PDA

View Full Version : cd copy protection workaround?

Razgo
10-12-2003, 07:20 AM
um.... did anyone try this? i don't have a protected cd to try out.
follow the source link for the article:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8143

"most affected users can bypass the system entirely by holding the shift key while inserting the CD,"

* "Many users disable the autorun feature [11] (autostart on Mac OS), so their systems will be able to copy the disc unless the user manually launches MediaMax.
* "Windows users who haven't disabled autorun can suspend it when they play a SunnComm-protected disc by holding down the shift key for a few seconds while inserting the CD. They can then copy the data normally.

"In all these cases, the audio tracks are left completely unprotected.

RossRoy
10-12-2003, 10:23 AM
It most probably works, though I've never had to use it.

Most "so-called" protected Music CD only use an unreadable invalid data track at the end, the track a computer will try to read first, so that the computer will just keep trying to read the track over and over trying to get to the autorun.inf file (because the TOC for the data track mentions the files, it's just the files are not there when the computer tries to read them). So, pressing shift while inserting the disc just tells Windows to not do anything, and then, when you use a software like dMC Audio CD input or EAC, which don't reply on Windows to tell them what is on the CD, they can just access the audio data directly.

And as long as CD will be in place, there is no way they can protect their CD better, because if they start scrambling the audio data itself, older CD player won't even be able to play the audio thus the companies would alienate a lot of consumer thus making more harm than good.

And anyway, no matter how much protection they put on the discs, there will always be the good ol' loopback into a soundcard, which, if the volume levels are set right, would create almost perfect sounding tracks.

DISCLAIMER: Everything I said here about copy protection I just said out of my head and what I think, I have no officiel sources so if I'm wrong on something, feel free to correct me.

Spoon
10-12-2003, 05:55 PM
That Shif key only works on 1 cd currently, because they install a secret program on insert.

Razgo
10-12-2003, 09:18 PM
well it is certainly interesting that there are at least some ways around it.

an article on How to copy/rip a protected audio cdcd freaks (http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=46159) is of interest also.

certainly a sight worth keeping an eye on for cd related info. well i found it informative anyway.

paratore
08-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Is this the same as "encrypted" files. I have error messages for some albums when trying to convert them telling me dbpower can't convert the wma to mp3 because the file is encrypted. Any suggestions to get around this?

ChristinaS
08-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Is this the same as "encrypted" files. I have error messages for some albums when trying to convert them telling me dbpower can't convert the wma to mp3 because the file is encrypted. Any suggestions to get around this?
Use dMC AUxiliary Input for your copy-protected wma files and capture them to mp3 directly or to wav first and convert them afterwards to mp3.

paratore
08-08-2004, 06:19 PM
Thanks, that worked for some of the albums, just not the "protected" ones. I've been re-ripping the actual albums in as mp3 files for these.

ChristinaS
08-08-2004, 06:41 PM
Thanks, that worked for some of the albums, just not the "protected" ones. I've been re-ripping the actual albums in as mp3 files for these.
What do you mean it didn't work for the protected ones? dMC Auxiliary Input works independently of the input file type or protection or lack thereof. If you can play the file using any kind of player and direct the sound through the sound card, then you can use dMC Auxiliary Input to capture a new audio file.

paratore
08-09-2004, 08:21 AM
Where do I find dmc auxiliary input - I have dbpoweramp music converter, dmc file select, and dmc audio cd input downloaded.

ChristinaS
08-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Click on Music Converter (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm) at the top of this forum and look at the bottom of that page for all the downloads.

princecharming
12-29-2004, 12:09 AM
iTunes?

1 Disable autoplay
2 Start iTunes
3 Insert disc

Worked every time for me ;-)

Bye now

LtData
12-29-2004, 12:12 AM
Also, there are a few suggestions Spoon mentions in the dMC Release 11 help.

1. Holding left shift when inserting the CD and for 5-10 seconds afterwards.
2. Turning off "Table of Contents Dection"
3. The Black marker trick.

hexadecimal
07-28-2005, 02:29 PM
and what about the good ol coloring on the edge with a sharpie???

also recording the audio with sound forge does the trick! ;)

LtData
07-28-2005, 05:38 PM
and what about the good ol coloring on the edge with a sharpie???
That would be the "black marker trick" I mentioned that is also in dMC help files.
And there is always dMC's Aux Input for those files that just won't rip.

gameplaya15143
10-27-2005, 01:46 AM
autoplay is the :teufel8:

just disable it, its useless anyways
in win9x right click the drive, properties, uncheck notify windows when new media is inserted

winXP download tweakUI for windows xp, disable autoplay that way

for win2k you have to edit the registry i think

then you dont have to worry about some stupid CD installing something on ya
---------------

the newer forms of 'copy protection' will all be defeated, its funny how the corporations like to rip off their paying customers :vmad:

i havent boughten a cd in well over a year, i will accept them as gifts, but i see no point in wasting my money for poorly mastered/corrupt/whatever crap

LtData
10-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Actually, even with Autoplay disabled that way, I still had to hold down shift when inserting a copy-protected CD. :)