PDA

View Full Version : Glitches in conversion MP3 > WMA

Unregistered
05-18-2002, 03:06 AM
I'm trying to convert MP3 files encoded with LAME "alt preset std" (VBR about 192kb) to WMA files of assorted bit rates (usually 96kb) for use with a portable player. When I use DMC, I get random ticks, pops and other glitches that are not in the original VBR MP3 file. The defects happen at the same point on playback and at several WMA data rates. I'm running XP.

I've tried re-installing DMC using the latest version (8d) here and have also tried different versions of MS Windows Media Player to play the WMA files. Nothing helps.

DMC will convert the same MP3 files to WAVE files flawlessly so I presume it's able to decode my VBR files ok? There's something going wrong in the conversion to WMA. I'd be happy to register if there's a fix for the glitches? DMC seems like a cool product otherwise. If you want a sample file with glitches Spoon, please let me know.

Any suggestions???

MODatic
05-18-2002, 07:18 AM
Can you convert a file to wave then convert the wave to WMA and then tell us if you get glitches?

This'll help us pin-point the problem.

Unregistered
05-18-2002, 01:33 PM
If I convert it first to WAVE and then convert that file to WMA it works fine (no glitches). If I do it directly, then I get the random glitches.

I downloaded the 14 day free trial of "All to WMA" from Litex Media and that seems to work fine on the same MP3 files going direct from MP3 to WMA. I'd rather register DMC, however, as it's much more versatile.

Spoon
06-02-2002, 06:10 AM
If you have the power pack, you might want to try the WMA 8 CLI encoder.