PDA

View Full Version : Confused by one of the dialogs in Batch Converter, and a technical problem too

John Winkley
12-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Hello

Before I start with this query, just want to say that the dbPowerAmp tools are excellent - thanks.

I'm using Batch Converter 14.4 (have the same problem with the last version - 13.5).
I have two folder structures:

1) \music\lots of folders with FLACs ripped by your ripper
2) \music MP3 for itunes\same folders as (1) created by Batch converter

Both sets of folders are on Windows Home server, which is mapped to my desktop machine as a network drive (U:). There are about 9000 files in each spread across 700 folders.

What I want to do is use Batch converter to run through all of (1) periodically, and ignore conversions where the files exist in (2) but convert any new rips since the last run. So it's an "update" type of function. I know BC can do this, but I am running into problems when i get to to the "Overwrite" screen which follows the "examining source and Overwrite check" dialog. I possibly have two problems.

1) I don't understand what the button options (bottom right) actually do. Cancel clearly aborts the entire activity. No-to-all seems to just remove the ticks on the overwrite options. Overwrite doesn't seem to do anything (i think this is the equivalent of the "next"/"proceed" button). The button gives the visual impression of being clicked but nothing actually happens. Apart from using cancel to abort I can't get the software to move on past this screen. To be honest, I don't think the screen options are very clear.

2) I have a vague recollection of a problem with a network drive going to sleep and causing problems with this screen in the past. I don't know how to check for this. As far as I can see the U: drive is active and available.

I don't know what to do next.

John

Spoon
12-28-2013, 08:22 AM
When No to All is clicked, the ticks are removed and only the new files are converted. If you click this button it does nothing (so you can click again) or freezes the program?

John Winkley
12-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Thanks for replying. When the list is first populated, it is very large - most of the 9000 files. And all are ticked. I click "no to all" and it removes all the ticks. But doesn't do anything else - just waits (with all the files shown unticked)
I then click "overwrite". It appears to click but nothing happens.

the point is I don't know whether "no to all" is supposed to do "untick and move on" or whether it just does "untick" and then I'm supposed to click "overwrite" to proceed. It's pretty unclear. Probably clear to the guy who wrote the software. But for me, with this confusion, and a technical problem (ie it's not working) then I'm stuck. There are no other buttons to press (apart from cancel).

John

John Winkley
12-28-2013, 08:50 AM
I've found an old post from me on this same issue.
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/search.php?searchid=648409

I solved it then by ensuring the network drive was active. But in the scenario here, it's fully active (playing files, refreshing in windows explorer). When I click No-to-all for a second time, the "Destination File" marker at the top of the dialog flashes once, the "no-to-all" button goes blue for a second or two and then the screen returns to its dormant state. Is there a log mode where I can find out what BC is reporting when I click no-to-all - maybe it can't access the drive?

John

garym
12-28-2013, 08:54 AM
you'd have to have at least one file ticked otherwise there is nothing to convert. Once you've ticked the file or files you want to convert, then you have to click the CONVERT icon in the upper left side of menu. This will open a popup where you tell it what type of conversion you want to do, the file location, dynamic naming options, DSP options, etc. EDIT, looking at earlier posts, maybe I'm confused about where you are in the program....my note above is referring to the first page that opens up with batch converter (where one chooses the files one wants to convert). If you're in a different screen, then ignore my note.

John Winkley
12-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Gary - you're referring to a different screen I think. Here's what I'm looking at:

http://tinypic.com/r/sbsobm/6

Now the functionality is weird:
If I press:
1) CANCEL aborts back to the "checking" dialog
2) NO TO ALL (again): button goes blue on pressing. The "Destination File" words at the top of the screen blink once. Then nothing. Screen remains displayed as in the second pic above.
3) OVERWRITE: button goes blue and stays blue. Nothing else happens.
4) X (window close) - works fine - the app hasn't crashed

Spoon
12-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Click no to all and wait a while, the page should self hide after a while, perhaps try with one or two files to experiment.

garym
12-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Gary - you're referring to a different screen I think. Here's what I'm looking at:

got it. Yes, ignore my post. I was talking about something else.

John Winkley
12-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Ok. I've tried it, both with the 9000 file full list and a shorter list of about 200, and then with 30. Same behaviour - the "no to all" button removes the ticks but does nothing else.

John Winkley
12-28-2013, 01:05 PM
One small thought. I returned to the conversion specification screen (where the type of conversion, the output location is chosen, etc.), choosing only 3 files to convert (all of which already exist in the output folder)

I clicked on List/Rename. Here's what got
http://tinypic.com/r/2ibj2ip/5

Looks like 6 entries in the list with each entry duplicated once.. Looks a bit odd to me - does that help at all?

Spoon
12-28-2013, 02:48 PM
When you browse that folder where those flac files are listed, how many are shown?

John Winkley
01-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Sorry for the delay - Christmas.

The \music folder has 8909 files spread across 937 folders., Approximately 10 files per folder - each folder is an album/CD.

John Winkley
01-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Actually, just realised you were probably referring to the specific folder shown in the List/Rename message above [12-28-2013, 06:05 PM].

The source folder (\music\...) has 10 flac files

The target folder (\music MP3 for itunes\...) has 10 MP3 corresponding to the 10 flacs

I still have no idea what the dialog in the image presented above is supposed to mean (particularly the duplication) I selected only the first 3 files to convert (hence why, in the screenshot, only 3 are shown - not the full 10).

John

Spoon
01-05-2014, 06:07 AM
What does the List page in Batch Converter show? if you select just the same 3 files?

John Winkley
01-31-2014, 05:27 AM
I've explored the behaviour further. I now have the situation where if I select only 20 files from the batch converter file list, when I get to the "overwrite" screen and click "overwrite", the converter program works for the first time I do it, but if I then repeat the process with another 20 files (different ones) it crashes. Is there a log file I can send you to have a look at? Can you tell me where to find it.

Thanks

John

Spoon
01-31-2014, 05:48 AM
>The source folder (\music\...) has 10 flac files

Can you zip up this folder and upload to dropbox please. And forward me a link please:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm