PDA

View Full Version : ATRAC3 & ATRAC3Plus Support

Pages : [1] 2

Joseph
06-17-2003, 09:37 PM
My sister just got a Sony CD MP3 Player for her birthday. It seems that sony has dropped the WMA Support and added their own ATRAC3 and ATRAC3Plus in it's place. The problem is that their software is very slow and cumbersome to use. Could you Add ATRAC3 Support to your program?

ToolNut
06-27-2003, 03:35 PM
What seems to be the deal with Sony and their excusiveness with their technolog....anyways why would you want to have a cd at such low qualaty as ATRAC3? thats like 64kb/s! 128-192kb/s is about the best if you want to bother compressing the files much. But the highest ATRAC3 qualaty is around 132?kb/s so thats still low but i guess its "supposedly" a better comp. algorythm than the mp3 one. So i guess it would be a good idea to somhow include support fot ATRAC3 in dbpowerAMP......but i bet it would be a CLI encoder only........

Unregistered
06-28-2003, 12:12 AM
.... So i guess it would be a good idea to somhow include support fot ATRAC3 in dbpowerAMP......but i bet it would be a CLI encoder only........

There's an inherent problem with that, which is what Sony encoded the ATRAC music as. Although yes, their compression provides a better byte/second ratio than standard MP3 ecoding, but they also built in a layer of encrpytion that requires signing a whole bunch of (apparently) expensive paperrwork and litigations to be able to use. It's definitely not the standard run of the mill, either. Based on MagicGate (hence Sony's decision to add MG to all of their players bundled with NetMD units), the MG protocol is apparently what they use to also encode memory stick data amongst other things, so Sony will not release the ability to unlock it readily.

Albeit very cool, I wonder if it would be worth the while. There used to be an open source project called Open/NMD (Open NetMiniDisc) that would allow the same functionality as Sony's player to play the ATRAC3 format. But they seemed to have dissapeared shortly after getting someplace. I'm sure their work is now 'out there' someplace, but who is to say if it is legal in these 'mod and get sued by corporation x' days.

Just my thoughts and knowledge on the subject.

.:: epoch of entropy

Unregistered
07-12-2003, 04:22 AM
im not sure if this is on the task, but you know how wave files have an ending in .wav and meny other ones have diffrent types (eg .mpg). whats the endinf for ATRAC3Plus thingy.

Joseph
07-12-2003, 04:51 PM
im not sure if this is on the task, but you know how wave files have an ending in .wav and meny other ones have diffrent types (eg .mpg). whats the endinf for ATRAC3Plus thingy.

I really can't remember cause it's a little difficult to find, but I belive they are ATP or AT2 AT3 somthing like that.

Unregistered
07-18-2003, 05:34 AM
thank for helping. But it looks like i cant find any file on the internet with .ATP, .AT2 or .AT3. I'v have tryed useing p2p (Kazaa) and a URL/FTP searchers as well as dogpile & altavista. if someone know a good place to get ATRAC3 music or a website for software to download a MP3-->ATRAC3 tell me, as i have been looking for one for weeks. thanks

Joseph
07-19-2003, 02:27 AM
I'm pretty sure the Atrac format has some kind of DRM protection which prevents it from being played on any computer except the original. :cry:

Unregistered
07-22-2003, 04:59 PM
thank for helping. But it looks like i cant find any file on the internet with .ATP, .AT2 or .AT3. I'v have tryed useing p2p (Kazaa) and a URL/FTP searchers as well as dogpile & altavista. if someone know a good place to get ATRAC3 music or a website for software to download a MP3-->ATRAC3 tell me, as i have been looking for one for weeks. thanks

.omg and it could have DRM protection.

Unregistered
07-26-2003, 03:06 PM
i searched download.com for atrac3 and found a atrac3 converter (from mp3 etc -> atrac3 and from atrac -> mp3 etc..)

i'm on the search for a atrac3 player/cracker/anything ... nobody knows anything?

Unregistered
07-29-2003, 02:13 AM
i searched download.com for atrac3 and found a atrac3 converter (from mp3 etc -> atrac3 and from atrac -> mp3 etc..)

i'm on the search for a atrac3 player/cracker/anything ... nobody knows anything?

I have got onto Sony and they tell me you can only get the software as a spare part. It's expensive as well. I too would like to get may hands on the Atrac3plus software but no luck so far.

Unregistered
08-07-2003, 11:34 AM
I have got onto Sony and they tell me you can only get the software as a spare part. It's expensive as well. I too would like to get may hands on the Atrac3plus software but no luck so far.

I tried download.com as well, and found one CD rip/burn utility that claimed conversion support. However, upon install it displayed a "this feature not currently supported" dialog.

I'll keep searching.

Unregistered
08-10-2003, 05:39 PM
I too own a cd player with this format
The format is a pain. It takes forever to encode and can only be played on my discman. I cant even play the cds i make back on the computer. The only reason i use this format is because i am running out of room to store cds and i can hold on average 24hours of music one one atrac3 plus cd.
I am looking for software to let me play atrac cds on my computer, but i doubt i will ever find one.

Sky^ [Unreg.]
08-24-2003, 01:50 PM
I too own a cd player with this format
The format is a pain. It takes forever to encode and can only be played on my discman. I cant even play the cds i make back on the computer. The only reason i use this format is because i am running out of room to store cds and i can hold on average 24hours of music one one atrac3 plus cd.
I am looking for software to let me play atrac cds on my computer, but i doubt i will ever find one.

The same to me... I don't think that Sony will release the format specifications to privates or open source projects... but why not try?

Unregistered
08-24-2003, 02:41 PM
Where I can find the software of the atrac3 or atrac3plus for extraction and audio recording

Joseph
08-24-2003, 08:41 PM
Where I can find the software of the atrac3 or atrac3plus for extraction and audio recording

I don't think we will be seeing Atrac3 support in DBpowerAmp anytime soon. (unless it all the sudden becomes open source or somthing like that, or sony makes development tools for software creators)

-Joseph

troylawson
08-31-2003, 04:42 PM
Several of you say that atrac3plus takes a long time and is combersome to use. I recorded the bulk of my collection on one CD-R which was about 35- 40 disks. I have also used mp3 conversion programs in the past and those took 75-100% longer than the sonic stage simple burner. I cued all the tracks and burned them in about two evenings.
As far as being cumbersome, I will agree with you there. The exclusivity of this technology will be limiting as we have seen in the past. I know that if Sony makes available this technology for use in software packages on pcs and macs, this technology has a chance of being more popular than mp3. If not, it should die a quick and relatively painless death.
I like Atrac3plus for several reasons. I will run out of batteries before it completes one playing of the disk. I have the option of making better quality recordings, the software is easy to use, and I can still rip and burn mp3 files if I so desire.
Sony delivered with a product that works exactly as they said it would! How many products can you say that about? I only have one problem with their Atrac3plus technology, in that it is in fact exclusive to certain Sony products. That in itself limits their fair evaluation of their market to only those who purchase their products. They may find, inaccurately, that demand or interest in the technology they created is seriously lacking and may in fact discontinue any support whatsoever in the future, unfortunately.
I too will keep searching for the right download and if I come up with anything I will post.
I also just found out that you can take the WalkMan "Output" (phones) and patch them into the "Line-In" jack of your sound card. It sounds awesome to me! Now I need better speakers and an A/C adapter. So many things to get, so little time! LOL! Please post what you think. I like hearing different viewpoints because mine is certainly not right!
troylawson

Joseph
08-31-2003, 07:09 PM
The only beef I have with Sonic Stage Simple Burner is that one time, I was ripping a large amount of CD's to Atrac3Plus for my sister, and in the middle of burning the software said error, and all the information was lost and the cd was unusable. I wish it could've ripped the cd's to the hard disk and then burned them, but it rips them to a temp directory and if something goes wrong all that hard work that you did ends up getting thrown away.

That's why we want Atrac3 and Atrac3Plus supported in DBpowerAmp. So we can have entire music collections of Atrac encoded files on our hard drive at our disposal, to do whatever we want with them, and play them in DBpowerAmp and even convert them to another format if we wanted to.

Unregistered
09-10-2003, 12:31 AM
Most sentiments expressed here are appreciated and respected by me, as a temporary ATRAC CD Walkman user.

Definately, SS Simple Burner should be binned and the appropriate support added to SonicStage proper (the full version) as this at least allows track preview post encoding - yep, any ATRAC user will agree with the sentiment that some tracks will not effectively encode well at the highest comp rate, so you kinda have to mix and match your tracks compression rates for the best results. This is always the case, as anyone doing lots of compression in any format understands.

I'm sad to say that SS Simple Burner is the only reason the D-NE1 is gonna be returned to the retailer, as i have no intention of transcoding my files twice either to MP3 or to Audio CD just to get them on a bloody ATRAC CD-ROM.

SS Simple Burner is also hated here, due to not being able to keep a localised backup of encoded files that can be easily re-organised into a new compilation without the the usual image-build from sources stupidity.

