PDA

View Full Version : Convert wav to save space

Unregistered
07-22-2003, 07:55 AM
I am really new at this, but you don't learn if you don't ask. How do I make my wav files smaller? I used the dBpowerAmp music converter to turn my music into wav files, but the size is still to huge to send to my friends in emails.

Spoon
07-22-2003, 05:55 PM
They were mp3 files before?

Unregistered
07-22-2003, 05:56 PM
please, all I want to know is how to make a few 1000kb file into a file thats just a few 100kb

Unregistered
07-22-2003, 05:57 PM
They were mp3 files before?

yes they were mp3s that i've downloaded

Unregistered
07-24-2003, 11:47 AM
Nevermind. Somebody told me what attributes I needed. Thanks anyways.

Unregistered
07-27-2004, 12:29 AM
Everyone who I've seen who converted their MP3s to these small WAV files ended up with very low quality files that did not sound good. They sounded even worse to me after converting them back so they could be burned to audio files. No one on the file sharing networks would allow them to d/l MP3s from them after they heard their WAV files. I'd say buyer beware unless you care nothing about the quality of your music.

ChristinaS
07-27-2004, 12:49 AM
Nevermind. Somebody told me what attributes I needed. Thanks anyways.
An mp3 file is already compressed a lot compared to the original wav file.
Typical mp3 files are at 128 kbps, 44.1 Khz stere and they occupy about 1MB for each minute of audio, so on the average they may be about 3-4 MB, whereas the original wav file would have been 30-40MB.

You can further compress them by reducing the bit rate to 64kbps and that will halve the file size again. or down to 32kbps for another halving fo the size. Of course the quality goes down proportionately.

A better quality is achieved by encoding to the wma format. The mp3 file at 128kbps is pretty much equivalent to a wma file at 64kbps in audio quality. Except the wma file is half the size of the mp3 file. wma at 32kbps CBR is still usually good enough, depending on needs. Read this thread for a good way to use wma http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5230 .

You've got to remember that most email inboxes are limited to 2-4 MB sizes, plus they restrict the attachment size further. In cases like this sending an mp3 by email will pretty much be impossible. You may consider getting an email account from Yahoo where they have just expanded the space to 100MB.

G_G
09-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi,
As you can likely see, I'm new around here but would love for someone to possibly solve a slight problem which has presented itself since my last computer crash.

Possibly helpful info;
I'm running Windows 98 SE
My Computer is not nearly as fast as most new ones.
Reinstalled my (registered) DBPowerAmp from a file on second HD.
Had been in the habit of converting MP3 files to Wav files smaller than 780KB (as that is all Google Groups will allow). All was going just fine but, after the reinstall, I find no matter what settings I use (including those I used to use) ...
End result files are Always Over 2 MB ...
What am I doing wrong Please?

Settings I used before;
12,000Hz
18Kbs
kbps (can't recall 'correct' settings for the kbps section but it Feels Like I've tried everything !).

When converting the Goo Goo Dolls track 'Iris' :cool:
I get an end result of
" 3,6000 kb " :thumbdown
when what I'm looking to get is around " 750 kb "

I Must be doing Something Wrong ....? :confused:

Can Anyone Advise me Please?

Spoon
09-10-2006, 12:27 PM
See:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=2275

G_G
09-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the reply Spoon but the files I'm starting out with are measly 5-7 MB is size ... I used to be able to convert at the drop of a hat but can't seem to find the right settings.

Have looked all arounf these great 'suport' pages and can't find a clue as what to do ... hence my plea in this post.

Could you perhaps recommend settings that would covert say a 6MB MP3 file to a 750kb Wav file (as a rough approximation anyway)?

Would be most grateful :komisch9: if you could do that for me, then I'd know for sure where, if anywhere, I was going wrong.

G_G

Spoon
09-13-2006, 02:58 PM
You would have to select Wave compression (as the Lame mp3), choose a low bit rate.

