PDA

View Full Version : Volume normalization

keithdowling
03-09-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm a new guy. Can anyone advise me on the following:
I've put most of my music (Flac) on a USB external drive. I play it through my Oppo BDP-105. Is there a way of making all of the volume "levels" consistent - so that when I play back the music there is no variation in volume level from CD to CD so I don't have to adjust the volume control of my amp (tube amp, no remote control) ?

Spoon
03-10-2014, 03:21 AM
Convert your original FLAC to another FLAC library with the DSP effect 'Volume Normalize' set to the replaygain option.

Keep your original FLAC files untouched.

keithdowling
03-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Thanks. Did that. Still seems to be a large variance in volume levels from CD to CD (so to speak) Did I need to tweak/adjust any of the settings in replaygain option? All I did was select it as is

Spoon
03-13-2014, 03:18 AM
No need to change anything.

garym
03-13-2014, 05:52 AM
Thanks. Did that. Still seems to be a large variance in volume levels from CD to CD (so to speak) Did I need to tweak/adjust any of the settings in replaygain option? All I did was select it as is

Did you create a separate set of files with the volume normalized (as spoon suggested) or did you just add RG tags to the existing FLAC files. If the latter, then it would require that your player actually recognize the RG tags and your player may not. If you actually modified the files to permanently adjust the volume, then the player doesn't really matte.

keithdowling
03-13-2014, 07:22 PM
Yes I did make a copy first, before adjusting/applying the replaygain.
It seems to have "worked" from track to track within a CD (so to speak) but does not seem to have adjusted the volume level CD to CD = so as I change/select a different CD (all of this takes place from a USB) the volume level is inconsistent

garym
03-14-2014, 08:05 AM
are there both album and track RG values in your tags?

BrodyBoy
03-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Are you sure the Oppo supports ReplayGain? I have several Oppo players, but it's been a long time since I've browsed the specs or manuals. I don't recall ever seeing anything about ReplayGain....(that doesn't mean it doesn't :))

garym
03-15-2014, 06:38 AM
Are you sure the Oppo supports ReplayGain? I have several Oppo players, but it's been a long time since I've browsed the specs or manuals. I don't recall ever seeing anything about ReplayGain....(that doesn't mean it doesn't :))

that's my suspicion too. There are a lot of DLNA players out there (low price to high price) that can't use RG. Can you install foobar2000 or winamp on your PC and turn on "use replaygain" in those programs, and play a little playlist to see how RG *should* work.