PDA

View Full Version : linux port for dbpoweramp

Unregistered
05-16-2002, 11:34 AM
i really would like to see a linux version of dbpoweramp. have you thought of creating one? linux is starting to get more popular now, considdering windows is getting more like crap. please considder creating a linux port, the linux community would appreciate it

tfolck
05-17-2002, 08:09 PM
I use linux and Windows 2000. I use Windows because I need to use dbpoweramp, it's the best converter.

Unfortunately, just converting dbpoweramp to linux wouldn't do the trick. all of the codecs that are used to convert the music are actually small windows programs. All of those would have to be ported to linux.

Or, if dbpoweramp was able to be ported, it could use all of the codecs that have already been developed for linux.

For faster devlopment and porting to other OSs, the creator of dbpoweramp may want to consider licensing the program under GPL (General Public License) or the LGPL (Lesser General Public License).

If this were to happen, there are literally thousands of open source developers who like to work on projecst like this. An added bounus would be that there would be free help and devlopment, but the author of dbpoweramp would still have control of the program.

Somthing to think about.

edgarde
08-22-2002, 10:15 AM
I don't expect this ever will happen, but if it did I'd be the happiest puppy on the block.

I currently encode at work and migrate everything to my home box, which is Linux (new distro every few months, usually Red Hat) with the Gnome desktop. XMMS is my player; I've encoded using gRip but found it unstable.

itsme
09-06-2002, 11:09 PM
This would be a good thing...
one less reason to visit the windows partition!

totalXSive
09-07-2002, 10:16 AM
Doesn't it work via WINE?

tfolck
05-11-2003, 01:40 AM
I got dbpoweramp running on linux flawlessly. I had absolutly no problems running this. You can't however, right click on the file and select convert, it still has to be run from the shell, but you can select the files you want to convert.

Just install dbpoweramp on the windows side and run it under linux with latest version of WINE

Ronny
05-07-2005, 06:50 PM
I no longer use microShaft winBlows!

So... I will wait until either these guys port their software over or someone else does it first.

The first one in is the winner!

:lustig12: Lets go! Where is it?

Ron F.
06-18-2007, 08:39 PM
There are now only a couple of programs keeping me tied to a Windows platform - I can count them on one hand and dBpowerAMP is one of them.

I think all the codecs, or at least most of them, have equivalents under Linux. I would like to see dBpowerAMP appear as a Debian/Ubuntu application. I would like to leave Windows behind, and never look back.

I just cannot see myself installing Windows on another computer that I purchase ever again.

It is time to evolve or perish ... ok, I maybe I am overselling the idea:)

-Ron

LtData
06-18-2007, 10:10 PM
As it has been said before, there is one guy working on all of the Illustrate products, Spoon. Whether dMC makes it to another platform is highly doubtful.

Also, one codec that doesn't have an equivalent, at least not an encoding equivalent, is the WMA codec.

bone2006
07-08-2007, 01:51 PM
I would love to see this come to Linux as well. Linux is becoming more and more popular. Dell's pushing them on a few of their systems already. When the future of windows has DRM, requires hardware that most people don't have, is filled with spyware and has weak security and to top it all off it can cost anywhere from 100-400 dollars it's digging it self in a hole that it is getting harder to get out of. Those in emerging countries such as Brazil, India, China...etc that may not have had the money to get a legit copy of windows, still could get a copy, now with Vista they have increased the registration, which makes it harder for people in countries who can't afford to fork over that money run the software.

Therefore you don't have to be a rock scientist to understand that Linux is taking off. Ever wanted a free operating system that doesn't have spyware, no virus, more secure, faster file system without defragging, gives you flexibility in what you want. I've meet more people who are switching to linux this year than ever before. Could be because linux does offer you so much for free or could be that everybody is avoiding windows vista. Eitherway I think most people would love to see dbpoweramp in linux.

It doesn't have to be the same version as the windows version even if somethings are missing. Nero has a linux version, personally I think it's crappy, but it's easy to see that more and more people out there are making linux applications.

LtData
07-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Linux still has a very small percentage of the OS market. Also, there is still only one developer.

bhoar
07-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Linux still has a very small percentage of the OS market. Also, there is still only one developer.

The best approach with the above in mind is to find out if Wine properly supports the device calls that allow for SPTI and/or Windows Internal I/O. If so, it's quite possible you could get it working under certain linux distributions as-is.

-brendan

Helvidius
07-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Has anyone tried dbpoweramp running in Windows in a virtual machine within Linux? Is performance acceptable?

