PDA

View Full Version : Tag / dBpoweramp ripping / JRiver

MDalton
04-18-2012, 10:35 PM
I've testing dBp to know if it fits my needs with JRiver MC. I "created" a new tag called "Grouping" (that I use in JR) and ripped 1 CD (HDCD) to WAV, 1 CD (Redbook) to WAV and 1 CD to FLAC. When I imported those albuns to JRiver, standard metadata (including image) was OK but "Grouping" tag in JR was blank. Can I fix it?

Spoon
04-19-2012, 04:30 AM
Leaving WAVE aside for a moment (as it has funny tagging), concentrating on FLAC - does grouping tag work with that?

MDalton
04-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Unfortunately not. As it wasn't work with WAV I tried with FLAC. I "created" a tag named exactly like in JR (Grouping). When I ripped CD, I use Grouping from dBp to name the file and works fine (both with WAV and FLAC) but when imported to JR, Grouping tag was blank.
I have something like 800 albums in iTunes (ALAC or AIFF) using Grouping tag and I will start to rip something like 3,000 CDs to WAV and need Grouping tag - I use it to group the Classical pieces, like 'Adams_1980_1981_'Harmonium'. Can I've doing something wrong?

Spoon
04-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Tag a FLAC file in J River with grouping, then look at the tags in dBpoweramp (right click on file >> Edit Tags), it could be the tag is being written to a different name.

MDalton
04-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Tagged one FLAC and one WAV file in JRiver with Grouping. Both files, looking in dBpoweramp Music Converter > Edit ID-Tag, are with Grouping OK. So, when tagged Grouping in JR it doesn't "disappears" in dBpoweramp.

Spoon
04-19-2012, 03:35 PM
If you edit that grouping value, ie change the tag value and load again in J River, does it pick it up?

MDalton
04-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Edited Grouping value in dBp and press OK. Checked value in dBp and it didn't change - tried several times...

dbfan
04-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Your security software might have sandboxed dbpoweramp, so tag updates do not happen.

MDalton
04-20-2012, 09:42 AM
First of all, I'd like to thank you. I am running Windows 7 through Parallels in my iMac. If I had not to do (and only if) and I could not use dBpoweramp to rip my CDs, because this tag issue, how much different will be to use JRiver to rip them?

Spoon
04-20-2012, 10:18 AM
J River does not use AccurateRip, so there can be no certainty there are no errors in the rip (as the CD drive on its own can never self determine this, even with c2 pointers).

MDalton
04-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I figured it. It will be no easy decision: 1. edit Grouping tag when rip with dBpoweramp (because I use Grouping and Title to name the file), then import to JRiver and edit Grouping again; or 2. edit Grouping tag when ripping with JRiver. And all that to rip 3.000 CDs....

MDalton
04-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Your security software might have sandboxed dbpoweramp, so tag updates do not happen.

*********, how can I solve this problem?

MDalton
04-24-2012, 11:01 PM
J River does not use AccurateRip, so there can be no certainty there are no errors in the rip (as the CD drive on its own can never self determine this, even with c2 pointers).

Spoon, I fixed the problem: moved out from Parallels to Boot Camp.
This way Grouping tag works flawless, so files ripped with dBpoweramp and imported to JRiver shows Grouping now.