PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Shuts down in middle of batch process

RickM3rd
12-02-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm mass converting apple lossless files to mp3 to reduce the size of the files to load onto my ipod. I'm doing batches of a couple of hundred songs and the my laptop just shuts down in the middle of the process, no error message, just shuts down. It's happened at least a dozen times, basically every time I run it. It does look like the batch processor is maxing out the CPU, but not sure why that would cause the shutdown. Any ideas on what to try?

garym
12-02-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm mass converting apple lossless files to mp3 to reduce the size of the files to load onto my ipod. I'm doing batches of a couple of hundred songs and the my laptop just shuts down in the middle of the process, no error message, just shuts down. It's happened at least a dozen times, basically every time I run it. It does look like the batch processor is maxing out the CPU, but not sure why that would cause the shutdown. Any ideas on what to try?

My guess is Overheating? Also, have you checked the Power Saver options of the laptop. Maybe it is set to need some key press action every so often to stay on?

Spoon
12-03-2013, 06:02 AM
dBpoweramp should prevent a sleep on a laptop whilst converting, if when you turn it back on and it restart Windows then your laptop has faulty hardware (perhaps overheating and crashing).

You can use the DSP effect CPU throttle to lesson the load on the CPU, however all computer should be able to run at 100% CPU for 100% of the time and not shutdown.

RickM3rd
12-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the tips, I think there is a hardward problem to look at, but I will also try to reduce the load as well. Will let you know how it works out.