PDA

View Full Version : if only I could maintain my directory tree

roadkill401
12-17-2012, 10:12 PM
This is an awsome tool and I do like the power and function that it offers.

I really like the batch converter for use with my ipod. I am a music buff and do buy quite a few albums every few weeks. They all get converted to FLAC and put onto my NAS drive so I can play them through remote itunes.

Here is the problem. I have an ipod and every 3-6 months I want to update it to have the new albums on it. It may seem dumb but the fastest way to do that is to wipe the ipod, and then do a full conversion of all my music from FLAC to m4a and then load it onto the ipod.

What I want is a duplicate full album directory tree with only m4a files and not FLAC.
Here is where you software is VERY lacking. You have the option to put the converted files into the exact same directory that they came out of. this doesn't really work well for me, as I need to make a duplcate copy of the music collection (takes too much space) then do the conversion from FLAC to m4a, then search for all the FLAC files in the new copy and delete them. Big waste of resources.

But if I choose the other option and force it into a new directory, it puts all the files into a single FLAT directory. No Tree structure.

I can choose Dynamic but that bases everything off the ID tags and you loose your album tree. As some albums are compilations with various artists. it scatters these out to the four winds so you need to run special cases for each album that is not perfect with one artist per disk. and this is a common occurrence.

There is NO OPTION to duplicate the current directory tree but put it somewhere else.

That would be my wish for the perfect feature that you currently don't have.

Matt Mackinnon
paid user (ill faired Sveta 5)
paid user dbpoweramp 14

Spoon
12-18-2012, 05:03 AM
Select Dynamic Naming:

and use:

[origpath]\[origfilename]

That will maintain the full tree, which can be put in a different drive, or folder. If you need to remove some of the original path you can:

[trimfirstfolder][origpath][]\[origfilename]

or to remove the first 2 folders:

[trimfirstfolder][trimfirstfolder][origpath][][]\[origfilename]