PDA

View Full Version : convert an mp3 file to flac file

alex4121971
12-02-2012, 02:34 PM
HEY EVERYBODY, first time for me in this forum,need to ask something that troubles me for a really long period.I have converted in the past some mp3 files (in several kbs 128,256,320 etc. to flac or wav files)and my question may seem foolish but here we go...Does the new FLAC or WAV file which is the outcome of the mp3 converted file has better sound quality than the last one??? In other words if i convert an mp3 file to a flac file,will the flac file have really loosless quality that will overcome the original quality of the mp3 file???

Spoon
12-02-2012, 03:02 PM
>mp3 converted file has better sound quality than the last one???

it sounds exactly the same, except it now takes up more room on the hdd.

alex4121971
12-02-2012, 05:36 PM
>mp3 converted file has better sound quality than the last one???

it sounds exactly the same, except it now takes up more room on the hdd.Thanks a lot man, thought so,,but i wasn't quite sure due to the length of the new files.anyway mainly i believed that any archive located in your pc(mp3,mp4,AAC, e.t.c,)can be converted to a smaller, more compressed type of archive, in the best case at the same sound quality,thanks for confirming that fact...:cool:(although to be honnest, i was hoping that the converter app could in some mysterious way uncompress some hidden loosless format in any mp3 of 128kbps for e.t.c...ridiculus...:p

Porcus
12-02-2012, 06:22 PM
lieved that any archive located in your pc(mp3,mp4,AAC, e.t.c,)can be converted to a smaller, more compressed type of archive, in the best case at the same sound quality

At sufficient bitrate you won't notice the difference. But you should not transcode lossy --> lossy, as the artifacts will be even worse (you have surely heard the effect on YouTube).

Notice that mp4 is a container which can contain various streams, usually either AAC (lossy) or ALAC (lossless).