PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary Input - Converting Voice; What setting??

Unregistered
08-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Having fun using dMC Auxiliary Input however, having some difficulty determining the optimum setting for voice conversion. Input source is audio tape; converting to MP3; for a one-hour tape, the output is approx 55Mb; I would think there's a way to minimize the size of the output file; currently I do have "Voice" selected for Compression setting quality.
Is there a better setting that will achieve what I need? Quality isn't a huge issue here...

Razgo
08-17-2003, 02:51 AM
have you tried speex? it's in beta here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=2285&highlight=speex

daren
08-21-2003, 03:40 AM
Try playing with the bitrate and mono/stereo setting....

Halving the bitrate will give files which are half the size.

Best regards,
daren.

MikeCerm
02-05-2005, 09:00 AM
MP3 is about as bad as you can get for low bitrate encoding. Definitely check out Speex, but also the Windows Media Audio 9.1 Voice codec. It is really good for really low bitrate voice situations, plus it can be played on just about every PC through Windows Media Player. If your using MP3 for portability, then I suggest using WMA9.1 (not Voice, but the regular one). It's almost as universal as MP3, and it'll sound good enough for intelligible speech all the way down to 16kbps or so. WMA Voice will sound better at the same bitrate, but the Voice codec is less portable than the WMA standard.