PDA

View Full Version : FLAC encoder settings

HIFi Newbie
08-15-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm just wondering ....

When I rip a CD , FLAC , I have an option of FLAC encoder settings .... They range along the lines of

Lossless Level 0 (fast)
Lossless Level 5 (default)
Lossless Level 8 (highest)
Lossless Uncompressed

My question is .... does this setting make ANY difference to the sound at playback

I am happy to spend longer doing the ripping , if the output is better ..... even if the file is massive ... my prime concern is quality of the file

So , does the above setting make ANY difference to the quality of the sound , or just the speed of processing ??

I have only ripped a few at present and playing around with the settings ... don't want to rip 1000 discs , only to realise the encoder setting was wrong

Spoon
08-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Lossless is lossless, all the modes decode exactly identical audio to the source.

The different modes require different amounts of cpu time to decode (on a PC it is trivial for all modes), some people claim to hear a difference to the modes which require less processing (uncompressed) others do not.

HIFi Newbie
08-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Lossless is lossless, all the modes decode exactly identical audio to the source.

The different modes require different amounts of cpu time to decode (on a PC it is trivial for all modes), some people claim to hear a difference to the modes which require less processing (uncompressed) others do not.

Thanks Spoon .....

Kinda thought as much myself , but really good to here it from those that know

cheers