I got dbpoweramp running on linux flawlessly. I had absolutly no problems running this. You can't however, right click on the file and select convert, it still has to be run from the shell, but you can select the files you want to convert.

Just install dbpoweramp on the windows side and run it under linux with latest version of WINE

Spoon
07-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Virtual Machines run natively on the CPU so performance should be only a few % less than a normal PC (assuming you have the ram).

volvoguy
08-01-2007, 06:21 AM
Also, one codec that doesn't have an equivalent, at least not an encoding equivalent, is the WMA codec.

Although to be honest, anyone using Linux as their primary OS probably isn't going to be encoding a lot of Windows Media files. ;-) Since you can PLAY WMA files in Linux, surely that means there's a decoder that could be used to convert WMA files into something else.

Part of what makes DMC cool though is how it's built into Windows Explorer and not a separate app to deal with. If it were ported to Linux, I think the developer would need to take into account all the various window/file managers out there to get the same ease of use we currently have in Windows. Personally though, even if it were ported to work with Gnome and it's file manager, that'd be enough for me. Then even if I used something other than Gnome (ie. KDE, Enlightenment, etc), I would have the option of installing the Gnome bits to make it work. That'd be a lot easier than having to keep a Windows installation around for audio ripping/encoding!

I'm just thinking out loud though... We don't want Spoon to spread himself too thin and sacrifice the quality of the product on one platform just so he can say it runs on another. I'll take quality over quantity any day!

Aaron

dslater
09-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Has anyone tried dbpoweramp running in Windows in a virtual machine within Linux?Yes, I have it running nicely in an XP vm under vmWare. Performance is quite acceptable.

I also have it installed in Ubuntu under WINE where it plays better than RhythmBox (of course it outperformed all of its WinDoze competitors as well, which is why I bought it). I'm still working on getting all the parts to work, however. So far the Player & Player Beta both run nicely, but most of the menu items don't run, making it a tad difficult to add skins, for instance (workaround: reinstall the skin you want and it will switch automatically).

marnie6771
10-29-2007, 06:36 PM
I have it running now in Wine in the latest Mandriva PowerPack (2008). It seems to perform well, but it takes a while before it recognizes discs and has crashed several times. However, when it runs, it runs very smoothly and hardly slower than under Windows...

cheers,

Marcel

Ron F.
12-05-2007, 04:55 AM
I have crossed the great divide, and am now running Ubuntu 7.10 on my home computer, and for better or worse, have left M$ Windoze behind.

I am running dBpoweramp CD Ripper (Release 12.3) under wine (version 0.9.46.) It works quite well, with no noticeable slowness compared to Windows at all (as far as I can remember.) Note: I am running the Compiz-Fusion window manager with full effects activated.

I have ripped about ten CDs to flac this way and am quite happy that it is working.

There are two issues:
1. I cannot seem to minimize the ripper's window - it wants to stay open. This isn't too awful, as I can just leave it open on its own virtual desktop under Compiz-Fusion - it sits there pasted to one of the 3D cube faces :cool: I note this as a problem, because all other Windows applications I have running under wine minimize and restore without any difficulty on the Linux desktop.

2. It has a lot of difficulty ejecting a CD after the rip is done - usually the "eject after rip" fails, and I have to go to the Linux desktop, right-click on the CD that is on the desktop, and force an eject. If I click on the Ripper's Eject button - usually nothing happens. Pushing on the CD tray's eject button does nothing either. The CD is locked in there. EAC does not appear to be exhibiting this problem - in fact EAC works perfectly under wine in every respect. I cannot tell it wasn't written to run under wine in the first place.

The good news is that dBpoweramp ripper has not crashed on my system. The only real annoyance is not ejecting Cds properly!

-Ron

Spoon
12-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Try R13 for cd ejecting, the code was changed.

Ron F.
12-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Try R13 for cd ejecting, the code was changed.

Spoon, thank you very much for you response. I loaded R13 over R12.3 this morning on my Ubuntu machine and it has the same problem - the CD is locked in the tray, and I have to go to the Linux desktop, right-click on the CD icon, and select "Eject" to get it out. After I do that and take the CD out, if I then close the empty tray, the ripper will still not eject the tray. At this point there is no CD icon on the Linux desktop - so getting the tray open now is more difficult! After closing the ripper, the button on the tray works again.

I can force open the tray by typing "eject /dev/scd0" in a terminal window to get it open, or by using a paper clip:) Anyway, that problem is still present when running under wine.

