PDA

View Full Version : Is there a faster way to rip CDs that are not in Accurate Rip?

davetroy
02-23-2013, 08:31 AM
I am in the process of ripping my CD collection which contains several older (mid-1980s) and somewhat obscure CDs that are apparently not in the Accurate Rip database. The ripping of these CDs takes a long time because it goes through two Accurate Rip passes, then two Ultra Secure passes. Ripping a one-hour CD could take upwards of 20-25 minutes.

Is there a way to safely speed up this process without losing data? Would I bypass those first two passes and go right to Ultra Secure once I establish that a CD is not in Accurate Rip? Can I skip Ultra Secure and assume the Accurate Rip passes were just as secure? I know that sometimes, after Ultra Secure, dbPowerAmp fixes frames, so I don't think I'd want to skip that part. Also, is there a way to tell if a CD is in the Accurate Rip database before starting the ripping process?

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Spoon
02-23-2013, 10:53 AM
If you have a drive which supports c2 pointers well, such as a plextor, then you do not need the ultra passes.

davetroy
02-23-2013, 11:45 AM
If you have a drive which supports c2 pointers well, such as a plextor, then you do not need the ultra passes.

Thanks. It does. So just enable C2 and disable Ultra?

Dave

Porcus
02-23-2013, 02:20 PM
So just enable C2

You need a drive that supports it. http://www.daefeatures.co.uk/ used to be an indication.

For CDs not in AccurateRip, you have the following options:

- measures that increase security. That could compensate for multiple re-reads. C2 support is one such. (Paradoxially, it may take longer time with C2 because such a drive is more prone to detect genuine errors. Don't complain! ;-) )

- more drives and/or measures that speed up. A few drives -- most (?) Plextor's, maybe some others, I would not trust that -- could be told to flush the cache. Without that, a re-read operation must first read so much that the cache is overwritten (otherwise the drive would just fetch the potentially wrong samples from its cache over again).

- patience! Myself I would happily leave troublesome CDs unattended overnight.

- measures that automatize the job. User bhoar here is discounting out some CD changer robots, if he has more left:
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?27368-Kodak-KDK-1000-03-and-KDK-1000-04-robots-steeply-discounted