PDA

View Full Version : Individual Bad Frames & Secure Rip Abort Settings

Dexter
05-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Could someone please explain this setting to me a little more? As stated in a previous thread, I am reasonably confident (based on tests in dBpoweramp & EAC, and what I saw in the DAE Drive Features Database) that my identical drives support C2. Whether they support C2 "well" or not, I don't know. (Both drives are HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH50N.)

In the Secure & Advanced Options feature it says:

Individual Bad Frames is the process of re-ripping identified error frames, by ripping multiple times it is possible to recover many errors. Maximum Re-Reads is important, if your drive supports c2 pointers well and for maximum recovery set to a high number such as 700. Without good c2 support (or no c2) 50 has to be the maximum (otherwise the chance of getting matching errors is high).

In the Setup Guide it says:

Maximum Re-Reads control how many times a 'bad' section is retried, with C2 pointer support this can be set to a higher number, such as 60. Without C2 support it is not recommended that this value be increased, as there is more of a chance of a consistent error getting through ripping.

One makes a distinction of whether drive supports C2 "well", the other does not. The default setting is 34. The difference in the suggested setting is quite different in these two guides. This is why I'm confused.

It might be helpful to me if I understood this setting a little better, what it does, why you should raise it if your drive supports C2 & is it important to know if that C2 support is "good" or not. What would be a good recommendation for me?

Also, do most users set Secure Rip Abort settings? (Some have told me these are not really necessary.)

Thank you!

thexfile
05-12-2012, 01:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/qEnLf.jpg
These settings work good for me. My drives are ASUS BW-12B1LT and BW-12B1ST.

You should never need to go over 5 times on Re-Reads. Your drives firmware already has data error correction.

Porcus
05-13-2012, 11:33 AM
You should never need to go over 5 times on Re-Reads.

Huh? dBpoweramp requires 10 matches.

thexfile
05-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Huh? dBpoweramp requires 10 matches.
Where did you see that?

Porcus
05-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Where did you see that?

http://dbpoweramp.com/secure-ripper.htm :

http://dbpoweramp.com/images/misc/secure-method-db.png

(If necessary, I set that figure to 999 and leave it ripping overnight.)

thexfile
05-15-2012, 12:10 AM
http://dbpoweramp.com/secure-ripper.htm :

(If necessary, I set that figure to 999 and leave it ripping overnight.)
Thanks for posting. :smile:

999 seems like a lot of wear on your drive.

eaglescout1998
05-15-2012, 02:34 AM
I believe 999 refers to the maximum number of times an individual frame is re-read before it moves on....

I have mine set to abort when 100 frames need to be re-read.

Porcus
05-15-2012, 06:02 AM
999 seems like a lot of wear on your drive.

That's what drives are for ;) I have only worn out one, and besides, people are throwing away their old computers, so now I am closing in on a two-figure number of drives if I want to. Some are certainly not worth using. And while I do rely on the famous PX-230A, I have let other drives try the dirty jobs first.

My strategy for troublesome discs, though, was to put them all aside for later. Then try a second drive. Quite a few of them -- say, one out of three -- would resolve by just trying a second drive. After a third, I was down to half of them. Only then did I resort to the more extreme 9's.

Dexter
05-16-2012, 09:44 AM
1) I've been told on another forum that it's not a good idea to enable C2 Support even if my drive supports it - because they don't always do so "well" & that errors can get through. On the other hand, I've been told that if you get an accurate rip on the first pass, that's really all that matters. I chose to enable C2 Support, but I also set my Ultra-Secure settings to 2 - 4 - 2. Is this a reasonable setting?

2) As far as the Maximum Re-Reads setting for Individual Bad Frames is concerned, I don't quite understand why setting it to a higher value (than the default "34") is suggested when C2 Support is enabled vs. leaving it at 34 if you don't enable C2. I also don't understand why one instruction gives an example of a high setting of "700" and the Setup Guide says "50".

3) For my Secure Rip Abort Settings, I just went with the recommendation of 1, 100 & 10 minutes.

As a relative "newbie" who is getting ready to do a significant amount of ripping, I just want to make sure I have these set properly - so please feel free to comment & advise!

Thank you!

Spoon
05-16-2012, 10:26 AM
1) This might be true in other programs, but in dBpoweramp as long as C2 pointers are not doing anything bad (ie some people enable them and find a track has 10000 frames to re-rip, this is c2 pointers basically not functioning on that drive)

2) C2 pointers allow the program to drop re-reads which have errors, without them the error can slip through because of drive interpolation.

Dexter
05-18-2012, 09:13 PM
So....just making sure I understand here....with c2 enabled, dBpoweramp uses this to mark (i.e. identify) bad frames. If the Maximum Re-Reads value is too low, you are limiting the number of times the program can re-read the bad frames. With c2, you want to raise that "ceiling" so the program enough chances to re-read those frames.

Over-simplified, but is that the basic idea?

So what would be a good setting to start with? 50 or 60? Or something much higher like the 700 mentioned in one guide?

Spoon
05-19-2012, 05:20 AM
Correct, 50 or 60 should be enough, 700 is for extreme cases (I have seen certain drives recover after this number, but this would not apply to all drives).