-Ron

Ron F.
12-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Spoon,

There is something else that may be useful to know - in regards to making the ripper run more smoothly under wine:

If I start the ripper without anything in the CD tray, it gives a list of bogus tracks in the window. There are usually 32 of them, they have track numbers, random play lengths and bizarre estimated sizes. In this state, I can eject the CD tray, and insert a CD, but it won't necessarily read the CD after being inserted.

The only sure fire way to run dB ripper under wine, is to insert the CD first, then start up dB and rip the CD, or do whatever. When done, close dB and then eject the CD after dB has been shut down. Inserting or ejecting a CD while dB is running under Wine is bad. As long as that rule is not violated, dB runs great under wine - just don't touch the CD tray!

-Ron

Ron F.
12-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Something else that might prove useful to people running dBpoweramp CD Ripper on a Linux machine, is to configure wine so that it treats CDGrab.exe as a Windows NT 4.0 program. I found all other options, such as the default setting or Win XP, to be problematic.

Setting it to NT 4.0 causes the CD tray behavior to improve considerably. I no longer get the list of random track data showing up when the tray is closed and no CD is present, the eject button on the tray will work if hit twice in succession. The Ripper's Eject button still does not work and the window cannot be minimized, but the program is pleasant to use and it is mapped properly to a virtual workspace (I am using the Gnome Desktop Manager, full Compiz 3D effects turned on, Emerald theme manager using the truglass engine.) All these effects apply to the dB window! Cool.

A further modification of wine configuration for dB is to not allow the window manager to control the windows generated by dB. Then - everything appears to work correctly. The Ripper's window can be minimized/restored, the Ripper's Eject button works, etc. The drawback here is that it is no longer mapped to a virtual workspace, and so appears on every virtual desktop. No big deal since it can be minimized anyway! When minimized, there is a little box at the bottom of the Linux desktop that can be clicked to raise the window back up. An icon for the ripper no longer appears on the running application panel for Linux, but the little box I spoke of is just above it.

It all works! A few configuration settings in wine make a big difference. I do miss my desktop theme (using the Emerald truglass engine) being applied to the dBpoweramp windows with this setup - but the application seems to work perfectly under Linux now. It just looks like a M$ window mixed in with all the other Compiz-driven windows:)

-Ron

Spoon
12-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Really there should be no difference between nt4 and xp hen accessing a cd drive, no differences.

Ron F.
12-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Really there should be no difference between nt4 and xp hen accessing a cd drive, no differences.

Well, then it might be a bug in wine, or more likely an issue in one of the open source libraries that is being used by cdgrab.exe. If we knew which one, I could load the original M$ version, and tell wine to use it when cdgrab.exe is running instead of the default version provided by wine.

-Ron

Ron F.
12-10-2007, 04:12 PM

Upon further investigation: I had been running version 0.9.46 of wine, which is what is included with the Ubuntu 7.10 Linux distribution. Today I installed the latest release of wine: version 0.9.50 over the earlier release. After the wine upgrade, the differences in cd drive behavior have vanished, and the default wine settings now work. So, I imagine it was a bug in wine.

The one issue remaining, is minimization/restore using the Gnome Desktop Manager - that does not seem to work unless window management for cdgrab.exe is disabled.

I have ripped about 20 CDs now using dBpoweramp Ripper on Linux - I like it and intend to continue using it this way.

-Ron

cbsim
12-13-2007, 02:58 AM
Anyone having the same problem?
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9492

Ron F.
12-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Anyone having the same problem?
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9492

WMA conversion in dMC when running on Linux does not work I think, because the library WMVCore.DLL is missing. I have not tried this, (I don't use WMA, only FLAC and ogg) but you could download the library from here: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?wmvcore.

-Ron

LtData
12-13-2007, 07:06 PM
It depends on elements that are normally within Windows itself. If you could find what it needs (some method of tracking what files are accessed in Windows when encoding would do it), I would think you could put them in the "wine" folders and trick it.

Ron F.
12-14-2007, 04:12 AM
It depends on elements that are normally within Windows itself. If you could find what it needs (some method of tracking what files are accessed in Windows when encoding would do it), I would think you could put them in the "wine" folders and trick it.

Well, there is more missing than just WMVCore.DLL. I could not get dMC to convert to WMA.

Decoding WMA on a Linux platform can be done using pacpl or soundKonvert. Going the other way however - converting to WMA, I don't know.

-Ron