PDA

View Full Version : Murphy's Law

Wayne
10-09-2003, 06:34 AM
Why does it happen to me? Downloaded what I thought was the latest beta version of dMC r10 (rc1.0) only to find that Spoon released an update a few hours later. The new version even fixes a bug I myself reported. :cry:

I suppose that what comes of using a product with such a good level of support. :thumbup:

Wayne

Razgo
10-09-2003, 08:40 AM
yes it was a quick update from 1.0 to 1.1

Spoon is an amazing developer indeed :thumbup:

Spoon
10-09-2003, 06:32 PM
It could be argued if I was so amazing there wouldn't be a need for 1.1 ;)

RossRoy
10-10-2003, 12:31 AM
Spoon, you are too modest! :D

Razgo
10-10-2003, 12:35 AM
i agree. i checked out some commercial music player software that you can pay up to anything from US$30.00 to US$70.00 range and none of them seem to come close to what is on offer here :D

commercial quality at freeware prices here :thumbup:

Razgo
10-10-2003, 12:45 AM
i don't forget dmc is at number one postion at the moment at download.com

http://download.com.com/sort/3150-2140-0-1-3.html?

and dap neck and neck at 4th position :D

http://download.com.com/sort/3150-2139-0-1-3.html?

donny
10-10-2003, 07:28 PM
now dmc is second - both on downloads and rating (cause OSS Audio CD Maker 2.0 was 10 votes and a 9.0 rating..)
dap (on the other hand) is now third

Joseph
10-10-2003, 08:15 PM
it dosen't convert wma to mp3, This program does not convert WMA files,"would not convert wma files to mp3", Only needed it to convert WMA to MP3 (blah blah blah) but couldn't convert WMA to MP3.

I think that the WMA 9 codec should be included by default, or as an option in DMC. It seems users can't figure out how to go to the Codec Central and download the codec they want...

WAIT! :happy:

I just got a GREAT idea,

Don't include WMA as default, but instead, leave the option TO convert WMA, and when a user wants to use it for the first time it will take them here (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-wma.htm)

any comments? :cool:

MasterOfPuppets
10-10-2003, 08:35 PM
I really think that that would really help all of the clueless users out there, looking even at the CNET reviews people just can't seem to find the website to look for codecs. Maybe in the codec menu in dMC can actually be an option 'Click Here For All Those Other Wild Codecs' so people wouldn't get confused as much. And of course, an option to have it on by default but a way to disable it.

Good thinking Joseph.

RossRoy
10-11-2003, 12:20 AM
I think there should be an install bundle with all the codec included, and you just click yes or no whether you want it or not

Unregistered
10-11-2003, 01:15 AM
I thought about that too. But then I started to think a little about the poor dialup users. That would be a HUGE download for them...

Joseph
10-11-2003, 01:54 AM
(That unregistered comment was me)

When did the ranbom skins at the bottom of the page get implemented?--I like it

Razgo
10-11-2003, 02:50 AM
the random skins at the bottom is part of testing out a skin download/review software.

donny
10-11-2003, 07:17 AM
I think that wma shouldn't be in the default install - it would increase the download a lot - 1.6Mb is still about OK. Especially because when you update dmc you don't have to reinstall codecs... maybe a bundle would be all right, taking the restof the "popular" codecs for people who don't want to think too much... the problem with that would be always addingthe newest versions of codecs. Anyway (unless I'm mistaken) in the help file it there is a link to the codecs site, so really if anybody has problems, why doesn't he read the help file - it is there for a reason:)

Joseph
10-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Well WMA is a super popular codec, and I agree with you that it shouldn't be included.

I think that on the list of codecs, a WMA "convert to" should already be there, and when a user clicks on the WMA page, DBpowerAmp Music Converter will ask them if they would like to download the WMA codec, and take them to the WMA page in the Codec Central.

BestRip
10-11-2003, 07:01 PM
I think this is a golden opportunity to get people to recognize the vastness of dBpowerAMP, if handled right... since WMA is quite widespread. However I do not believe that people will start to read help files for this... they didn't before:)
I like the idea to have a linking function in dMC to the codec central for codecs that the user needs... somehow implemented. Don't get technical with me now... youv'e lost me already... :D
The comment earlier about it being difficult to find... I have to agree. I have trouble to find stuff and I have surfed these pages for a while... Not all the dAP users are computer freaks... many (and hopefully MANY more to come:)) are just plain music lovers... (like me:))

RossRoy
10-11-2003, 07:35 PM
Maybe the installation itself could be online based, kind of like how Microsoft handles the IE install.

Download a small executable that check what is already installed on the computer and then connects to the dBpowerAmp server to check what's available, and then you just tick whatever you wish to install.

What's interesting is that it could also be used for automatic updating, easing the task of keeping everything up to date for computer neophytes.

BestRip
10-11-2003, 07:52 PM
Maybe the installation itself could be online based, kind of like how Microsoft handles the IE install.

