PDA

View Full Version : Help, please. Re recording pitch

Paul D
09-02-2003, 02:10 AM
Does anyone know any software which can alter the pitch of a recording?

I have a cassette that was recorded from vinyl some years ago which I now want to convert to CD. It has become obvious (comparing actual recording length to that stated in the record's disc list on the net) that the vinyl to tape recording was done with the platter revolving too fast, so I want to slow it down a bit.

Any ideas will be much appreciated, thanks.

RossRoy
09-02-2003, 09:02 AM
THe only way I know to do that is to use an audio editor and change the file's frequency.

Say the file was encoded at 44100 Hz, you'd just have to lower it to whatever value brings the audio closer to the way it should sound.

Say your file is 3 minutes long but the original is 4 minutes long, you have a 3/4 ratio. So changing the frequency to 33075 (3/4 of 44100) SHOULD slow the audio down to the normal playback speed.

daren
09-02-2003, 11:16 AM
Cool Edit Pro 2.0 has a pitch & stretch function and I'm pretty sure Sonic
Foundry products also have this kind of functionality.

HTH,
Daren.

Unregistered
09-02-2003, 03:27 PM
Thanks everyone.

I have a forgotten demo version of CoolEdit Pro's baby brother, CoolEdit 2000, which also includes this function. Worked like a charm.

Paul D
09-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks everyone.

I have a forgotten demo version of CoolEdit Pro's baby brother, CoolEdit 2000, which also includes this function. Worked like a charm.

Whoops - that was me from home - no cookie. I posted the original question from work. Thanks again, all.