PDA

View Full Version : Batch Converter deleted original files - no idea why

SGrey
03-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Hi. I recently starting using dbpoweramp to rip all my cds. I didn't originally have the program set to multi-encoder so today I needed to convert a large-ish batch to mp3 using batch converter only to discover afterward it deleted all the original FLAC files. I've been able to get some of them back - some were in my recycle bin - but it's a comparatively small number.

Besides the fact that I'm trying not to freak out (I'd planned to add the flac files to my external hdd for backup After converting so no backups yet. Sigh. :( ) I'm desperately trying to figure out why it deleted the files.

The output location is set to a different destination than the original folder. I don't have ANY DPS Effects or Actions listed - ie no delete original source. It kept the file structure and all that under the new destination but frankly, I don't give 2 hoots about that. Strangely, I noticed afterward, it only converted about half of the files it was told to convert to begin with.

I've checked and rechecked it's settings but can find nothing that should have caused this. Needless to say, if I can't figure out why in the world it deleted the files, and until I do figure it out, am extremely leery of using it again.

Any ideas as to why it deleted would be greatly appreciated.

SGrey
03-19-2014, 08:30 PM
Correction: As it turns out it the batch converter moved all the original flac files to a different hard drive. (My laptop has 2 internal hds.) So...any idea why in the world it would do that and how to prevent it from happening again? I'm ridiculously relieved to have found them but the move created a hot mess that I'd like to avoid in the future.

Spoon
03-20-2014, 04:04 AM
It is not possible for our program to move files, we have a DSP effect 'Delete Source File' (which deletes the source files after conversion) other than that the source files are never touched.

SGrey
03-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Well...I hate to say it but something about running the batch converter not only moved the files, it renamed half my files and tracks.

No, it really did. All my files were on my D drive. After running the converter, the majority of them are on the C drive. All the tags I'd set up when ripping were gone, ignored or changed. The names of the tracks were changed in some cases. Now maybe Windows somehow, someway stepped in and did...something as the mp3's were created but something went seriously haywire. Even the file structures were stripped as they were moved to the C drive. The original folders remain as is on the D drive but when you open them, the contents are gone and the folder reads empty. It's the strangest thing I've ever run across.

In a few instances the mp3s and Flac's were all merged together under the same folder. In at least 4 cases I've found so far, part of a CD was left in the original location and the other half was moved to drive C. It's a hot mess.

Spoon
03-20-2014, 11:15 AM
If you used Batch Converter and converted your files to [Arrange Audio] that would move and rename the files, as that is the purpose of Arrange Audio.