ChristinaS
09-13-2006, 11:08 PM
The thing is with audio files just stating the file size is not sufficient. You have to state the bitrate, duration, channels.

You will get a proportionally smaller file size if you reduce the bitrate and/or the channels. No other way really.

G_G
09-14-2006, 06:03 AM
Hi
and thanks for all the great responses.

Lame MP3 and low bit rates applied and make Not one jot of difference that's why I feel DBPowerAmp has been corrupted in some way.
Like I said before (?),
I'd been in the habit of converting average MP3 files (of around 4.5/5 MB) to Wav file of around 740/760 kb and posting to group/s for simply ages before that last computer crash of ours.
Now, using the Same (stereo) Settings as before ...
getting 2.MB+ and not 750kb !

Looks like I'll have to think of using another software, as it looks like, since reinstalling DBPowerAmp (registered) after the crash, something about the new settings in our Windows ( 98 SE ) doesn't comply with DBPowerAmp settings?

Thanks for all the help

GG

Spoon
09-14-2006, 07:59 AM
If you are using a wave ACM codec then it would not matter which program you use as it is ACM codec at fault.

Saying that R12 of dbpoweramp can create a compressed mp3 by passing ACM, try it from the beta section of this forum.

ChristinaS
09-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Hi
and thanks for all the great responses.

Lame MP3 and low bit rates applied and make Not one jot of difference that's why I feel DBPowerAmp has been corrupted in some way.
Like I said before (?),
I'd been in the habit of converting average MP3 files (of around 4.5/5 MB) to Wav file of around 740/760 kb and posting to group/s for simply ages before that last computer crash of ours.
Now, using the Same (stereo) Settings as before ...
getting 2.MB+ and not 750kb !

Looks like I'll have to think of using another software, as it looks like, since reinstalling DBPowerAmp (registered) after the crash, something about the new settings in our Windows ( 98 SE ) doesn't comply with DBPowerAmp settings?

Thanks for all the help

GG

Windows 98 requires an extra bit of software to be installed: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/Windows95-Update.htm

G_G
09-16-2006, 03:07 AM
Hi Christina,
Tried that and was told " your computer already has ..." :thumbup:
Thanks for thinking of that though, it's much appreciated.:smile2:

GG

ChristinaS
09-16-2006, 04:04 AM
Ok, start from the start.

What are the bitrate and channels of your mp3 file? The duration?

When converting to wav - are you selecting Compressed and clkcing Change Format? and then what did you select?

Many formats are proposed in the drop down list. Pick MPEG layer III wav and go with that. Lots of compression levels are available too.

If you don't have MPEG Layer III wav - see the link in my signaure.

G_G
09-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Hi,
A rough note of some of the settings and the resulting file sizes;
Track used for conversion;
Biggest Mistake ~ Rolling Stones
Size 3851kb
Length 4 min 06 sec
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12,000HZ
18kbs abr
144kb/s

Resulting File = 3,600kbs
(all in MP3 setting / Stereo/ compressed selected)

Tried different setting just to see if I was doing something wrong as above were settings recommended by Yahoo group manager and used successfully for months before computer crash.
new settings = ;
16,000 Hz
130kbpsABR (Stereo)
16 kb/s
Resulting File =3,206 kb

Then
12,000Hz
18Kbs
MONO
resulting File !!! = 3,164 !!!!
Running Windows 98 SE
(could this be 'problem' re reinstalling DBPowerAmp, which is possible Up-Grade on my old version, and which may not be quite as 'suitable' / compatible with for Win_98 ?)
just wondering ?

If so is there away I could D/L Older version of DBPowerAmp ... one that Might Suit my Windows Better as we're Not ever going over to XP again ... (been there, done that, not doing that again ... LOL)
(also running oldish computer with 'elderly sound card/video card)

GG

ChristinaS
09-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Your mp3 file that is:
Size 3851kb
Length 4 min 06 sec

This must be an mp3 @ 96kbps give or take.

If you want to convert it to a smaller size you need to pick a lower bitrate. Leave frequency alone, it will nto affect the file size.

