PDA

View Full Version : CD Ripper - Display/Toggle Ripping Mode Directly on Main Screen?

Memphis Foundry
06-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Hello --

I was wondering if there might be a way to surface a control on the main CD Ripper interface to give the user the ability to see which ripping mode is active and quickly switch between Burst and Secure modes (and possibly Defective by Design as well). Quick background:

I've used dBpoweramp to rip several thousand CDs so I've optimized my ripping process pretty tightly. Because 99.9% of CDs I rip are in AccurateRip, I always default to Burst mode, then if I have any issues, I go back and clean up any problem tracks by choosing "Re-rip Inaccurate & Insecure" from the right-click menu.

I recently bought a new ripping PC that has an optical drive that (as it turns out) will often rip track one inaccurately in Burst Mode. So I find myself ripping, switching modes in Options, and then re-ripping the first track only.

So I was wondering if there might be some general interest in having a way to view the current ripping mode and quickly switch between them via a direct control (radio button or otherwise) on the main CD Ripper interface.

Or, alternatively, it would be handy if there were an additional right-click menu option to "Re-rip Inaccurate & Insecure Using Secure Mode".

The ability to temporarily invoke Secure Mode for a single rip would be handy because I'll often forget to go back into Options and switch back to Burst Mode. Then I'll wind up ripping the next 2-3 CDs in Secure Mode -- not a big issue, just a little slower than Burst Mode.

I don't know from a programming perspective which would be more optimal, though I expect that introducing a new control surface on the main screen would be more troublesome. But depending on others' ripping processes, it might also be more generally useful. A Rip Mode switch on the main screen would solve this issue for me since it would display the current Rip Mode at a glance, so I would make it a point to check it each time before kicking off a rip.

As far as Defective By Design mode goes, maybe one CD in a thousand that I've ripped is stubborn enough to require it. That's such a rare use case that I wouldn't recommend optimizing its selection, unless there's virtually no additional work required above enabling a quick-switch between Burst and Secure Mode, and no interface space constraints for the control.

In any event, thanks for an outstanding product. :thumbup:

Spoon
06-13-2011, 04:45 AM
Using secure mode all the time would effectively burst if the disc is in AccurateRip, and only going to multiple passes on errors.