Download a small executable that check what is already installed on the computer and then connects to the dBpowerAmp server to check what's available, and then you just tick whatever you wish to install.

What's interesting is that it could also be used for automatic updating, easing the task of keeping everything up to date for computer neophytes.

Fantastic idea: dBpowerAmp Update:D I wonder if Spoon can pull that one off? Hotter than... love it:)
It is one of the things Microsoft really has managed to make a great service minded twist on. How impressive it would be... definitely the first audio player to have that facility... or???

Joseph
10-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Come to think of it, that would be pretty cool. Having an Automatic update feature would come in handy.

include the option:

Download-

Final Releases only

or

Beta & Final Releases

Razgo
10-11-2003, 08:29 PM
The comment earlier about it being difficult to find... I have to agree. I have trouble to find stuff and I have surfed these pages for a while... Not all the dAP users are computer freaks... many (and hopefully MANY more to come) are just plain music lovers... (like me)

before the last server hack i made a forum for new members of dbpoweramp. i started to build a FAQ and Guide that newbies could follow. it also allowed for newbie questions and feel at home asking them.

i felt that was the only way to bridge the gap between first time internet users and or first time dbpoweramp users looking for all the parts, .. bringing them up to speed on how to navigate here and around dbpoweramp.

but i never got around to doing it again.

the install over the internet is a good idea but poses security risks which would need to be monitored and managed. i know mozilla has an online install feature as well. not sure how they do it though. i guess there are 2 sides to every coin because a lot of virus software products used to have online installers but now they don't because of the risks and extra management involved.

Joseph
10-11-2003, 09:44 PM
How about just an update check feature? Like spybot Search & Destroy, and other programs.

yes it was a quick update from 1.0 to 1.1
And it can be called "Quick Update" :D

Spoon
10-12-2003, 06:08 PM
Excellent idea.

MasterOfPuppets
12-02-2003, 11:40 PM
In http://www.dbpoweramp.com/Version-Changes-DMC.htm, I see at the top 'smart on demand install of Codecs' (and also closer to the middle 'Smart Install of Certain codecs'). Does this have anything to do with the automatic install mentioned in this thread or am I misinterpreting that?

Razgo
12-02-2003, 11:52 PM
i'm not sure but i only discovered in dmc cd audio input there is an option to install a new codec which will then connect you to spoon's website to the correct codec page for download. i found it very intuitive.

MasterOfPuppets
12-03-2003, 01:58 AM
Just noticed it myself...definitely is a good step there.

Spoon
12-03-2003, 07:12 PM
It will also install Convert Tos on WMA, Flac, Monkeys, Ogg and Mp4 even if the codecs are not installed, then offer to install (by going to the right install web page) on first use.

Joseph
12-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Please don't forget to update www.download.com

Spoon
12-04-2003, 07:35 PM
In the process of.

Joseph
12-12-2003, 02:14 PM
Another one of my crazy ideas:

An option to generate an Information report. So when you are helping users they can paste the information report on the forum to give you a better idea of what kind of configuration they have.

That would be a good tool in

This situation (http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=3642)

And This One (http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=3578)

The report would just generate a .txt file with the following kind of information:

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 1
?Version Information

dMC:
Release 10

Power Pack:
Release 3

dBpowerAMP CD Writer:
Not Installed

Sveta Portable Audio:
Release 4 (Beta 3)
Mpio Release 2
Removable Device Release 1

Auxiliary Input:
Release 4

File Selector
Release 4b

Installed Compression Codecs (Write)

AAC to Mp4:
[.mp4]

Avanced Audio Coding (CLI):
Release 4 [AACEnc v2][.aac]

FLAC:
Release 4 (using FLAC 1.1.0) [.flac]

Monkeys Audio:
Release 6 (Using Monkeys 3.97) [.ape]

Mp3 (Blade):
[.mp3]

Mp3 (Lame):
Lame Version 3.93.1 (Dibrom's Switches) [.mp3]

mp4 (CLI):
Release 1 [AACEnc v2][.m4a]

Mp4 to AAC:
[.aac]

MPEG Layer-3 [Xing x3enc]:
[.mp3]

MPIO FL100:
[]

Musepack mpc (CLI):
Rlease 3.1 [SV7 1.14][.mpc]

Ogg Vorbis:
Release 10 (Ogg v1.0)[.ogg]

Test Conversion (No Write):
[]

Wave:
[.wav]

Wavepack:
Release 1 (using wavepack 3.97) [.wv]

Windows Media Audio V9:
Release 1.3b [.wma]

Arrange Music:
[]

Reneame Extension:
[]

:smile2: Well tell me what you guys think!

Razgo
12-12-2003, 08:32 PM
i like that idea Joseph, it would be easy for a copy and paste to the forum then and we would have all the relivent information straight away.

Spoon
12-13-2003, 12:59 PM
Perhaps, usually it is just as easy to ask for a version, or operating system as and when required.

Unregistered
06-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Check out this thread they make an interesting suggestion to how to fix the retard users who can't figure out how to get to codec central...

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4805