The file size is proportional to the bitrate.

If what you want to have in the end is 750K - then you need to compress the file to 1/5 - so 1/5 of the bitrate. 20kbps ... not available for mp3, 32 is lowest. You can get 20kbps if you use a wma format - and the bonus is better audio quality.

Going down to mono from stereo will halve the file size.

Instead of converting to mp3 you can try to convert to compressed wav. There you will have a lot of diffferent options, pick MPEG Layer III Wav, and then pick various compression settings from the available list.

You say you didn't need to use the compatibility update - I would install it just the same, because it may not have "taken".

You are not forgetting to reboot after installing things?

G_G
09-22-2006, 04:21 AM
Your mp3 file that is:
Size 3851kb
Length 4 min 06 sec

This must be an mp3 @ 96kbps give or take.

KBPS is 128

If you want to convert it to a smaller size you need to pick a lower bitrate. Leave frequency alone, it will nto affect the file size.

The file size is proportional to the bitrate.
Right, I got that ... now
:blush:
If what you want to have in the end is 750K - then you need to compress the file to 1/5 - so 1/5 of the bitrate. 20kbps ... not available for mp3, 32 is lowest. ...
Could that be where I'm going wrong?
I Need to have a Wav file as don't think my email groups acept WMA

Going down to mono from stereo will halve the file size.

Instead of converting to mp3 you can try to convert to compressed wav. There you will have a lot of diffferent options, pick MPEG Layer III Wav, and then pick various compression settings from the available list.
That's exactly what I have been doing ... to the letter ... not trying to convert to MP3 ... trying to convert From MP3 ... to ... wav

You say you didn't need to use the compatibility update - I would install it just the same, because it may not have "taken".

You are not forgetting to reboot after installing things?
No, OH is a 'computer professional' (LOL) and has me well trained in such things
LOL

May well try reinstalling yet again but what I was hoping for here was some advice re settings and it looks like I got some 'cause I always thought it was the combined settings that make a difference, so have Learned something significant ...
Thanks to all for all the good advice

GG

G_G
09-22-2006, 05:02 AM
Just did a convert at the lowest possible setting (well almost)

MPEG Layer-3,16 kBit/s, 8.000 Hz, Mono
which is Probably not even listen-able to (?)
and got a file of 1.69MB !
So my Conversion software must be faulty,yes?

Off to reinstall and stop the pain
LOL

GG

ChristinaS
09-22-2006, 07:38 AM
Just did a convert at the lowest possible setting (well almost)

MPEG Layer-3,16 kBit/s, 8.000 Hz, Mono
which is Probably not even listen-able to (?)
and got a file of 1.69MB !
So my Conversion software must be faulty,yes?

Off to reinstall and stop the pain
LOL

GG

Try 8.000KHz, 8 bit mono - 7kb/s .

stibi
06-24-2007, 09:35 AM
The thing is with audio files just stating the file size is not sufficient. You have to state the bitrate, duration, channels.

You will get a proportionally smaller file size if you reduce the bitrate and/or the channels. No other way really.

Hi ChristinaS,

Recently, all of a sudden, everytime after converting with dBpoweramp an Mp3 file (or any other format, including a "regular" wav file (i.e.Windows PCM)) when I am trying to listen to the so converted file it plays so extremely fast that I hear only some strange tunes. I reinstalled dBpoweramp, however it didn't help. Meanwhile, unless you have some idea how to solve that problem, I wanted to use your advise and to convert with dBpoweramp an MP3 into Wav-MP3 file. Now, You said one has to state the bitrate, duration, channels. I have changed the bitrate, clicked on the "Advanced" tab and choosed the lowest duration (8khz). However, I don't know which of the 5 channel possibilities (shown there) to choose.
I shall be gratefull for your advise as to which of the the 5 channels to choose, as well as how to solve my above mentioned problem with converting to compressed wav (since converting into the compressed wav seemsto me for most cases preferable).
Thanks in advance
stibi