest button.

I have tracks which are reported as inaccurate that were purchased directly and delivered as a zip file - so I think it's unlikely that the files are "inaccurate" as AccurateRip reports.

AccurateRip verifies against the CD, it is CD based. If you have FLAC files from a download store, they will only report accurate if the store had ripped them from CD.

BugReport
03-24-2014, 05:00 PM
Regardless, I am not finding any of the functions of PerfectTUNES to be of any use. Would it be possible to get a refund?