I've only ever burnt ATRAC to CD-RW, so i can't comment too much on the probs that are mentioned about trashed discs since i tend to use the re-usable aspect of CD when it comes to CDP's.

I'd definately support the call for ATRAC support in dBPowerAmp, but definately wouldnt see the need for getting caught up in Sony Corp's legal hell as a necessary evil to achieve the goal - better to not bother than endure Sony as a legal adversary.

Well, that's my moan and observations - and i still stand by my comments elsewhere that dBPowerAmp MC stands proud as a item of software for everyone, a few non-supported codecs dont change matters one bit :o)

'Tom Kat' - The Audio-world Cat Spirit much hated by audiophiles and Ogg users :oP

Unregistered
09-22-2003, 12:53 PM
This is my first post to this forum. Just had to say something after I received the wonderful D-NE1 yesterday as a present.

Maybe I haven't lived with the product long enough yet to see its warts but.........

I was exceptionally skeptical (before I listened) as to how a track compressed to 64Kbits would sound. After burning up a CD-RW with some tracks I was amazed! When you consider the level of compression the quality is amazing...... and I'm used to listening to my music on a high end system.

[QUOTE=Unregistered]
"I'm sad to say that SS Simple Burner is the only reason the D-NE1 is gonna be returned to the retailer, as i have no intention of transcoding my files twice either to MP3 or to Audio CD just to get them on a bloody ATRAC CD-ROM."

But WHY do you need to? That's the whole point of the D-NE1. It already plays MP3 discs and CD's. I certainly wouldn't bother re-encoding into ATRAC3plus until I can play them directly from my PC...... Which really brings me to the point of this post. From a quick look around the 'net I get the feeling that Sony are keeping the ATRAC3plus codecs to themselves. Right? Surely someone out there has (or will be soon) written a player application. That's what I'm looking for.

Rob.

Unregistered
09-25-2003, 11:39 PM
i have good news and bad news. as being one of the first to start this conversation i felt responsible for finding a solution.

I'll start with the good news i have found one is all what we've been looking for. i added some file to suport reading/writing of ATRAC3 format wich i called ".AC3"

but sit down i ran into a few problems. I'll start from the top and if anyone can help, tell me, as this might be it. i use a program to serch for ATRAC3 formats and found tones of bull and 3 real sites.

problem 1) the way i serched was for evry site that had a ftp port related too music i serched its storige (not me a lame prgram). but each site changed the ftp site locations and you cant realy ask them where too as this was a aligal way of doing things. this was the first problem and easyest.

Problem 2) i downloaded a few files that are needed for the program and then. well you know that stuff about music sharing and how big companys are prepering too sue. the people uploading and downlaoding music files. the programs alowing this and the actulal fact that you have something (music file) on your PC your computer will be serched and if you have there tag your in shit. thay took this a step further thay put out fake software for converting (its not fake but it dosent remove the tag, insted for thr people who have finaly craked it making them think thay have). and know there ARE!!! ATRAC3 music files under the name ****.AC3-2 BUT!!!!!!! dont get it. its got a tracer on them thats better the the mp3 one.

anyway to the concustion. i havent taken much notes about that tag mp3 shit, but know i have. i cant be bothered finding it and so if someone knows were to get it post it so i can try to make a REAL ATRAC3 tag remover from a mp3 one. last advice whatever you do dont try to mess it AC3-2 i almost ended up being in jail on the same night i found this out.

Spoon
09-26-2003, 01:06 PM
AC3 I would think, is the Dolby AAC v3. Nothing to do with Sony.

Unregistered
10-01-2003, 02:04 AM
AC3 I would think, is the Dolby AAC v3. Nothing to do with Sony.

lol na its not that i know what that is; i'm not a idiot im programmer. just trust me on this one what your talking about is a format of a file or a encoder for an audio file and usualy their seen as "blabla.ATC" the code is AC3 writiing.

what im talking about it AC3-2 "blabal.AC32" the 2 for V2

Unregistered
10-02-2003, 11:42 AM
This is my first post to this forum. Just had to say something after I received the wonderful D-NE1 yesterday as a present.

Maybe I haven't lived with the product long enough yet to see its warts but.........

I was exceptionally skeptical (before I listened) as to how a track compressed to 64Kbits would sound. After burning up a CD-RW with some tracks I was amazed! When you consider the level of compression the quality is amazing...... and I'm used to listening to my music on a high end system.
Rob.

...........and now for a followup. I was obviously a bit hasty with my post above. Now I've lived with the player for a few weeks I've got to say that the ATRAC3plus encoding is very disappointing! 80% of tracks will sounds good. 20% are just unlistenable. On these tracks it seems to totally screw up something in the rhythm section and produces a noise sounding something like two coconut shell halves being clapped together! This sound certainly isn't in the original recording! Sorry Sony, ATRAC3plus is NOT the way to go if you want good quality reproduction. (BTW this is at 64Kbit/sec)
My advice it to stick to MP3 at between 128 and 196Kbit/sec and just live with having less tunes per CD.

I also now have to agree with the comments on Sonic stage simple burner. TOTAL RUBBISH! If you have to rip MP3's to fill an ATRAC3plus disk make sure you've got the WHOLE afternoon to do it. It's SLOW!

On a postive note the D-NE1 itself is still a brilliant disc player!

Rob.

Unregistered
10-05-2003, 02:32 PM
I recently buy a Sony walkman with the SonicStage software and as said, when I rip CDs to make an ATRAC3plus CD, I get an error message which tells me to close the application. Of course, all the rips, localised in the temp directory is lost and have to do it all over again (not too good when you are ripping the 11th CD !).
I try to keep the temp file apart but it's not working.
Anyone has a solution to stop the bug from shutting down the application while in the middle of CD Rip ? Or at least "resume" the rip using the temp files ?

Thanx a lot

Joseph
10-05-2003, 05:16 PM
I had the same problem as you, so first I tried to update the program, and that didn't work. So I just use mp3 now. Since I never did find a solution... :(

Unregistered
10-09-2003, 01:06 AM
Hi im a new guy to this thing, but i have this sony discman that supports that atrac3plus mp3 stuff. and i was at my cousins computer when i installed the software, and burned all the songs.i think 81. but when i get here, i install the software, and when i burn the songs, no matter wut i do, or speed, ALL the songs skip... it sucks, because ive wasted like 6 cds doing one song to test which speed to burn on. does anyone have any ideas?? im considering to sell this and get a normal mp3/cd player , so i can play it on my stereo and discman. BUT I REALLY NEED HELP!!

Unregistered
10-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Stupid. I can't believe that Sony's making me return this player. This is just about the dumbest thing that I've ever heard of. Great product, absolutely horrific delivery.

Someone should be shot.

-Ajay

Unregistered
10-13-2003, 08:17 PM
ooooohhhh RAGE ANGER VIOLENCE!!!!!! This program is stealing my free time and I want Sony to pay me back for it! (they can afford it surely!!!) I've just spent all evening doing half a disc (from half eight to half eleven) and got half the songs prepared and the thing bombed AGAIN!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRR..... I want my life back now, sony are a bunch of rich cretins who don't give a flying ATRAC burning program for their customers. Customer Support?!?!!?!? Where!?

An enraged recent Sony customer.

Spoon
10-14-2003, 06:24 PM
They only do it because Sony Music Label side tells them to, BTW different departments of Sony have sued themselves in the past! talk about conflict of interest...

Unregistered
10-16-2003, 08:25 PM
I got this cd from one of my friends because he had a cool collection of the 50 Cents and the Rap. But i have searched the hell at downloads.com, imesh kazaa and all the other search engines to find a software that actually plays the cd for me. I think the sony guys are really nuts. By not releasing any software for the pcs to play artec3plus files they are shooting on their own foot!!!

A really frustrated person!!!!

Unregistered
10-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Atrac3...what a load of rubbish, Sony...love there products...most of em... apart from when it gets down to their mp3 players.

Iv got an nw ms7 with xp. i then had a promblem with my cmp and had 2 ditch the upgrade of ver 2.0. Now i want it back but it won't install and ver 1.1/1.2 won't work on xp...!!!

I can't even find any solutions for this to checkin/out music! Any solutions?

Btw great website about the way sony really are!!

Unregistered
11-09-2003, 09:53 PM

How did you find the atrac converter? Can you please tell me???

C.L.

Unregistered
11-13-2003, 11:40 PM
I have been enjoying the posts on this subject...

About a year ago I bought an MP3 portable CD player, (RCA) about $60.00 and it lasted about 3 months...

I was going to pitch it in the trash can, when I realized I had bought Best Buy's 2 yr replacement warrenty...

So, I thought I would upgrade and get a Sony Minidisc, MZ-N510 as I was hoping to be able to do a little recording from my little Tascan 4 channel mixer...

