PDA

View Full Version : No Sound

Craze
09-01-2003, 02:13 AM
Just wondering if any Win98SE user's have lost ALL access to audio programs after reformatting and reinstalling Win98SE? This seems to be somewhat a common thing for many to which I have yet to see any answers for in other forums.
Device Manager reports: PCI Multimedia Audio Device as Unknown w/ Yellow ? It also reports (Code 28) "Drivers not installed."
All attempts to install correct drivers are denied w/ msg stating that "a device attached to the system is not functioning."

Removing the Unknown PCI device doesn't solve the problem. Removing all multimedia devices and programs has not helped either. Trying to load the correct drivers is futile.
Since we're all AUDIO users...I was hoping someone who may have seen this problem before might be able to shed some light on the problem.

Appreciate any help. Thanks.
Craze

Spoon
09-02-2003, 05:58 PM
If you delete the device, restart Windows next time it starts it should offer to install the deivce, point it at the driver files for your sound card.

Craze
09-03-2003, 04:36 PM
I've tried this repeatedly many times. Windows always replies that the drivers are incorrect for this device. I've refrained from loading those. I've tried every audio driver on the Hardware Driver CD that came with our system and get the same popup.
Our system does not have a sound card unless it is part of the modem card. So I'm assuming that the sound is integrated onto the Mother board. (Which adds confusion about the "Unknown PCI device).
I know what audio drivers were preloaded before the reformat. (Crystal WDM Audio Codec). Not sure what the exact device they drive is, or what Windows is calling an Unknown Device?
I have no speaker icon and no volume control present.

Any suggestions from what I have added?
Thanks. Craze.

Craze
09-03-2003, 11:36 PM
Spoon,
I had to do a lot of investigating on this one. Searched for chipset *'s on Mother Board and finally found the 'known' maunfacturer of my "unknown" device. Downloaded the latest driver files and (pdf's)which Windows finally agreed to let me install.
It's good to hear the music again!
Thanks for your input and direction.

Craze

Rayz
11-08-2003, 03:11 PM
I'm having the same problem you described can you help. I've done a lot of searching. I've had my friends computer about two weeks trying to fix the same problem.
Spoon,
I had to do a lot of investigating on this one. Searched for chipset *'s on Mother Board and finally found the 'known' maunfacturer of my "unknown" device. Downloaded the latest driver files and (pdf's)which Windows finally agreed to let me install.
It's good to hear the music again!
Thanks for your input and direction.

Craze
[FONT=Arial]

Craze
11-09-2003, 12:51 AM
What have you tried so far?

padrico
12-14-2003, 01:34 PM
hi. im having the same problem with the sound... and im going bald..... where did you find the onboard chipset's *'s? please help im going nuts..... cheers...

Craze
12-14-2003, 03:25 PM
hi. im having the same problem with the sound... and im going bald..... where did you find the onboard chipset's *'s? please help im going nuts..... cheers...
With your case cover off, look at your audio input/output jacks and determine if they are attached to your mother board, or if they are attached to a sound card that plugs into your mother board.
If you have a sound card, look for the chip on it and copy down it's number. This is usually the first set of numbers on the chip.
If you don't have a sound card, then look at your mother board very carefully and at the audio leads from your CD drives to the mother board. The onboard sound chip is usually in the vicinity on the mother board where the CD audio leads plug into the board. The chipset may also be so small that you'll need a magnifying glass to capture the numbers accurately.
Once you have the numbers (and you may also find some manufacturer's ID on it as well), type in the word chipset and the number on the chip in a search box. The search should lead you to a download for the drivers you need.
Hope this helps.
Craze