PDA

View Full Version : Unable to convert UNC folder

ptr727
02-22-2014, 11:09 PM
I just upgraded from v14 reference family to v15 reference family.
Trying to convert a folder of FLAC files I created using the CD ripper, to MP3 format for use in iTunes.

Unable to select the folder I want to convert.

The folder browser does not list the UNC server path I want to convert.
The app has no ability to let me specify a path to convert by edit box.
Also no ability to drop a folder either.
I enabled the right click convert option in settings.
I right click on the folder, app UI comes up blank, thinks a couple seconds, then shows normal UI, folder is not selected.

Why no edit box select folder to convert?
Why no drop target?
Why does right click not work?

Running on Win8.1 x64 Pro.
Folder is on a W2K12R2 file server, accessed using UNC/SMB.

P.

Spoon
02-23-2014, 04:40 AM
Using Batch Converter or Music Converter file selector?

ptr727
02-23-2014, 10:49 AM
Using batch converter.

When I right click on the folder in explorer, and select batch convert, the UI comes up, displays does not paint for several seconds, and then just displays, as if I just launched it manually, it does not auto-select the folder.

All apps that use browse for file folder really should include a method to type a path, as the shell does not register all available servers or UNC paths.
See HBrowseForFolder(), BROWSEINFO::ulFlags, BIF_EDITBOX

Since the batch converter's main UI is a browse for folder UI, that fails to display UNC server paths, it should add some kind of command to add or process a folder by path using an edit box.
It should also ideally implement a drag target, so I can drag and drop a folder without needing to type the path.

I did convert the files by temporarily mapping a drive letter to the folder, but this is a clumsy workaround, especially for your apps that are by all other means so excellent ;)

P.

Spoon
02-23-2014, 04:31 PM
>Since the batch converter's main UI is a browse for folder UI,

It is our own custom control, it will only display what is under the Network. If you have a network share, which does not register with windows, such as an IP address share, then mapping to a drive letter is the correct way to go about it.

ptr727
02-23-2014, 04:47 PM
It is not an IP address share, it is a \\servername\sharename\foldername share, on a W2K12R2 server.
Using a temporary mapped drive is not "the right way", it is a workaround for what I think is a deficiency in the app.

Explorer will only show a very limited set of servers in the network browser list.
By restricting your app to only these servers that Windows decides to show or not show, you do many power users, like myself, a big disservice.

Please:
- Fix the app so that when I right click convert, on a folder that clearly exists, it is properly selected and used, even if not in the explorer network node list.
- Add a command to convert a folder by specifying a path, instead of relying on your UI and Windows network discovery to discover the server I want to use.

P.

Spoon
02-25-2014, 04:43 AM
Noted for next beta.

ptr727
02-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Thanks.

k1_
08-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Any news about UNC paths, I really need this to work. I'm using 15.1.

//

dbfan
08-18-2014, 10:41 AM
It was added to r15.1, if you add batch converter option to folders (in dBpoweramp configuration) and right click >> batch convert then the path is always used even if does not appear in the network browse section.