Now, you read thru the advertising stuff on the Sony package and you get the impression that the minidisc will play MP3's...then I found out that I had to convert my MP3's to the ATRAC3 format which then takes up additional HD space...don't like that...:(

THEN I found out that with SonicStage I could only "move" my ATRAC3 cuts back and forth between my computer and my Sony 3 times...!!!...this is absoutly ridiculous....!!!

Those items, and the fact that SonicStage is pretty buggy, requiring multiple restarts, multiple re-connections of the Sony to the USB cable, and a SonicStage is NOT the easiest piece of software to figgure out...

I was pretty p****d at the whole deal...

BUT...I love the sound quality...the "el cheapo" head sets that came with the Sony are very well suited to the output of the little Sony player...It sounds significantly better than my JVC headsets that I paid about $80 for a couple of years ago plugged into the soundcard on my computer, Soundblaster Live....

AND, the unit itself is small enough that I can put it in my shirtpocket and continue working or whatever I'm doing...and it doesn't skip while jogging...

Yes, recording to the minidisc is annoying...It takes far too long and way too many hassels...

I also have an MP3 player with a 128mg SC card and I can drag and drop about 25 MP3 files to it in about 10 minutes or so...

So it would seem that the con's outweigh the pro's...but with the portability and sound quality, even at a lower bit rate than MP3's, I really like my little Sony and have decided NOT to get rid of it...

I got a packet of 10 minidiscs and have put a bunch of my favorite cuts on them and I'm quite happy...

Now, for those who are interested...here is a link to another forum that talks about using a Nero CD burner in RAM disk to do your ATRAC3 files and eliminate the 3 moves of your tracks on and off the minidisc...

I have not tried this yet, maybe this weekend, but it looks like a workable option to SonicStage...

http://www.t-station.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4825

Enjoy, and thanks for your time...

Steve
St Louis, MO

Unregistered
11-16-2003, 03:52 PM
I have a question... does a Atrac3/mp3 cd player from sony also read just regular mp3 cds without the atrac coding? or does it have to be in that coding? thanx

Unregistered
11-16-2003, 05:13 PM
This goes to people who have a Sony MDnet Player and use Sonic Stage.

If you want to transfer your MP3s to your MD player, be sure to have your MP3s encode in a quality not higher than 256kbps. I'm suggesting 224kbps because I experience some problems when converting MP3s with 256kbps quality songs to ATRAC3, they did not play on my PC nor the MD player. Strange enough, if you have your songs encode in .wma, you can go to 320kbps quality with no problems at all !

Unregistered
11-16-2003, 05:15 PM
If you have a MDnet Player from Sony, they will only read ATRAC - ATRAC3 format.

Admo
11-19-2003, 04:55 PM
How did you find the atrac converter? Can you please tell me???

C.L.

i also would like to get that converter!!! got the link? i can't find it....

unless it is somewhere else?

Unregistered
11-29-2003, 08:43 AM
If you have a MDnet Player from Sony, they will only read ATRAC - ATRAC3 format.

Problem:

I'm a guitar player that uses the Sony MZ-N710 in combination with the Sony ECM-ZS90 Stereo zoom mircophone, to record my stuff.

The problem is that my recordings apear as ATRAC and it seems impossible to copy them to the 'musicdrive' (harddisk).
Y?

It doesn't seem to have any problems with im-/exporting ATRAC3
files. Has anyone experienced this particulair problem?
Is there a patch of some sort?

Thanx in advance,
mailto:plectrum69@hotmail.com

Unregistered
11-29-2003, 08:44 AM
Problem:

I'm a guitar player that uses the Sony MZ-N710 in combination with the Sony ECM-ZS90 Stereo zoom mircophone, to record my stuff.

The problem is that my recordings apear as ATRAC and it seems impossible to copy them to the 'musicdrive' (harddisk).
Y?

Thanx in advance,
plectrum69@hotmail.com

Unregistered
12-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Problem:

Y?

Thanx in advance,
mailto:plectrum69@hotmail.com

Unregistered
12-08-2003, 10:29 PM
Pal:the Ending Of Atrac3 / Atrac3plus Is Atp. See Ya...

Unregistered
12-10-2003, 02:59 AM
Yeah, I agree Sony's SonicStage sucks bigtime. It's like flying a space shuttle on MS-DOS 1. One common problem I encounter is that after adding a bunch of files to the image to be burned, I get the error message "Cannot add more files" when the disk was not even one quarter full. This can be overcomed by burning multiple sessions on the disk (time wasted), which also means you get 20-30 folders on the disk if you want to fill up a whole 700 MB disk. Even then, you still get a "Not all files have been burned" message at the end of the burning process and indeed, they have an uncanny ability to miss out your favorite tracks. The conversion from mp3s is crap. There is a thumping noise in the backgroud for some tracks and it doesn't go away even when I encode them at higher quality. This doesn't happen when you convert directly from audio cd but if you convert audio cd to mp3 to ATRAC3, you get this problem, no matter what mp3 quality you try. Is Sony trying to kill mp3 and take over the world with ATRAC3? I can't believe a giant corporation as big as Sony can turn out a product so idiotic as this.

Unsatisfied Sony customer

oxygen7
12-17-2003, 11:52 AM
I am using the atrac3plus format at exceptionally high bitrates (524) you dont get that with any sony product. I got it off one of my cousins collegues who has a brother working in sony corp JAPAN. I dont think it will kill mp3 afterall all the new sony portables support mp3. But if developed a bit further it can be a good challanger. Now with that bitrate i also have a problem with thumping noises off mp3 converts but other than that i dont have any problems. Even at that bitrate i get 4 minute songs only around 5 megs big. its amazing and the sound is very clear. of course i am not ussing it proffessionally so i dont know what results it will have played on those big-as-my-bedroom wooffers that the guitarist dude might have. catch you later. i dont monitor this forum so for further contacts (other than giving any of you my high bitrate conversion software) you can contact me at oxygen7@abv.bg

LEEROY
12-17-2003, 05:52 PM
Yo, i've been reading up about atrac3 alot recently and have found the software from sony to make the atrac files, Its called SonicStage and theres this other on called OpenMG or something, i dunno, but heres the website guys:
www.vchewjr.addr.com

Anyways, my email addresss is infernostrike@hotmail.com, anyone with interesting info or updates on the atrac info can u please inform me

Thanks and ur welcome
Roy

Jau_Peacecraft
12-22-2003, 12:14 PM
A little detail I noticed on my computer....
The image viewer/ multimedia player Ifranview somehow was able to view one of ym atp files but didn't play for ovbious retarded obstacles by Sony. A possible look into for a atrac3 player? Not sure if that helps, but upon coming to this thread I too will try my hardest to help the search.

The potential of this format is just waiting out there... I can feel it!
Muahahahahaa

Jau Peacecraft
Creator of Peacecraft Productions

Jau_Peacecraft
12-22-2003, 12:46 PM
A little detail I noticed on my computer....
The image viewer/ multimedia player Ifranview somehow was able to view one of ym atp files but didn't play for ovbious retarded obstacles by Sony. A possible look into for a atrac3 player? Not sure if that helps, but upon coming to this thread I too will try my hardest to help the search.

The potential of this format is just waiting out there... I can feel it!
Muahahahahaa

Jau Peacecraft

Jau_Peacecraft
12-22-2003, 12:47 PM
Go here:
(Atrac3 codec)

http://www.cole2k.net/

Interesting...very interesting...;)

I shall continue the search!

Jau Peacecraft

Jau_Peacecraft
12-22-2003, 01:10 PM
Get Soulseek (search on google or zeropaid.com)
And Add this user to your list:

jhitronic

He has the Atrac3 codec ([All Codecs for DivX 5.0.5 Pro, XviD, 3ivx, MP3, AC3, OGG & Sony ATRAC3, Also supports Matroska & XCD] Cole2k Media - Codec Pac)
Rename it to.exe when finished downloading.

I will reply when I restart computer and try to see if it works (after the installation)

Jau Peacecraft
http://www.geocities.com/jau_peacecraft

P.S. Im giving my URL since I might host whatever I can find pertaining to Atrac3 codec and atrac3 on it later on, if i find anything that works.

ToolNut
12-22-2003, 06:04 PM
ok so its been a few months....ok so realplayer one...the free version allows you to download an add on that allows you to use realone as a way to burn atrac3/plus cds...so i wonder if this could be done with dBpowerAMP....

Unregistered
01-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I agree Sony's SonicStage sucks bigtime. It's like flying a space shuttle on MS-DOS 1. One common problem I encounter is that after adding a bunch of files to the image to be burned, I get the error message "Cannot add more files" when the disk was not even one quarter full. This can be overcomed by burning multiple sessions on the disk (time wasted), which also means you get 20-30 folders on the disk if you want to fill up a whole 700 MB disk. Even then, you still get a "Not all files have been burned" message at the end of the burning process and indeed, they have an uncanny ability to miss out your favorite tracks. The conversion from mp3s is crap. There is a thumping noise in the backgroud for some tracks and it doesn't go away even when I encode them at higher quality. This doesn't happen when you convert directly from audio cd but if you convert audio cd to mp3 to ATRAC3, you get this problem, no matter what mp3 quality you try. Is Sony trying to kill mp3 and take over the world with ATRAC3? I can't believe a giant corporation as big as Sony can turn out a product so idiotic as this.

