PDA

View Full Version : Oppo 83 transcoding some songs dont play other are horrible buzz in speakers.

joeh
11-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Using win7 x64 pro. 8gig mem. Love the layout of Asset but cant get consistent playback. Transcoding from flac to pcm as the Oppo-83 cant do native flac. I have tried 24bit enabled and disabled. For instance a album, 16 songs play fine the last song is a terrible buzzing in the speakers. These are flac. Some albums some songs play others skip over one or two might buzz. Any thoughts?

Spoon
11-26-2012, 05:03 PM
the oppo cannot play 24 bits as LPCM (the transcoded format).

joeh
11-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Given I don't have 24bit enabled that shouldn't be a problem should it? If 16 out of 17 songs on album play fine any idea why the last one doesn't? Is it likely the last song was encoded 24 bit and the rest 16?

Spoon
11-27-2012, 04:26 AM
You would have to look at the file properties.

joeh
11-29-2012, 11:24 AM
I,m still having issues with some songs playing on the 83 and others not. Am I the only one with this issue?

This from oppo

Joe,

Yes, the player will support 24-bit LPCM over the network.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

mville
11-29-2012, 01:59 PM
I,m still having issues with some songs playing on the 83 and others not. Am I the only one with this issue?

I also have this issue. Some tracks are skipped for no apparent reason, using the latest firmware version dated March 07, 2012.

I contacted OPPO 8 months ago regarding this issue but they chose to ignore me.

Which firmware are you using?

I suggest you contact OPPO by email. Also, send them a copy of a file that skips. Another user reporting this may encourage them to address the issue.

wjc789
12-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Wow - I'm usually just a lurker here but could not resist this post. I have similar skip or buzz problems and the problem AFAIK lies with the Oppo. I have an 83SE. I initially thought it c/b Asset but I installed foobar and got identical results. I sent Oppo some flac files for their testing.

On Nov 12, Oppo replied to me as follows:
"The engineers have not given us a status update on your error. They have been able to replicate your errors but they have not told us yet if these errors are related to a hardware deficiency or if they are software correctable."

I'm still waiting but I've been giving them the benefit of douby given their new 103/105 releases. Perhaps a few nudges to them from you referencing this may accelerate the process.

Bill

joeh
12-02-2012, 03:14 PM
This is all very interesting. My oppo is just an 83. It is very well modded by Ric Schultz. Do to the money I have into it I really dont want to get rid of it. All of these flac and wave files play fine in media monkey. These problems also seem to be inconsistent. One day a file will play another day it may not. It would be great to push Oppo on this if it is their issue. I will say Oppo tried to push the blame to the software side when I had dialog with them. Frankly every piece of software I have tried has done this. Except foobar but it crashes every 4 minutes for me so.....

wjc789
12-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Strange that Media Monkey works. Oppo took my problem seriously when foobar failed as well. My problem is consistent for any given track - it either plays fine, hesitates then skips, or buzz. I have even sourced the same flac track from multiple sources and one source will work and another won't. I have also written tracks that failed to a CD and the CD played fine. Then ripped that CD back to flac and the flacs fail. I have converted flac to wav and the wav fails as well. All tracks I've had problems with are just redbook (16/44/1). My conclusion at this time is that it's Oppo. It's fair to say that different ripping software could give slightly different file sizes etc but regardless of this the track should play.

Obviously the flacs play fine for me on my PC. I've also briefly analyzed the flacs/wavs in Audacity and looks fine.

If Media Monkey is free/trial then maybe I'll give it a shot just for troubleshooting purposes. On the positive side, Oppo engineers have duplicated the problem and hopefully are researching.

joeh
12-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Strange that Media Monkey works. Oppo took my problem seriously when foobar failed as well. My problem is consistent for any given track - it either plays fine, hesitates then skips, or buzz. I have even sourced the same flac track from multiple sources and one source will work and another won't. I have also written tracks that failed to a CD and the CD played fine. Then ripped that CD back to flac and the flacs fail. I have converted flac to wav and the wav fails as well. All tracks I've had problems with are just redbook (16/44/1). My conclusion at this time is that it's Oppo. It's fair to say that different ripping software could give slightly different file sizes etc but regardless of this the track should play.

Obviously the flacs play fine for me on my PC. I've also briefly analyzed the flacs/wavs in Audacity and looks fine.

If Media Monkey is free/trial then maybe I'll give it a shot just for troubleshooting purposes. On the positive side, Oppo engineers have duplicated the problem and hopefully are researching.

I think I will hit Oppo up with this. More voices cant hurt. I know it is very late in the 83 game, but hopefully they can address this.

mville
12-02-2012, 08:13 PM
I have similar skip or buzz problems and the problem AFAIK lies with the Oppo. I have an 83SE. I initially thought it c/b Asset but I installed foobar and got identical results.

I have a BDP-83 modified/upgraded to the BDP-83SE specification.

When first I reported the problem to OPPO, they stated that the problem lay with Asset and that I should use Foobar as the DLNA server. I tested with Foobar and the same tracks still skipped.

This was also reported to OPPO with copies of the offending, skipping files. They never responded.

At least it is good to know that other 83/83SE users that have the same issue, have reported it to OPPO, the more the better.

I believe the problem lies with the OPPO firmware not reading/decoding the flac files correctly and am bemused as to why they have chosen not to fix the problem.

wjc789
12-04-2012, 09:40 AM
I have a BDP-83 modified/upgraded to the BDP-83SE specification.

When first I reported the problem to OPPO, they stated that the problem lay with Asset and that I should use Foobar as the DLNA server. I tested with Foobar and the same tracks still skipped.

This was also reported to OPPO with copies of the offending, skipping files. They never responded.

At least it is good to know that other 83/83SE users that have the same issue, have reported it to OPPO, the more the better.

I believe the problem lies with the OPPO firmware not reading/decoding the flac files correctly and am bemused as to why they have chosen not to fix the problem.

I think we should all pursue this with Oppo and state that this is not a specific unit repair issue as per forum discussions. I will email them in next day or so asking for an update and stating this fact. There is strength in numbers. As I said before, I will give them time given their focus on new product releases but we need to keep the heat on a bit. We should all report back here with any updates.

wjc789
12-13-2012, 01:51 PM
I received an email reply from Oppo today as follows:

"Unfortunately there is no resolution to these errors at the moment. The engineers are aware of the issues but at this time we do not know when we will be able to resolve the errors. "

SO I wouldn't get any hopes up about a resolution.