PDA

View Full Version : another topic about to be closed on me

Razgo
06-25-2003, 11:01 PM
in another forum community that is :happy:

it does frustrate me to no end on how many topics i participate in get closed on me. it is usually when discussing the political nature of certain topics.

a topic that will get closed soon is about a thread someone started on called "Would you kill if you are in this position?". it is mainly about if you were a soldier in war times and confronted with this issue of killing in the face of the enemy.

it's not so much the topic but rather the "political correctness" commonly known as "PC" which people seem to get caught up in.

It was not that long ago that i had no idea what this "PC" people were talking about was all about. i actually thought it was to do with computers. my friend laughed when i told him :D , so he explained what it was all about, and i did some more research on it.

it's probably because i left the work force some 7 or 8 years ago that it hasn't influenced me.

so back to my point.......

it seems that in most forums you are not aloud to express your own view point/opinion/truth the way you see it. especially if it goes against any "PC" values.

i never attack anyone personally but do question the charactor of some peoples motivation that lies behind their belief. i think there is a difference. as you have to some degree question the person themselves or at least create a "clone" charactor with a similar make up of the said person, so as to not get to peronal.

but what i have found this is often misconstrued to no end and made to look like you are attacking people or what i am saying has no bearing on the real issue and therefore am only stirring up too much conflict that may lead to saying stupid things.

well hello!! shit happens! we live we learn we move on. but one thing i do not like doing is pretending to believe in taking a passive stance when "PC" is involved or not.

now i know different forums have different rules, as does Spoons forums here.

what i mean is, because dbpoweramp is world known it would not be too good for slanging matches to start over which audio player/ripper is better and why. internet software products do need to be mindfull of this and keep out of such debates.

however this is not to say you can't ask for a feature that you saw in another player. that is totally different.

but when your on a forum that i pay US$30.00 to be a member of that allows for such off topic discussion but then have restrictions on what you can say? kind of defeats the purpose of the forum itself.

i'm not talking about personal attacks or swearing issues either. just straight up discussional viewpoints that tend to get censored because it's not "PC"? aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/end rant :teufel12:

Spoon
06-26-2003, 04:13 AM
I know in the name of PC they are trying to ban the Wonderbra ads (Hello Boys...), bloody lesbians!

Razgo
07-18-2003, 06:07 AM
lol, ah yes the wonder bra :happy: a great invention too :thumbup:

Razgo
07-18-2003, 06:11 AM
going off topic here but if you ever want to use all those links in my sig into your sig as well, just say the word, as you get around here more than I do and i thought the links in the sig may help people when they see it. i dunno.

Spoon
07-18-2003, 05:34 PM
Not really, if you wanted to you could grab the 'Quick Links' off the top of dbpoweramp.com and put it at the top of the forum also.

I am thinking of A) Renaming my email addresses (too many spams) and B) removing Support emails and handle all support here on the forum.

One thing I would like for you to check, is once someone registers on the forum that they don't have to reply to an email to gain posting access. Also if you can remove the option where you type the letters from the bitmap when registering, I get the odd email from blind people, I don't think this forum will be hit by autoregisters.

Razgo
07-18-2003, 08:43 PM
ok so far I have disabled the imaging for registration and no email is required to have an active account.

I just have to do the links.

yep, spam is always a big problem. I think it's better to have forum support only too. i mean let's face it, you come to the forum any way, and it gives opportunity for others to help out also.

if you decide forum only support we can make one of those announcements that appears in all forums like i did with the powerapack announcement.

Razgo
07-18-2003, 09:26 PM
ok, new links added added at top.