Unsatisfied Sony customer
yes I have to agree ..i can't burn one CD with out it crashing and my beautiful highly organized play list.. LOST..took me about an hour just to make the play list!! WHY NOT OFFER THE OPTION TO SAVE YOUR LIST!?! I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT PLANET SONY WAS LIVING ON?!!and for what..NOTHING! REALLY IT SUCKS...the software sonicstage is shit ..musicmath juke box is a decent progam they need to take some notes...so i spent all this money not to be able to burn music why revolve your product around a bad progam??!

Spoon
01-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Sony have gotten a really bad name with their digital players, personally I wouldn't touch one, shame as their other poducts - TVs, Playstation, etc are quite good.

Unregistered
01-03-2004, 12:53 AM
the cd player itself isnt that bad it is actually quite good. None of you are forced to use atrac3plus. My conclusion is that atrac3plus feature is a joke and we are all better off utilising the mp3 cd players as mp3 players and not atrac players.

Unregistered
01-03-2004, 01:15 AM
Go here:
(Atrac3 codec)

http://www.cole2k.net/

Interesting...very interesting...;)

I shall continue the search!

Jau Peacecraft

you know that site (http://www.cole2k.net) this might be stupid but i cant download anything off it. it says:

"To enable direct downloads and file mail please click tha banner at the bottom of the page, you may also need cookies enabled on your browser."

i think i have done that, but i still cant download anything. can anyone help, because i also need this for my DV cam

Unregistered
01-05-2004, 03:46 AM
The only beef I have with Sonic Stage Simple Burner is that one time, I was ripping a large amount of CD's to Atrac3Plus for my sister, and in the middle of burning the software said error, and all the information was lost and the cd was unusable. I wish it could've ripped the cd's to the hard disk and then burned them, but it rips them to a temp directory and if something goes wrong all that hard work that you did ends up getting thrown away.

That's why we want Atrac3 and Atrac3Plus supported in DBpowerAmp. So we can have entire music collections of Atrac encoded files on our hard drive at our disposal, to do whatever we want with them, and play them in DBpowerAmp and even convert them to another format if we wanted to.

Unregistered
01-05-2004, 03:14 PM
www.cole2k.net uses a pop up verifier, it blocks you if you have a pop up killer.

Unregistered
01-11-2004, 12:41 PM
http://www.my-minidisc.de/download/tools_atrac3.zip

Unregistered
01-11-2004, 04:36 PM
What does AVLS mean? How can I get it to stop prohibiting me from turning up my volume?

Joseph
01-11-2004, 07:26 PM
What does AVLS mean?

Automatic Volume Limiting System

Unregistered
01-12-2004, 03:41 AM
i just got tha atrac3+ discman from sony. I found a way 2 stop from SonicStage from crashing or skippin tracks while it writes on a cd. I use CDRW when burning cdz in atrac3 format n yes i did get that strange problem when SonicStage messes up and gives msg'z such as "some tracks weren't written" or "error". BUT THERE IS A WAY!!! This might sound really silly n a bit stupid but i went out n got SONY [music] CDRW'z instead of using wat i usually use which is TDK, and now sonicstage doesnt stuff up anymore!
But what puzzles me is that sony hasn't released a program that will allow u 2 play atrac3's on pc'z or macs?? YY???

- not so satisfied sony customer

P.S. n the person who asked about AVLS...therez a switch that gives u tha option 2 turn on/off AVLS itz found when u open tha disc lid..that part near the lense

Unregistered
01-17-2004, 03:55 AM
I am also starting to get fed up with this software. Everytime I try to rip CD's to ATRAC3 it completely freezes up!!! I have only been able to make one CD with this software and have wasted countless hours trying to mak another one. Does anyone have any type of solution for this problem or am I screwed?

TheyCallMeX
01-19-2004, 07:33 PM
My problem with the program, is that ya cant but more than 99 folders.....If you can and i just dont know how..Can some one help me?

Unregistered
01-25-2004, 05:56 AM
one thing I've noticed is that many people are talking about converting mp3>atrac3. this will inherently produce the problem of creating unlistenable song tracks since when you are converting from one lossy form of compression to another you are continuing to lose sound quality. that is why I would like to see dbpoweramp come out with it's own Atrac3 plugin so one could convert SHN, FLAC, WAV to Atrac3 thus maintaining most of the sound quality.

The Jackyl

Unregistered
01-25-2004, 11:51 AM
First of all - some people were saying how the SimpleBurner was locking up or giving error messages - I had the same problem...wasted about 3 hours trying to figure it out. From what I've found out, it happens when you try and convert regular CDs, AND MP3 CDs to an Atrac3Plus CD...I'd convert about 10 CDs, then go with my MP3 files, organize them, title them, etc.

Try reversing that order - converting MP3s first, THEN do CDs. It worked for me.

Alright, the program IS a bit slowER...but on my new Dell computer it's fine. It's more high-end, that's all.

On the real issue, though, Sony is shooting themselves in the foot here. They have the potential for a GREAT format here. Atrac3Plus IS decent, when it's tweaked. I'm fortunate to know someone at Sony who has access to the Atrac codecs (sorry...I asked for 'em and he wouldn't give em to me :D ), and they're pretty good if you tweak them up to a higher bitrate. 128 Kbps sounds like CD-quality, even on my friend's $400 a pop speakers. The only problem...is that tweaking it is damn hard with that DAMN SIMPLEBURNER program!

I realise that security might be an issue here - release the codecs to companies and they could be leaked to companies like Koss or Yamaha...and there goes Sony's profitable monopoly. Put in some security measures - we've already seen things like that done with Windows XP and those new Secure CDs, and lease the codecs to dbPowerAMP and other players and charge royalties or something. Suddenly, they replace MP3s (no matter what people say, they ARE smaller in file size, by comparison), and their being used everywhere.

Look at DVD - it's taking OVER the video market. There was competition at first - Laser Disc, and DivX and whatnot - but it's accepted everywhere, it's inherintly better than VHS by a long shot - you've got a good product now SELL IT.

Unregistered
01-27-2004, 07:29 AM
one thing I've noticed is that many people are talking about converting mp3>atrac3. this will inherently produce the problem of creating unlistenable song tracks since when you are converting from one lossy form of compression to another you are continuing to lose sound quality. that is why I would like to see dbpoweramp come out with it's own Atrac3 plugin so one could convert SHN, FLAC, WAV to Atrac3 thus maintaining most of the sound quality.

The Jackyl

sorry to say so, but i never read anything so stupid !
the conversion is not made by filtering out stuff from the mp3 as a RAW,
its being processed back into "normal" wav data (a raw sound)
which is generated into mem by decompressing the mp3..
then generating the returning format (atrac3, ogg, etc..) back from mem,
working a second after another, this allows a normal quality.
when things like shitty quality happens its usually because of a problem within
the mp3, the encoded data doesnt allow the decoding process to return
a raw data close enough to something that been in the original CDA/WAV data,
ergo, the re-filtering will take out the excessive codes, which in this case would be the needed codes,
leaving the shitty crap.

so lets sum it up,
stupid = mp3>filter>atrac3
smart = mp3>decompress>filter>atrac3

Unregistered
01-28-2004, 06:08 AM
You have a very twisted theology. You think you know what you are talking about, but you really have no clue. So maybe you should just stop now.

Horney666
01-31-2004, 12:03 AM
Hey. ive beensitting reading all the posts in this topic and now i'm gonna throw in my two cents.

I have a SONY atrac3plus CDwalkman (D-NE711). I also used the SSSBurner and found out problems. I didnt receive any error messages just the thing freezing on me. But i stormed off after this had happened for the eight time, and lo-and-behold, when i came back 2 minutes later - it was fixed. i was just too impatient?! My processor had a problem reading the disc! Any of you guys try that??

Also, about the quality andstuff, mine is fine. All the songs (both those MP3's i had downloaded, and the songs from my CD collection) are all saved at 66kbps - which is really good quality listening to it on my earphones.

Any questions i'll help cos i seem to be the only person that has any praise for SONY and ATRAC - i feel it will revolutionisethe music industry - i love listening to any of 40-50 artists whenever i like without carrying around a suitcase full of CDS!!!!!!!!!

Thanx for your time

Allan (AKA Horney666)

Web Power
01-31-2004, 01:59 AM
Search for 'SurfSecret' on download.cnet.com

SuftSecret CD Rip Software 30 day trial description is
"rip Audio CDs, and convert files to/from WAV, OGG, MP3, MP2, Real Audio, Vorbis, WMV, AVI, VQF, Monkey Audio, Atrac3, and more"

This is the link to that page
http://download.com.com/3000-2646-10200579.html?tag=lst-0-1

I was looking for ATRAC3 solution for someone I know. I would not buy
products of such dumb company which is making people run around for
solutions for what they have paid for. There are tons of players out
there. Why use such encrypted media and keep crying ?

