PDA

View Full Version : Cannot decompress wav file

loschak
11-05-2003, 11:48 AM
When I try to convert a wav file to either a mp3 or wma format I get the following message:

The CODEC required to decompress 'zzzzzzz.wav' could not be opened. ACM Codec Not Installed 'UnKnown 353'

One time I was successful in the conversion, but it no longer works. I am using windows xp pro. I have rebooted the computer and also switched it off and on, all to no avail.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Spoon
11-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Your computer needs an ACM codec for 353 I don't know which codec it is though, try asking whoever you got the Wave file off.

loschak
11-06-2003, 11:09 PM
Your computer needs an ACM codec for 353 I don't know which codec it is though, try asking whoever you got the Wave file off.

Thank you for the response.

I made a video on my digital camcorder. I then downloaded the video from the camcorder to my computer using windows movie maker. The subsequent file was a wmv file. I used asftools ver. 3.1 to extract the audio from the wmv file. It saved it as a wav file. So, I still don't know what to do. As mentioned, sometimes, albeit infrequently, I can convert the wav file to a wma file.

Eagerly awaiting a response.

Thanks

Spoon
11-07-2003, 01:48 PM
Rename the Wmv file to wma (I am 40% sure dMC can work without renaming), then use the Windows Media Audio codec to extract the audio to whatever format you want.