PDA

View Full Version : PerfectTunes AccurateRip bugs found

george-london
11-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Hey there.

I have been using PerfectTunes AccurateRip to check my libraries so I do not have to re-rip all my CD's if I do not need to and so far I found 3 little bugs with it:

1. PerfectTunes AccurateRip Reports some albums not being in the AccurateRip database, while at the same time on the TXT report it clearly displays the AccurateRip DiscIDs and when I tested it with the actual CD, sure enough the CD was in the database.

2. Sometimes it reports files as "corrupted" where they are not and a second pass will miss them.

3. PerfectTunes AccurateRip will skip folders with some of the tracks of the album missing. I do not see a reason for that as it should be able to check the invividual tracks regardless if one of two tracks are missing.

Otherwise, keep up the good work. I use and love dBpoweramp as a registered user as well as AssetUPnP (have found a small bug with this too, when it starts playing a FLAC file on my Marantz DNLA Player, it takes 3-10 seconds to display the name of the track on the player. I know its not a fault with the player as same exact tracks with Twonky or Serviio do not have the same problem)

Spoon
11-14-2013, 04:51 AM
R1.5 fixes all these I believe, see the beta section of this forum.

george-london
11-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Thanks Spoon.

AndrewFG
01-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Hey there.
1. PerfectTunes AccurateRip Reports some albums not being in the AccurateRip database, while at the same time on the TXT report it clearly displays the AccurateRip DiscIDs and when I tested it with the actual CD, sure enough the CD was in the database.

Hi,

I am still experiencing the above mentioned problem. Both 0n v1.0 and on v1.5beta..

To be specific I have about 850 albums ripped by iTunes, and when I run Perfect Tunes AccurateRip on this library, it reports about 90 of those albums as "Not Present in AccurateRip".

As a test, I tried on a separate computer, re-ripping those (so called missing) albums with dbPowerAmp CD Ripper, and in every case the ripper reports that those same albums definitely are already in the database.

Furthermore, I deleted the "old" (so called missing) tracks from iTunes, and added the newly re-ripped tracks into iTunes. And then I ran PerfectTunes AccurateRip again, and even in this case, it still reports those same albums as "Not Present in AccurateRip". (Even though the albums have been totally replaced by a new version freshly re-ripped by dbPowerAmp CD Ripper, and confirmed by that application to be definitely in the AccurateRip database).

PS I also checked the quantity of tracks and their respective track lengths. In both cases, the "old" and the newly ripped versions did have the same number of tracks and the same track lengths. Which also matches the information printed on the CD labels too...

Spoon
01-12-2014, 01:42 PM
AccurateRip calculates its disc ID using track lengths and disc lead in (the pre gap to first track), when you rip a CD this pre-gap information is lost...now for most CDs it is 2 seconds, it can be guessed, for CDs which are not 2 seconds, we have a lookup but this lookup contains around 50% of the CDs that are in AccurateRip, it grows each month.

AndrewFG
01-12-2014, 05:35 PM
AccurateRip calculates its disc ID using track lengths and disc lead in (the pre gap to first track), when you rip a CD this pre-gap information is lost...now for most CDs it is 2 seconds, it can be guessed, for CDs which are not 2 seconds, we have a lookup but this lookup contains around 50% of the CDs that are in AccurateRip, it grows each month.

How does the database grow? Where does the information come from? Can I help to update the database for the CDs in my library? i.e. If I rip a track using CD Ripper and upload its results to the server, then presumably the database for that track should be updated automatically. Or?

Another question: I notice that when I rip the tracks to m4a alac using iTunes it creates a tag called "iTunes_CDDBId" (iTunes CD Database Id) which is a CD Id that is used by Apple and the GraceNote tagging database. So is there some way that you can have PerfectTunes use that CD ID as a lookup to find your AccurateRip disk ID? If that was possible, think that might help the speed and accuracy of your process...

Spoon
01-12-2014, 05:48 PM
When you rip in EAC or dBpoweramp and submit the accuraterip result, then one month later that discs TOC lookup should be there.

CDDBid is not good enough for this lookup

AndrewFG
01-13-2014, 08:02 AM
When you rip in EAC or dBpoweramp and submit the accuraterip result, then one month later that discs TOC lookup should be there.

Ok I will check again in one month.

PS is this a new feature added to the last version of Accurate rip (you say that only 50% of the database has this info, and I wonder how that can be...)

Spoon
01-13-2014, 12:58 PM
AccurateRip has been around 10 years, we started collecting these TOCs in the last 2 years

AndrewFG
01-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Ok. Thank you for your kind advice.

So just to make sure I understand it correctly: In one case I have a CD where CD Ripper reports 31 existing entries in the database, but which PerfectTunes reports not present in the database. Now I just ripped this CD again last weekend using CD Ripper, and manually told CD Ripper to upload the results to the database. So I suppose that in one month from now, there should be 32 entries (at least) in the database, and also that PerfectTunes should then report the album as found. Or??

Spoon
01-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Yes I think so.

twit
01-14-2014, 02:03 PM
This thread has be very helpful. Spoon, thanks for your infinite patience on this matter. If I followed this and related threads correctly, then:

In cases where PerfectTunes reports "not present" yet the ripping log clearly shows that the disc is present in the AR database:
- If the discIDs are different, then this is probably a case where the disc pregap is nonstandard and the AR database does not have a TOC entry for this disc (so PerfectTunes guessed wrong on the discID), and the person has not yet submitted their rip result to the AR database in time for the last database update. Once the person submits their rip, then about one month later PerfectTunes should now be able to associate the disc with the correct TOC, calculate the correct discID, and report the same AR results as the rip log.
- If the discIDs are the same (meaning the disc has a standard pregap and PrefectTunes guessed correctly), then something else has gone wrong and submitting and waiting a month probably won't change anything.

Is the above correct?

Spoon
01-14-2014, 03:41 PM
Correct

AndrewFG
01-15-2014, 05:51 AM
Thank you for the clear information.

Just a follow on question concerning your disk Ids: I have one CD (with Indonesian Gamelan music on it) that has just one track on it that is 1:04 hours in duration. Now CD Ripper reports this CD as being in the AR database, but CD Ripper downloads the meta data for a totally different CD (something about Yoga). I suppose that this is because two CDs having one track each of equal length (but different content) will generate the same disk Id. Is that so? And if so, is there any way for PerfectTunes to work around this, and check if the track is indeed a good rip?

Spoon
01-15-2014, 07:10 AM
PerfectTUNEs / AccurateRip have nothing to do with metadata, in your situation click the 'Review Metadata' button prior to ripping to see if the correct one is there for you.

AndrewFG
01-15-2014, 10:18 AM
PerfectTUNEs / AccurateRip have nothing to do with metadata, in your situation click the 'Review Metadata' button prior to ripping to see if the correct one is there for you.

Ok I will do what you suggest. I had just assumed that CD Ripper is fetching the wrong meta data because it was calculating a disk Id that is identical to another CD having the exact same track layout (but different audio content), and it is perhaps using that (shared) disk Id to lookup the meta data concerning the wrong disk...