Boycott SONY.

Spoon
01-31-2004, 02:18 AM

Almost certainly this is the Wave ACM codec that Sony released, such Atrac files can not be used on any sony device.

Unregistered
02-02-2004, 04:49 AM
What seems to be the deal with Sony and their excusiveness with their technolog....anyways why would you want to have a cd at such low qualaty as ATRAC3? thats like 64kb/s! 128-192kb/s is about the best if you want to bother compressing the files much. But the highest ATRAC3 qualaty is around 132?kb/s so thats still low but i guess its "supposedly" a better comp. algorythm than the mp3 one. So i guess it would be a good idea to somhow include support fot ATRAC3 in dbpowerAMP......but i bet it would be a CLI encoder only........

i have the same issues as most of these people, wheres the software update? Never mind that, quality over quantity, atrac3 at 64kbps is cleaner then mpe at 256kbps, i know that sounds like a dang advertisement, but i know this cause i plugged my little diskman into my pioneer hi fi system and it sounded lots better, the bass didnt hollow out at the lower ohm's like with mp3's.

ALL I WANT IS A DANG UPDATE TO THE SOFTWARE OR A PLUGIN FOR MUSICMATCH OR ANY PROGRAM TO CONVERT AND BURN WITHOUT THE ERROR MESSAGE! thank you and goodnight

Unregistered
02-11-2004, 06:11 PM
I bought the d-ne711 mainly to play my mp3cds and was didnt know anything about its atrac3 capabilities. I was very happy with the amount of mp3s that i could fit on a cd but i figured i'd try atrac3 anyway just to see what it could do.

I think everyone agrees the simple burner thing is awful, it lacks even the most basic features that you'd expect in a piece of software. An update would definitely be welcome.

I was suprised by the amount of time a full cd took to make but when i thought about it again it wasnt that bad for what was involved. i.e. decodeding 300 mp3s to WAV format and then encoding them in the complex atrac3 format, 5 or 6 hours isnt that long. It would probably take me a lot long to rip 20 albums to mp3.

A 64kps file sounding almost better in some cases than a 128kbs file sounded too good to be true but the quality is amazing.

The only problem was the fact that it was unable to write a number of mp3s. I dont know for sure but i think i read somwhere that this is something to do with a particular mp3 codec. Anyone know which one? Or anything about this?

I was sceptical of surfsecrets claims to be able to encode atrac3/ It seemed to be that if Sony had allowed them the use of the codec then others would have the encoding ability too and my scepticism was proven to be correct as i found when i tried it. Surfsecret cant encode atrac3. It simply does not work.

Unregistered
02-17-2004, 01:11 AM
Hi, is there any software that allows me 2 download not in realtime audio files from my sony md? See i'm recording conterts, and it's every week and sometimes 2 at teh weekend. Eeh it takes so much time to make a backup (Mp3, AudioCD, etc...). Is there a way do grabb this files from my MD faster than real time playback ? And not losing sound quality ofcourse.

Thanks.

Unregistered
02-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Is this even possible, to convert WMA files to ATRAC3 in the Simpleburner software? Do I have to convert them to MP3's first? 'Cause that takes like 30 minutes per album, and I've got maybe 50 albums to do...I don't have the time! Can anybody suggest a better way? Is there another program out there that will make the whole conversion thing less painful and time consuming? HELP!!!!!!!

Unregistered
02-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Is this even possible, to convert WMA files to ATRAC3 in the Simpleburner software? Do I have to convert them to MP3's first? 'Cause that takes like 30 minutes per album, and I've got maybe 50 albums to do...I don't have the time! Can anybody suggest a better way? Is there another program out there that will make the whole conversion thing less painful and time consuming? HELP!!!!!!!

Sure, if u got Atrac3 codec that's no problem. U can use any grabb/convert sofware like Easy CD-DA Extractor(Easy Audio File Converter).

pe666o
02-24-2004, 12:54 PM

hey if you have MD player, you should have music match coming with it, i have one, it is very slow from converting mp3-atrac3, though the quality is alaways the same as the mp3, never worse! thats mean it is the same or supirior to mp3z

Joseph
02-25-2004, 03:44 AM
hey if you have MD player, you should have music match coming with it, i have one, it is very slow from converting mp3-atrac3, though the quality is alaways the same as the mp3, never worse! thats mean it is the same or supirior to mp3z

The software is still buggy, and crashes. I gave up on it. I just use dBpowerAMP to rip CD's in MP3 using Alt-Preset Standard. It does a good job, and can be played in big performance speakers and no one will know the difference.

Joseph
02-25-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally Posted by Unregistered

The Atrac3 format is DRM Protected, and can only be played back on the Original computer. So you won't find any files anywhere, most likely.

Unregistered
03-01-2004, 11:32 PM
i own a nw ms90d

atrac allows me 2 compress the mp3's i no it takes alot of time but it also saves alot of space, this allows tons of listening time.

this also means that big music companies will start releasing there music in atrac3plus format as sharing will become more difficult...........

also i have software that allows me 2 play back atrac, the official stff that i got wid my player.

the player itself is absolutly tiny, and the memory can b exanded and there is a long battery life for such a smal thing1

Unregistered
03-12-2004, 08:12 PM
If you want to play atrac3 in winamp, here is the link to the plugin:
http://winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=50864

Although the simpleburner tends to crash a lot, i find the benefits far outweight these crashes - the ability to have 24 hours of music sounding (almost) perfect in my car is fantastic. I do wish theyd update the software though - SB seems like a 5 minute job...

Unregistered
03-13-2004, 09:53 AM

Unregistered
03-13-2004, 09:56 AM
where i can find soft to ATRAC3

Unregistered
03-13-2004, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=Unregistered]Where I can find the software of the atrac3 or atrac3plus player, to play my atrac3plus music.

Unregistered
03-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Where I can find atrac3plus recorder. To chang from audio CD to atrac. khjlc

Unregistered
03-15-2004, 10:03 AM
hi i got the openmg program and i would like to know how i can burn the songs i have in the program to cd´s cause i cant find them when i try to burn is their any kind of converter or anything i can use?????????

Unregistered
03-15-2004, 01:17 PM

hi,

find a friend who just bought a Netminidisc or one of the new regular CD players that supports ATRAC3.

they all come with software.

why you'd want to go limited copy proprietary i'm not sure.

Unregistered
03-16-2004, 01:50 AM
ive got a dnf611, which plays atrac3 and atrac3+, and yes, the ss software supplied with it is pants...

i do hav 2 queries...

1- ive filled half a cdr with music (though it took my about 4 goes...), but i wanna transfer that to a cdrw and carry on burning the rest of my music on that, but when i try to copy the disc (using Nero), it says its copy protected, and then fails... has anyone else had problems copying atrac3(+) discs?

2- if i do get it on a cdrw, can i change the contents of groups and/or rearrange the groups in separate sessions? or does using a cdrw only provide you with the advantage of just erasing the disk and starting it all again? it would be nice to be able to delete tracks from groups and adding new ones...

can anyone help?

cheers :)

Unregistered
03-19-2004, 06:02 AM
[ QUOTE=Unregistered]thank per aiutare. Ma osserva come smusso il ritrovamento tutta la lima sul Internet con ATP, AT2 O AT3. I'v ha tryed il p2p useing (Kazaa) ed i ricercatori di URL/ftp così come dogpile & il altavista. se qualcuno conosce un buon posto per convincere la musica ATRAC3 o un website affinchè il software trasferisca un MP3 dal sistema centrale verso i satelliti -- >atrac3 mi dicono, poichè sto cercando uno per le settimane thanks[/QUOTE ]
dove posso trovare il programma per poterlo leggere sul pc e non soltanto sul supporto portatile
grazie Aquila

Unregistered
03-30-2004, 09:13 AM
I am in the uk - dunno where the rest of you guys are. I'be got a dne-711. its good. the sb software however is total junk. atrac is a good idea - why cant sony release something better to burn with. i've now wasted 14 hours with this tut and am inches away from throwing it all back in a box. why does it barf????? a very unhappy sony customer

Unregistered
03-31-2004, 02:58 AM
I got the DNE-800 from audiocubes. Everythings in Japanese but it rips cds in seconds. MP3 conversion takes *blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper*in ages though

Unregistered
04-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi, is there any software that allows me 2 download not in realtime audio files from my sony md? See i'm recording conterts, and it's every week and sometimes 2 at teh weekend. Eeh it takes so much time to make a backup (Mp3, AudioCD, etc...). Is there a way do grabb this files from my MD faster than real time playback ? And not losing sound quality ofcourse.

Thanks.

Nope its all in real time. I hear your pain. Ive recorded about 100 concerts as well and it takes hours to get it on CDs. However, the new HI-MD recorders that are coming out in the next few months will allow USB uploading on songs recorded via the line/mic analog in. IT will also record in several setting including PCM (uncompressed) audio.

