PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye ZIP!

RossRoy
08-12-2003, 12:48 PM
I think PKWare has gone insane.

They have released a new version of the ZIP compression algorithm that is NOT compatible with any other version of ZIP decompression software. So all the WinZIP, Stuff-It, Aladdin, and any other you can think off, won't be able to decompress new ZIP files. Talk about a GIANT leap backwards!

ZIP being the most used compression software on the net, I wonder why they decided to do that? They will most probably kill the format altogether.

Here is a link to the article (http://www.branchez-vous.com/actu/03-08/07-273901.html). (sorry, it's in french)

So, what do you all think of that move?

BestRip
08-14-2003, 09:09 AM
An absolutely BRILLIANT!!! move...

Maybe some of the execs in the company noticed they have too few gazillion dollars in their bank accounts... and are experiencing a sensation of panic spreading... :)
I think however that ZIP may very well outlive the company on this current course. :)

Joseph
09-02-2003, 07:13 PM
maybe it should have the extension "SZIP" for "SecureZip" to avoid confusion.

ToolNut
05-15-2004, 10:50 PM
This whole deal about the new zip files doesnt effect me...I use WinAce v2.5 I dunno i think its a better program than win zip

RossRoy
05-16-2004, 12:04 AM
I personally prefer RAR, gives much better compression over Zip and it's got so many more options, mainly, splitting archive WITHOUT having to archive to a removable drive directly! (Ok, it may have changed on the Zip front for that, but last time I used Zip, it didn't have this option.)