PDA

View Full Version : wav2mp3 converting options

Unregistered
07-06-2003, 07:51 AM
I found out that choosing a preset from the advanced options changes bitrate and frequency of the file created but not bitrate and frequency shown in the conversion settings window. So I have to wait and look into file that was created to find out, what settings DMC used. I didn't find any information about that in the help or in the forum, can anybody please tell me:
1) what preset means what parameters?
2) do the preset settings only change settings I can do manually as well (bitrate, frequency) or do they as well affect parameters not shown within the conversion settings window?

Could anybody give some information what settings do have what affect on the sound quality and size of the created mp3 file? Is size and/or quality reduced more by lower frequency or lower bitrate and which of all that settings give higher quality without creating bigger files but only taking more conversion time?

What does the variable bitrate quality setting affect (slider low - high quality in the advanced settings)?

Thanks a lot - DMC is a great tool!

Spoon
07-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Most of the presets are variable bitrate, if you search around on www.hydrogenaudio.org I am sure you will find answers to your questions.

The quality is just that it affects the quality of the final.

Unregistered
07-09-2003, 07:24 AM
Thank you!

Most of the presets are variable bitrate, if you search around on www.hydrogenaudio.org I am sure you will find answers to your questions.

The quality is just that it affects the quality of the final.

I'm going to have a look wether they give detailed information about the DMC options menu and what mp3 parameters they affect in which way.

Unregistered
07-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Hi,
unfortunately I didn't find any real answers at all...

Isn't there something like a manual where the meaning/affects of all that advanced settings are explained?
What settings only affect converting time, what settings affect dest file size and what affect quality?
What does the advanced settings VBR slider affect?
Do the presets affect BR and if so, how?

And what BR and frequency is recommended? CBR or VBR?

I did a lot of tests and the results are quite confusing... I can't predict file size and quality.

THANKS A LOT!!

Spoon
07-22-2003, 06:41 PM
Presets pretty much take over all the options, including VBR quality.

The best presets are the 'alt' presets and as their names suggest the final quality.

Unregistered
07-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Hi & thanks,
I read a lot about "alt" but my version 4,0,0,47 doesn't offer that?
I have normal, low, high, voice, very high, phone, SW, AM, FM, Voice, Radio, Tape, HiFi, CD & Studio quality and something named R3Mix (Voice Quality really is mentioned twice).

Thanks again!

Spoon
07-25-2003, 07:25 PM
Install Release 10 from 'Beta' section on this forum.

Unregistered
07-26-2003, 04:43 AM
Thanks again... !