----------
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg
aim: dunebug81

Unregistered
04-05-2004, 06:08 AM
hey does the sound quality of atrac3 and atrac3 plus sound better than a 128kbps mp3 file?

I'm thinking of purchasing a sony NW-MS90D which has 512mb memory. If I were to convert my 128kbps mp3 files to atrac3 or atrac3plus, am I gona lose a lot of sound quality? is it noticeable?

Because the ms90D is very expensive...350$ U.S....I can get a 4gb muvo2, nitrus, or mini ipod for less $...this all winds down to sound quality...and I really like the ms90D because of its compact size

Spoon
04-05-2004, 07:11 AM
>am I gona lose a lot of sound quality? is it noticeable

From 128Kbps mp3 yes you probabbly will notice it, the key with Audio Compression is to compress direct from an Audio CD for best results (not an mp3 where sound quality is already lower)>

SamEm24
04-06-2004, 06:56 PM
that sony burning software(Sonic Stage Simple Burner) Isn't encoding all the mp3 files I choose, sometimes it Doesn't burn all the desired songs on the cd, is there an alternative to this, I want to use Atrac3Plus 48Kbps, ne help?!

Unregistered
04-06-2004, 07:46 PM
SonicStage is well crap.

How the hell do I create a ATRAC3 file with at bit rate of at least 256kbps that sonic stage will allow to transfer to by netMD?

SonicStage 2 allows you to create a 256kbps ATRAC3PLUS, but this will not transfer to my NedMD.
The highest quality ATRAC file that I can create and transfer without further conversion is an ATRAC3 132kbps which is shit, as the bit rate of ATRAC stored on a MD is 256kbps.

Has anyone created better software yet??

HELP!!!

Unregistered
04-10-2004, 05:14 AM
']The same to me... I don't think that Sony will release the format specifications to privates or open source projects... but why not try?

04-11-2004, 07:18 AM
I just got d-nf400.. it is a atrac3plus mp3 CD walkman, anyways, i tried running the sonicstage program to make my own "ATRAC CD." i have all my audio in my library. i got it to the transfer screen. I put all the audio i want in the transfer side of the screen. BUT every second or so, all the music i wanted to put into the CD disappears. i get so fustrated! damn.. anyways.. i put the new patch on and everything, but hte same freakin problem keeps poping up. i tried to continue burning the CD, but the progess bar just stops in the middle of 1-2%. i tried waiting, contacted Sony support.. nothin.. i hope i can get some support here...

Unregistered
04-13-2004, 04:36 AM
[url]http://download.com.com/3000-2646-10200579.html?tag=lst-0-1[/

Unregistered
04-13-2004, 04:40 AM

SuftSecret CD Rip Software 30 day trial description is
"rip Audio CDs, and convert files to/from WAV, OGG, MP3, MP2, Real Audio, Vorbis, WMV, AVI, VQF, Monkey Audio, Atrac3, and more"

http://download.com.com/3000-2646-10200579.html?tag=lst-0-1

I TRIED SURFSECRET AND IT DOESN'T WORK,i cannot install the program..Can anyone help?
Boycott SONY.

Unregistered
04-13-2004, 04:57 AM
Sure, if u got Atrac3 codec that's no problem. U can use any grabb/convert sofware like Easy CD-DA Extractor(Easy Audio File Converter).
HELP.......Can u give me a link in order to find those atrac 3 codecs?

Unregistered
04-13-2004, 05:12 AM
i EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEM,I have this message appearing :"setup was unable to create the directory C:/Program files/ Surfsecretripburn" access denied.... HELP....

yilmam
05-02-2004, 10:12 AM
I've had a Sony D-NE510 atrac3 cd player for a year now, and I've got to say I'm very impressed.

I've had no problems using simple burner doing a very things I picked up on after the first blown cd:

1. You can't convert mp3 files with either VBR(bit rate changes during the song) or if the mp3 file has a frequency of under 32kHz. *If you have a file that is either VBR or under 32kHz do not try to convert it as is. Simply convert it to a steady bit rate, or a higher frequency using Cool Edit pro, or a similiar audio editing program.

2. If you listen to the songs using Simple Burner it will probably crash the program. Instead, use winamp or another program to listen to the songs (to determine which you want in the burn for example).

3. Close all other programs on your computer. I have a beast of a comp, and even so simple burner uses most of my system resources. It's a slow process (which is understandable giving what it's doing) so don't make it any slower by taking away essential system resources...and possibly causing an error in so doing.

I've had no problems using simple burner, so if you follow these and still have problems, it's something I'm just not getting for some reason.

In regards to quality, I've got to say I'm VERY impressed. I was expecting a neccessary trade off between quantity and quality. Surprisingly the tradeoff is almost nothing. I have a $250 pair of sennheiser headphones, and comparing the original audio to atrac quality at 105 and there's almost no difference.

At the lowest (48) the difference is slighty more noticable, but only when using good headphones, and even then it's still a small difference.

Hope i helped out, if only a little :D

Unregistered
05-06-2004, 11:34 AM
I've been checking around as I had a very long time ago when i posted and I foudn real audio 8 has the codec built into it to play atrac3? I found it mentioned in some random notes i found searching google. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to look into the technology of real audio 8 in order to maybe provide an alternative means of playing and possible converting these into different formats? I'd imagine cool edit could do that? Anyways, still searching, really disgruntled for burning about 23 albums over two or three atrac3 discs -_-.

Jau Peacecraft

Unregistered
05-08-2004, 02:35 AM
is it possible to convert atrac to mp3?

Joseph
05-08-2004, 05:30 AM
is it possible to convert atrac to mp3?

Yes, but not easily.

Unregistered
05-08-2004, 06:10 AM
Is there a program that can be purchased?

Unregistered
05-08-2004, 12:28 PM
I recently found a atrac3.acm file on soulseek......what would his file do? I was going to try and see if Irfanview could somehow use it [like their mdia player plug in, that would be awesome if their program could support the format, lt alone anything else].

hey everyone can hope.

Jau Peacecraft

Unregistered
05-09-2004, 04:24 AM
SonicStage 2 allows you to create a 256kbps ATRAC3PLUS, but this will not transfer to my NedMD.
The highest quality ATRAC file that I can create and transfer without further conversion is an ATRAC3 132kbps which is shit, as the bit rate of ATRAC stored on a MD is 256kbps.

Atrac3plus is only supported on HIMD players, to use on a normal net MD reencode to normal Atrac.

UnforseenPlague
05-11-2004, 08:08 AM
Alright, ive read this post and its all the same ppl sayin the same thing, so i just want to say, if someone finds a way to convert atrac3 plus or atrac3 to mp3, please let everyone know. I just want to know, i dont care if its a 5000 word essay, thats what macros and visual basic and programming in C is for :D

Heck now that i think about it, atrac3 or atrac3 plus to ANYTHING else would own. What sony does this for is because of all the copyright infirgement that goes around, with this software it ensures that ppl cant copy their stuff, smart except they forgot something, it pissed off to many people and their sales droped, but not enough to change the crappy atrac3 convertions crap.

Unregistered
05-12-2004, 03:45 PM
to correct an earlier post :-

Atrac3Plus is supported on HiMD and Atrac CD Walkman units.

in general :-

i use a D-NE1, wasn't too impressed with Simple Burner... more impressed with SS 2.0.

I'll have to check by first-hand importing, but i suspect that SS 2.0 might actually import VBR MP3's properly for convert to ATRAC (only notable if the bulk of collection is mP3 really).

SS 2.0 also adds burning mp3 & Audio cD's from library stored files (which can be ATRAC OMG's, WAV, WMA or mp3) but having not tested that function, i dont know what filetype restricts apply there.

i'll report back if anything goes postive on the tests, in case it helps towards any efforts to add ATRAC support to DMC, p/b support to DMP.

Part of the installation of ss 2.0 adds, as i recall, a directsound filter for OMG (OpenMG) files - so if any potential exists for utilising a Directsound filter plug-in.. that's another avenue to check..

LoMaxXf3
05-17-2004, 05:21 AM
does anyone know of any pc software/plugin(winamp, windows media player...) that i could download and use to play back my burned atrac3 cd's? I don't want to have to always listen to my atrac3's through my sony atrac3 cd player. It'd be nice if i could get something that would be as easy as popping in my atrac3 cd into the cd/dvd drive and instantly playing it like a normal cd.

yilmam
05-18-2004, 07:42 AM
I don't think such a thing exists yet. Not even sonic stage simple burner 2 (which also acts as a media player) can playback atrac format from disks.

Personally, I don't like simple burner 2 very much. My main complaint is that you have to import every music file (or folder) that you want to burn to an atrac disk into the simple burner 2 library first. I found just being able to browse your hd (with SS1) much easier. The only real advantage ss2 has over ss1, other than acting as a media player, is that you can burn in 256kbps atrac3plus quality. I doubt I would ever use this quality, but it is still nice to have it.

