PDA

View Full Version : Drive Different to Configured Drive

corkypa
03-01-2014, 05:16 PM
I ripped a batch of CDs this morning, but when I put in a second batch, it rejected all the disk. The loaded them, read them for a minute or two, then went on to the next disk, as if it couldn't understand anything on the disk.

In the batch ripper application, there is a single drive, but on the line for that drive in red is "Drive Different to Configured Drive." If I look at the batch ripper configuration, there is but a single configured drive that matches the one in the batch ripper, so it doesn't seem to be different.

I don't know if it is a clue, but the CD Ripper application can't find any drives, although there are 2 on the system (1 in the changer, and 1 ordinary CD-ROM drive). Both CD drives appear in under "Computer," and the device manager shows the changer and the other drive, so it seems odd that the CD Ripper can't see them.

I'm running Win7 Ultimate x86 and a Sony VGP-XL1B. I"m running Batch Ripper 1.2, which is a little old, but I would like to get this working before upgrading. Normally the setup works nicely. I have rebooted in case that would clear out some bad state, but it didn't help.

Any suggestions on what might be happening and how to fix it?

Spoon
03-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Perhaps the drive name has changed?

corkypa
03-01-2014, 07:53 PM
It has the same drive letter both in the computer and in the configuration, so I don't think that is the problem. 2 questions: would this error cause the problem with the apparent inability to read disks? If the only drive in the batch ripper is from the configuration, how can this ever happen?

Spoon
03-02-2014, 06:10 AM
I have seen drives change their reported name, anyhow, run the configuration program, set the drive to unconfigured and then configure again.

corkypa
03-02-2014, 09:15 AM
Grrr, apparently windows managed to mess itself up and set the security permissions on the CD-ROMs so nothing can use them. Certain detailed registry editing might or might not fix the problem. By the way, a more specific "can't get access to drive" error message of the sort the VLC gave me would have helped tremendously for diagnosing the problem.