PDA

View Full Version : Some files fail to convert to opus

crawler9
03-22-2014, 01:39 AM
Hi, I have several files that are failing to convert to opus. Most of my FLAC library converts successfully, but a few aren't working right. They appear to be working fine in the batch converter until the very end when tags are supposed to be written. At that point, I get a message saying

CoreConverter.exe - Application Error

The instruction at 0x8b72c1ce referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read.

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program.

Debugging (in Visual Studio, the only application I currently have that handles debugging) traces the issue to an unhandled exception in opus.dll. In edition to Visual Studio, a window called dBpoweramp: Conversion Errors pops up with the following information:

Error converting to Opus, 'D:\Music\FLAC\My CDs\Andrew Lloyd Webber\Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat\01.01 - Andrew Lloyd Webber - Jacob and Sons - Joseph's Coat.flac' to 'D:\Music\FLAC\My CDs\Andrew Lloyd Webber\Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat\01.01 - Andrew Lloyd Webber - Jacob and Sons - Joseph's Coat.opus'
Error: Watchdog timeout, possible CoreConverter crash

I end up with 2 files instead of one: 01.01 - Andrew Lloyd Webber - Jacob and Sons - Joseph's Coat.opus (which seems to play correctly, but contains no tags except for ENCODER and ENCODER_OPTIONS) and 01.01 - Andrew Lloyd Webber - Jacob and Sons - Joseph's Coat.opus.tmp

I've attempted to convert the files to different formats. OGG and MP3 for example, and both work file, but I'm trying to use opus for portable playback because it seems to offer similar quality at lower bitrates compared to other codecs I've tried.

What could be causing this, and is there anything I can do to remedy it?

I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with dBpoweramp r15. I vaguely remember having a similar issue at one point in the past with dBpoweramp r14 as well (on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 at that point), but can't remember if it was with the same files or not. I can provide more information if necessary. Just let me know what you need to know. I can upload files if necessary also, though I'm not sure if that's legally acceptable. Just let me know.

Thanks,
crawler9

Spoon
03-22-2014, 05:15 AM
You have Release 2 of the opus codec installed?

crawler9
03-22-2014, 05:22 AM
Yes, I have Opus Release 2 (Opus 1.1).

Spoon
03-22-2014, 05:26 AM
Email the flac file please:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm

(or if too large for your email, upload to drop box and email the link).

crawler9
03-22-2014, 05:43 AM
I've emailed the file, as requested.

j-do
03-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Hi, I have several files that are failing to convert to opus. Most of my FLAC library converts successfully, but a few aren't working right. They appear to be working fine in the batch converter until the very end when tags are supposed to be written. At that point, I get a message saying

CoreConverter.exe - Application Error

The instruction at 0x8b72c1ce referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read.

Click on CANCEL to debug the program.
Thanks,
crawler9

I'm having exactly the same problem converting FLAC files to Opus. The problem first occurred when I upgraded from registered version 14 to 15 this afternoon. As crawler9 already mentioned: the messages appear when writing tags.

Spoon
03-24-2014, 08:57 AM
Now fixed with R2.1 of Opus

j-do
03-25-2014, 04:12 PM

Seems to work. Converting 6874 FLAC files to Opus at the moment. Thanks for picking this up so soon!

crawler9
03-25-2014, 07:50 PM

Everything is working fine now. Thanks for the quick fix.

crawler9
04-10-2014, 06:39 PM
I'm experiencing the same type of error again while using the [ID Tag Update] Utility Codec.

The instruction at 0x8a14ec7e referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read.

Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Debugging in Visual Studio again traces the error to an unhandled exception in Opus.dll in CoreCoverter.exe

The issue occurs when attempting to remove tags from opus files. The end result is a completely unmodified opus file (md5 after failed update matches md5 before attempt to update tags).

Extra information... I doubt it's relevant, but here's what I was attempting to do.

ID Tag Update utility codec
Remove the following tags:
R128_TRACK_GAIN
replaygain_track_gain
replaygain_album_gain
replaygain_track_peak
replaygain_album_peak
replaygain_scanner
replaygain scanner

I was prepping to rescan my entire library using the [ReplayGain] utility codec because at the moment, my files are a mixture of -18LUFS replaygain tags and -23LUFS replaygain tags in my MP3s and FLACs, and R128_TRACK_GAIN tags generated with foobar for my Opus files.

edit: The unhandled exception is in C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp\decoder\Opus.dll, not C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp\encoder\Opus.dll.

Spoon
04-11-2014, 07:29 AM
If you could email the file you are using, and reference this thread in the email please:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm

Spoon
04-14-2014, 08:14 AM
We have released an updated codec R2.2 which fixes this.