Unregistered
05-18-2004, 07:45 AM
whoops, "ss" should actually be "sb" (for simple burner).

Unregistered
05-19-2004, 02:06 AM
OK please help me!!
Yesterday i jus installed sonicstage 2.0 ive only spent a few mins on it but it seems reliable. Although, when i burnt cd's on my sonicstage simple burner not all the tracks would be burnt. Are those the ones that are in grey text??
Or, is it that not all mp3's can be burnt?
I haven't tried burning on the 2.0 version yet so hopefully, i wont be disappointed.

yilmam
05-19-2004, 01:59 PM
I've had a Sony D-NE510 atrac3 cd player for a year now, and I've got to say I'm very impressed.

I've had no problems using simple burner doing a very things I picked up on after the first blown cd:

1. You can't convert mp3 files (to atrac3) with either VBR(bit rate changes during the song) or if the mp3 file has a frequency of under 32kHz. *If you have a file that is either VBR or under 32kHz do not try to convert it (to atrac3) as is. Simply convert it to a steady bit rate, or a higher frequency using Cool Edit pro, or a similiar audio editing program.

Hope i helped out, if only a little :D

That's probably the problem. =D

Unregistered
05-20-2004, 07:55 AM
well i posted a day ago, and i tried burning with my 2.0 v. It worked perfectly.
The songs from Win MX are mostly VBR quality. On sonicstage 1.0 some of these din't burn. this is true.
but for sonicstage v 2.0 everything went smoothly. i burnt songs with the 256 option. They were perfect. even the ones with the VBR.
:)

Doormat
05-21-2004, 01:22 AM
I have no choice but to use this, since my Walkman is one of the old NW jobs, which only play Atrac3. What bothers me is that my old PC (with 4 years worth of cd collection on it) blew up, and even having swapped the HD over, the OpenMG database files won't work on my new PC. The music is there, dammit, but i can't play it - and the idea of re-ripping all my cd's is not exactly appealing. All DRM sucks - and is the main killer of Legal Download projects - no one want's to be restricted this way. I cant use any of the legal sites, because i cant turn their DRM files into sony DRM files. I need raw mp3's - and there is only one place to get them :-)

Khwaja
05-27-2004, 08:30 PM
With all tons of sound technology programmers and
still no converter from ATRAC3 to MP3/Wav ??

DVD to video converters came pretty fast. Why this
stupid thing is taking too much time ? ATRAC3 is
proprietory thing, so what. DVD is too.

Unregistered
05-27-2004, 10:10 PM
I would guess the reason is Sony's legal team;)

Unregistered
06-11-2004, 02:30 AM
does anyone know of any pc software/plugin(winamp, windows media player...) that i could download and use to play back my burned atrac3 cd's? I don't want to have to always listen to my atrac3's through my sony atrac3 cd player. It'd be nice if i could get something that would be as easy as popping in my atrac3 cd into the cd/dvd drive and instantly playing it like a normal cd.

Unregistered
06-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Yes, but not easily.
So, how do you go about converting it? I have a bunch of ATP files that I want to listen in my car, but my player in my car is not SONY and won't play them. How do I go about converting these ATP files to MP3?

DeX
06-15-2004, 08:35 AM
well there is this problem one one hand but on the other:
i want to convert al my damn mp3`s (5132 of them) to ATRAC3plus
i can do that BUT can i find a reasonable atrac3PLUS codec so i can play them in winamp or sumthing???
i think Atrac is a very nice technology but i hope the codec and a GOOD software player should arrive soon on the market.
If you found an ATRAC3PLUS (only plus) decoder plz reply or mail me
drag05h@yahoo.com or sumthing I`m desperate.... (the player rulz D-NS505 but SS (shitty stage) clearly sucks

Taher
06-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Hello dear users

I have Sony Sonic Stage but I have not the disc player for Atrac3Plus.
Please help me to find a free player software to play A3P files on PC.
Please send your answers to tahereskandari@yahoo.com

Thanks & Best Regards,
Taher

Taher
06-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Hello dear users

I have Sony Sonic Stage but I have not Sony disk player. So I cann't play CDs that born with Sonic Stage.
Please help me to find a player software to play Atrac3Plus with PC as simple as play MP3 on computer.
Please send your answers to tahereskandari@yahoo.com .

I am waiting for your lovely relplies.

Thanks & Best Regards,
Taher

DeX
06-16-2004, 06:53 AM
Hello dear users

I have Sony Sonic Stage but I have not Sony disk player. So I cann't play CDs that born with Sonic Stage.
Please help me to find a player software to play Atrac3Plus with PC as simple as play MP3 on computer.

Thanks & Best Regards,
Taher
THERE IS NO SOFTWARE you dummy, read the forum! i`m trying to find a damn codec for ages and i can`t find one operational.
Sonic Stage Sux big time, it isn`t even capable of READING IT'S OWN FILES....
WTF is wrong with sony? the damn guys fooked up really nasty......

DeX
06-16-2004, 07:09 AM
and as i was saying IF anybody finds the blasted codec plz let me know.... :cry:

Kno
06-17-2004, 03:02 AM
http://www.sonicstudio.com/products_ncode.htm

I will try this and see if it works

Kno

DeX
06-17-2004, 03:50 AM
did you read anything???
the program has not yet launched...... so it again is not an answer....
it has the atrac3plus codec but it's not found anywhere for download, even with cash...
And so the search continues for a PLAYER and/or a coder/DECODER.....
:yawn:

DJ Exo
06-17-2004, 04:30 AM
Um I was wondering if someone could help me I have a Sony Walkman (NF-400) and I wanted to make an Atrac3Plus CD with the SonicStage Burner 2.0 and when I go to transfer my music to the Blank CD-R it takes them off and says that the transfer rate = 0 now the program says I can get unlimited transfers but i keep gettin that message does someone know how to fix this cause I had it about 3 days installed and its really startin to piss me off.

DeX
06-17-2004, 04:31 AM
ah and by the way.. my sonic stage software doesn't play the *.omg files, neither does OpenMG jukebox v2.2... wtf is happening...?????? :headbang:

DeX
06-17-2004, 07:42 AM
ah, almost forgot. i have an atrac3 codec, but it kinda doesn`t work...
its 95k: atrac3.acm, i need help.... :headbang:, sony take this :boese1:, daMN copyright freaks...

Unregistered
06-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Hello everyone,

After having seen a Sony ATRAC3 portable player at a local electronic store I decided to go search the web to gather information about that stuff because I didn't knew a thing about it. I did find some very interesting things and I want to share it. For now, if you want to download ATRAC3-related softwares, go at:

http://www.my-minidisc.com/index.php?language=en&action=download_en.html

There you will find, among other things, SonicStage version 1.5, but version 2 is available once the version 1.5 has been installed (download the Update Installer) and different player plugins!!

Hope that helps! If you need some more info, just get back to me at: Sushi_AddictNOSPAM@hotmail.com (don't put NOSPAM, of course ;)
(notice the Underscore between Sushi and Addict)

Best to all,

Vincent
Quebec (Canada)

Unregistered
06-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Go there and enjoy...

http://www.my-minidisc.com/index.php?language=en&action=download_en.html

DeX
06-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Vincent, first of all Buy the damn sony player cause it rulz, i have a dns505 and i`m more than satisfied. the damn problem was tha SonicStage Doesn't know how to play it's OWN *.omg files. You can only play it with the player....
That was one of my problems:
1 Can't play optimized files on the computer
2 can't find a Atrac3plus codec that will make winamp and Wmplayer to read the damn files....
thnx anyway, cheers :komisch12

DeX
06-18-2004, 05:48 AM
Flash news ppl: i took me sum time :rolleyes: but I FINALLY GOT THE SOLUTION:
you can encode AND read atrac3 files, and even turn them into mp3 or sumthing else.
The only player i found is winamp (with a plugin found here)
http://winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=50864 (thnz to xaos)

and the codec is about 100k and found here:
http://www.my-minidisc.com/index.php?language=en&action=download_en.html (thnx to Vincent)

The codec works like this:
it's a format of *.wav, you can encode with it using:
Goldwave, audigrabber, sound recorder and so on.
just select wave--> atrac3-->66/105/135 kbps.

unfortunatley dMC has a bug, it makes waves of 30mb when the file should normaly be of MAX 4-5mb

DO NOT change the extension or else it will not play in winamp.

The player doesn't know how to read this file whatever the extension is (mp3,wav,atp,omg) i don't know if crappystage knows how to read this file and convert it but in any case the god thing is that you can now transform atrac3<-->mp3<-->wma and so on, and of course save a lot of disk space.

What really want to see is THIS codec added to the "codec central" and the dMC working perfectly converting with it!!!!!!!
but his still doesn't solve the need for a player that will play *.omg files, i don't think there will ever be one because the damn files are cpoyrighted so even if you have the codec for them you can't play them...

if you find anything new plz let me know drag05h@yahoo.com
Cheers to all the audio maniacs here :komisch12

Spoon
06-18-2004, 07:18 AM
Sony (for what ever reason) released a ACM Codec (an option when creating wave files), to compress to ATRAC, however only that ACM codec can read such files - it is not the same implementation as ATRAC is on their portables.

