PDA

View Full Version : apple itunes for windows mp4 tags not being read

coxsteph
10-17-2003, 01:43 PM
Apple seem to write their mp4 (well m4a) tags at the beginning of the file where as a file converted using dbpoweramp seems to put them at the end, other than that from a hex editor they look very similar.
As I'm probably gonna be buying an iPod I will be wanting to use the iTunes software but need to transfer my original files over. I can't do this until the preserve tagging option works for iTunes. Any idea if/when this is gonna be functional?

coxsteph
10-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Oh sorry, am using beta 5 with dmc 9 although have tried with beta10 as well. The problem happens with both mp3's and wma's.
Can provide an example file created by iTunes and yourselves if you want to compare
Thanks

Spoon
10-18-2003, 01:13 PM
We will have to see what happens, I think Apple will likely release a fix.

bg1
10-30-2003, 04:17 PM
all of my m4a files that I have created read fine in iTunes. unfortunately iTunes will not edit the tags on them. iTunes will show the file as if the tags were changed but when the file is played iTunes reverts back to the original tags. I ended up using masstagger to correct the tags, but it's still annoying that I can't do it from iTunes. by the way, the file extension converter plug in is great! it let me change the extension to m4a very quickly on my old mp4 files.

Spoon
10-30-2003, 04:51 PM
Oh yes, make sure you have the new iTunes 4.1.1