PDA

View Full Version : How can I get DBPoweramp to show me which Track and Album Gain values it has applied

roycymru
03-12-2012, 01:01 PM
I have ripped my CDs to FLAC using DBPoweramp with the DSP RG Replay Gain appied which calculates the Album Gain and Track Gain.

I am trying out a couple of programs for managing my software J.River Media Centre and Foobar 2000. However both are giving me different readings for the Track Gain and Album Gain that DBPoweramp has calculated. For example for 10CC (The Very Best of), J.River is displaying a Replay (Track) Gain of -10.89 and and AlbumGain of -9.98, whereas Foobar 2000 is displaying a Track Gain of -4.71 and an Album Gain of -4.66.

Both can't be correct. Is there a way of using DBPoweramp to view tracks it has ripped and the ReplayGain values it has calculated/tagged so I know which values are correct?

Thank you

Porcus
03-12-2012, 04:17 PM
I have ripped my CDs to FLAC using DBPoweramp with the DSP RG Replay Gain appied which calculates the Album Gain and Track Gain.

I am trying out a couple of programs for managing my software J.River Media Centre and Foobar 2000. However both are giving me different readings for the Track Gain and Album Gain that DBPoweramp has calculated. For example for 10CC (The Very Best of), J.River is displaying a Replay (Track) Gain of -10.89 and and AlbumGain of -9.98, whereas Foobar 2000 is displaying a Track Gain of -4.71 and an Album Gain of -4.66.

Both can't be correct. Is there a way of using DBPoweramp to view tracks it has ripped and the ReplayGain values it has calculated/tagged so I know which values are correct?

Thank you

Now you are calculating using J.River and calculating using fb2k? You are not using the software to display dBp's tags, you are using either to come up with a suggestion on what the file should be tagged with, right? They probably have different reference volumes, which explains the -5 vs -10 difference, and they probably have different algorithms, which is necessary to explain the difference between album and track figures.

To view in dBpoweramp: If you are using a dBpoweramp version which shows tags (I'm paying, don't know if the free one can), it should come up just as any other tag. If not, you try to view it in fb2k. That's view, not scan. To view, you can e.g. choose the track, Alt+Enter, and then view the Properties tab. Alternatively, try Mp3Tag (free).

roycymru
03-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Now you are calculating using J.River and calculating using fb2k? You are not using the software to display dBp's tags, you are using either to come up with a suggestion on what the file should be tagged with, right? They probably have different reference volumes, which explains the -5 vs -10 difference, and they probably have different algorithms, which is necessary to explain the difference between album and track figures.

To view in dBpoweramp: If you are using a dBpoweramp version which shows tags (I'm paying, don't know if the free one can), it should come up just as any other tag. If not, you try to view it in fb2k. That's view, not scan. To view, you can e.g. choose the track, Alt+Enter, and then view the Properties tab. Alternatively, try Mp3Tag (free).

Thanks for the info. I am not getting J.River or Foobar to do any re-calculating all I have done is import the same albums from the same location and am getting totally different values.

I know different programs use different dB reference values to calculate their Track and Album Gains against (84? for J.River and 89? for Foobar), but in this instance I am using DBPoweramp to calculate these values (which as you say are just stored as tag values) and not using J.River or Foobar 2000 to re-calculate them during import. Therefore I would have expected they would just display the tag value calculated by DBPoweramp (I am working on the principle that if for example I renamed the Title "tag" of a track from "Help" to "Help Me" in program X, then whichever program I later used to look at the Title info it would display this as "Help Me", so if program X gave the Help Me track a Track Gain value of -8.0, whichever program I later used to look at its Track Gain info then it should display this as -8.0).

Following your advice it looks like J.River is displaying the wrong values, right clicking on a file, selecting Properties and then ID tag and scrolling down to see the Replay Gain Track and Album values show these correspond to the values Foobar 2000 displays, so I have no idea why J.River displays much lower values.

Porcus
03-13-2012, 03:02 AM
so I have no idea why J.River displays much lower values.

Maybe to compensate for the 5dB difference in baseline. But that does not explain why the track gain and album gain were so far off each other. You should ask at http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/ .