PDA

View Full Version : WHS 2011 Supported?

izoard
06-01-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm interested in using Asset UPnP to stream my FLAC encoded Music collection that is stored on a WHS 2011.
I have a Denon 3310 CI that WILL play FLAC natively and I would not want any trans-coding to that device. I also have an XBOX360 that doesn't support FLAC, but I would want those streams transcoded on the fly.

Will this work for me?

Is it supported for WHS 2011?

Thanks

Spoon
06-01-2011, 04:30 PM
WHS 2011 is not currently supported.

izoard
06-04-2011, 12:03 AM
WHS 2011 is not currently supported.

Will it ever be supported? Any time frame?

Thanks

Spoon
06-04-2011, 10:29 AM
We are not currently committing to support, or a timescale.

unas666
07-01-2011, 06:44 AM
WHS 2011 can run Asset for Win7, even as a service, without login. Only the Dashboard integration would be needed. Every possible feature works just fine.

Steinbock
08-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Hi unas666,

I am currently not a user of WHS (still running a QNAP with Twonky). Only know (and love) Asset UPnP from running it under Win XP.

Could you explain to me, what your post means to me? What am I missing without dashboard integration?

Can I install Asset UPnP 3.0 (or the 3.1 currently in development) without problems? Can I see the user interface (as I know it under Windows XP) to see stats or rescan the database etc.? Which other dislikes are there without the dashboard?

Thanks in advance for your brief explanation.

Andreas

Spoon
08-02-2011, 03:34 AM
For WHS 2011, install the XP version (through remote desktop, change Asset to run as a service) and configure from the remote desktop.

Steinbock
08-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Hi Spoon,

thank you for your Quick replies.
Looking forward for Acer to launch their new RevoCenter with WHS 2011 in Europe in the hopefully not to far future.

Andreas

dwo
08-27-2011, 10:13 AM
For WHS 2011, install the XP version (through remote desktop, change Asset to run as a service) and configure from the remote desktop.

Spoon, Many thanks for the answers. Noting that it was sometime since this question was last raised is there a better way to stream FLAC from WHS2011 to my Denon ASD51W using your products. I already use them to rip my CDs so happy to buy/use something else if it works.

Many thanks in advance

DWO

Spoon
08-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Still the same.

dwo
08-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Many thanks for the very quick response. I have read in one of your other forums that Win 7 version can be used - I'll try that one first as it may be more compatible with WHS2011. If you can point me to a noddy guide as to how to change asset to run as a service that would be much appreciated. In the mean time I'll download the trial version of Asset and trawl for a guide. I'll let you know how I get on with the install and if I come up with any issues etc in using Asset on WHS2011. If it works then I'm more than happy to pay for the full version.

Regards

DWO

dwo
08-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Asset UPnP loaded to WHS via RDC and set to service within advanced settings tab of Asset. Also changed library directory to point to directory containing FLAC files. FLAC files now streaming from WHS2011 to Denon ASD51(W). Will carry on testing but early indications are that solution works.

Regards

DWO

timan
09-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Hi,

Is there any any update to this? Does the Win7 version running as service work, or is the XP version preferred?

I have moved to WHS2011 from WHS (hardware died) : streaming Flac from WHS using Asset was great ...

Thanks

Spoon
09-19-2011, 04:46 AM
The only difference between XP and Win 7 versions are that the XP versions install the WMA codecs which are not required on Win7 as they are already present, not sure about WHS 2011.

P Bender
12-24-2011, 09:03 AM
A friend of my bought a NAIM .flac player (ND5 XS) in combination with a Windows Home Server 2011 (WHS 2011). After a day struggling we got everything working except for the .flac playing through the NAIM. We could see the UPnP in the list of devices and the iPod and mp3 files but NOT the .flac. After 10 hours working and installing we called it a day.

Today we did quite a bit of Googling and got it working.

In understanding UPnP and it related problems this "superuser"site article (http://superuser.com/questions/100599/any-nas-servers-that-stream-flac-audio) helped a lot. Also did a provide it a direction for where to find the solution

Here is how we did it:
- downloaded the dbpoweramp WHS UPnP installation, tried to install it and it did not work. (Error message: This is not a WHS server :( )
- downloaded the dbpoweramp W7 installation and installed it on the WHS 2011. This installation does NOT show up as an "installed add-in", whoever is does work.

At the NAIM you will get (eventually) the Assest UPnP in the list of availble sources. Through here you can play the .flac files from the ND5 XS.

Some people told us to disable / uninstall the WHS UPnP. As far as I can see now this is NOT needed. I'm a bit carefull for uninstalling / disabling the WHS UPnP service because I assume that WHS relies on the service to be running.

Next step will be installing the RipNAS. However given the fact that the UPnP did not work with the WHAS 2011 version I'm a bit sceptical on that. Second step will be connecting an USB CD/DVD reader through an USB->UTP->USB cable.

If any one has any advice on this two steps ..............

Paul Bender

PS has anybody any tips on how to access, operate and configure the ND5 XS through a webbrowser? You can remotely control it with an "app" but the webpage does ONLY give the IP configuration (an a wee bit more) but NO configuration options. This has to be done through the frontdisplay of the ND5 XS which sounds a bit stupid if you got a webserver running on the machine

Spoon
12-24-2011, 10:18 AM
In the beta section of this forum you can find a WHS 2011 version of Asset.