PDA

View Full Version : Ripping Questions

waller
06-17-2012, 08:31 AM
I have started to rip my CDs (btw, Spoon, thank you for all your effort creating this program), and have a few questions after seeing the results so far.

1. Name ordering-I thought that the program would automatically reverse the ordering of names (ie Stan Getz as Getz, Stan). Am I missing something?

2. Metadata-Is it possible to change the metadata after the ripping session? I had not given a lot of thought about the genre, and may want to change things later on.

3. Naming scheme-For non comps, is the default naming scheme sufficient, or do people change this?

4. Cue sheets-Is it possible to add cue sheets after the rip if I choose to do so?

Thanks for any assistance.

Spoon
06-17-2012, 10:03 AM
1. Only if the online database had such a sort tag (it would be written as artistsort)
2. Yes, but is hard to do so.
3. Sufficient
4. No

garym
06-17-2012, 10:11 AM
1. Name ordering-I thought that the program would automatically reverse the ordering of names (ie Stan Getz as Getz, Stan). Am I missing something?

2. Metadata-Is it possible to change the metadata after the ripping session? I had not given a lot of thought about the genre, and may want to change things later on.

for 1, add artistsort tags. Use ID TAG UPDATE DSP from dbpa or mp3tag to add this field to your tags.
for 2, yes, not sure why Spoon said this is hard (maybe we're talking about two different things). You can edit any of your files metadata easily with dbpa ID TAG UPDATE DSP or use mp3tag. Change genre, artist names, etc. I have very few rips where I don't need to change at least something in the metadata. I try to do this in the ripping screen before the rip, but if I don't it is easy to change afterwards.

waller
06-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Spoon and Gary,
Thanks for the quick responses. Cue sheets aren't critical for me, so no biggie. Gary, thanks for the tip on editing the tags in mp3tag, sometimes I forget how I listed a particular artist, and now I can easily check everything. I added the ID Tag, and will check it out. Thanks again.