DeX
06-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Sony (for what ever reason) released a ACM Codec (an option when creating wave files), to compress to ATRAC, however only that ACM codec can read such files - it is not the same implementation as ATRAC is on their portables.
yes wel i kinda noticed that,BUT it is still quite a good codec....
and i still want to see dMC working nice and smooth converting files to atrac3 wave....
And so the search continues to find a player for *.omg files.
don't think there will ever be 1 because they have copyright protection...

P.S. the wave atrac3 codec is the same as the one used on playerz but it ain't got protection... that's why liquid plugin for winamp can play it... :p
i'm off then; Cheers :komisch12:

Unregistered
06-19-2004, 01:04 AM
the updater takes such a long time to start :)

anyhow , thaanx for the info guys . ive been trying to find anything for such a long while ..

did sony stop making the mini disc buner from within the pc . someone was selling it on ebay for 500 $ o_0

DeX
06-19-2004, 04:44 AM
huh??? :eek:

Unregistered
06-22-2004, 05:06 PM
what part did i confuse you with or are you just reacting to the madness of 500 $ ?

o yeh , a burner . the sonic stage is horrible . well not horrible but not too good . the file library crashes if its loading too many songs . my count is atleast 3000 songs but yeh . still shouldnt happen . there must be a simple program that burns mp3 into atrac3plus format . all i want to do is make a data cd and burn from mp3 to atrac . i cant encode files into atrac to make a cd . i need them to stay mp3 and i dont have the extra room to be doing all this crazyness .. why cant it just be easy minus the crappy sonic stage . am i missing something . im so unfamiliar with this kind of file format .

JCV
06-24-2004, 12:21 AM
I just bought an ATRAC3plus CD player Sony NF400 mainly due to it's advertised 400++ songs in 1 CD, very promising indeed.... more than you can fit if it's MP3 you're putting in the CD. I researched a bit about the features of that model and understand that it includes software for compiling CD in ATRAC3plus format... and that the software runs on Win XP which is my OS. However, i was in for a big surprise when after installing SonicStage 2.0, I found out that it is not compatible with dual boot systems. My PC was configured for dual boot between Windows 98 and Win XP professional, with Win98 mostly for older programs/games that has issues with Win XP.... and Win XP for personal/work related documents.

The thing is, I can rip songs from CD audio into .omg files. However, if I click on "Create ATRAC CD" button, the "ADD" button will not activate (it's grayed out) even if I put blank CD-R or CD-RW in the CD Writer. Anybody experienced the same thing. Is it really due to the dual boot setup? If it is, is there a way to make it work with the dual boot setup? Or are there any software that will encode my .omg files to ATRAC3plus CD with my present O.S. environment? I'm really pissed at Sony for giving me this hard time. I have friends that knew I was going to buy this thing and impressed at the thought of cramming 400++ songs in 1 CD. They must've bought one for themselves if it wasn't for my discouraging experience with the software. They've since asked around for other brands of portable but I'm stucked with this stupid SonicStage crap that won't work.

Any kind hearted tech wiz who can help me will be greatly appreciated. Kindly email me at jcvillaluz@pldt.com.ph for any bit of helpful info you can give.

Unregistered
06-27-2004, 12:26 PM
This is not going to make you feel any better but I am going through the exact same thing with the exact same dual boot problem. I am also hoping that someone who knows what they are doing will help us figure out this problem.

Unregistered
06-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Hello dear users

Thanks & Best Regards,
Taher

Unregistered
07-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Im not 100% positive about this, but I'm relativly sure that RealOne Player Basic and Platinum supports Atrac3 and Atrac3plus Files. It is also a Media Manager, and supports pretty much any Media Format. Its pretty cool, but i dont use it anymore, bcz I like the look of Windows Media Player, it uses a 10-band EQ, and I am used to using it. RealOne also has pretty good DVD Playback features, and pretty kool Visualizations.

DeX
07-01-2004, 11:33 PM
My dear last Unregistered, the problem is the following:
YOU can't play atrac3plus files with anything even if the program has the codec, i searched the entire web and i read every single article about atrac3+ that google could find (it took about 3 weeks), and i am telling you those files are EVIL they are copyrighted and cannot be played by anything!!!
Only if someone gives me the codec for atrac3+, i would kindly offer my self to make the player to skip the copyright in any original file (dunnow if it's legal) .... notify me.... if u find something new.. i`m watching this forum closely. :)

Unregistered
07-05-2004, 06:46 AM
Sony calls their DRM system OpenMG, which is short for "Open Magic Gate". OpenMG is called this because it acts as the only gate/gateway between your digital device (CLIE, Hi-MD, Net-MD, and Net-Walkman) and the music files. Music files that are ripped into ATRAC3 or ATRAC3plus within the SonicStage 2.0 software have a license associated with them upon conversion into the OpenMG format. SonicStage is the only piece of software available that can read the OpenMG headers wrapped around ATRAC3 or ATRAC3plus files with the omg, oma extensions, thus is the only piece of software that can export/access to an to aformentioned list of OpenMG compatible devices. All music that is ripped from Redbook into SonicStage 2.0 has a license generated and applied with the following rights "Remaining Audio CD Transfer Count = Unlimited" and "Remaining ATRAC CD Transfer Count = Unlimited". When ATRAC3/ATRAC3plus CD's are created the headers are modified aswell as the extensions w/ a *.ATP extension, which only Sony ATRAC3/ATRAC3plus CD players can read. Even if you take a *.ATP file off the CD and rename it to omg, SonicStage will refuse to touch it because SonicStage 2.0 does not have the ability to read the headers, nor does it have the required license to decode. Moving on to Sony Connect. Sony Connect Music Store offers all music in ATRAC3 (not ATRAC3plus) format. When you purchase a song and download it on an authorized machine a license is acquired with 1 of the two following rights. Either one, 5 ATRAC3 CD burns and 5 Redbooks Audio CD burns aswell as unlimited (except for music under the Warner Music Group, which is limited to 3 OpenMG device exports) exporting to an OpenMG compatable device, such as the aformetioned. Or Two, unlimited Redbook Audio CD burning, but 0 ATRAC3 CD burning, and unlimited export to a OpenMG device. Notably license rights vary by label. You can have 3 authorized machines using Sony Connect and you can constantly redownload your music onto all 3 if something ever happends and you forgot to make a backup. If you download a song with unlimited export Redbook burn rights, most likely the 2nd and 3rd machine will have the same license. Just about all music when downloaded onto all 3 machines are able to be export an unlimited amount of times to an OpenMG device, beside music from Warner which the secondary doesn't have any. So only SonicStage can touch OpenMG devices and the music there-in. ACM ATRAC3 file's have WAV headers, SonicStage will play them, but there are no export rights associated.

Just Thought This Could Be Some Help.

Unregistered
07-05-2004, 08:55 AM
I am the same author as the above.

Also, When SonicStage 2.0 is installed, it installs a DirectShow filter which allows Windows Media Player 9.0 to playback ATRAC3 files at least the oma Connect Music Store Files... Also the file extensions of ATRAC3 is *.OMG which are files that are imported/ripped from a CD or other file, and *.OMA which are Connect Music Store files. The two files are not the same in terms of headers, because of the fact that *.OMA require 3 authorized computers for decoding where *.OMG do not require this. Also, ATRAC3/ATRAC3plus *.OMG and *.OMA files can and only can be backed up completely in their entirety. You cannot just take all of you *.OMG and *.OMA files and make a file-by-file backup. You haft to backup your entire music collection using SonicStage Backup, then burn on to a disc and put your music on another computer. NOTE: IF YOU PUT YOUR BACKEDUP ATRAC3'S ON ANOTHER COMPUTER WITH EXISTING *.OMG, and *.OMA MUSIC FILES IT ***WILL*** DELETE/REPLACE YOUR LICENSES/FILES, EVEN PURCHASED ONES. All-in-all I believe Sony took Digital Rights Managment and made it a Artform.

Unregistered
07-06-2004, 01:10 AM

Unregistered
07-06-2004, 05:29 AM
As of July 5, 2004 here for Win98SE, ME, 2000:

http://cdda-sonicstage.connect.com/SonicStageInstaller.exe

and here for WinXP:

http://sonicstage.connect.com/SonicStageInstaller.exe.

The general website is http://www.connect.com. The Sony Connect Music Store is integrated into SonicStage 2.0 (as MusicStore is integrated into iTunes), and SonicStage 2.0 is around 30MB download. SonicStage is a jukebox program w/ CDDB capability and ripping and encoding into ATRAC3 and ATRAC3plus and WAV. SonicStage 2.0 also can import WAV, WMA (unencrypted, No DRM), and MP3 files and will covert them them into the proper ATRAC3 format for the Sony device you own. SonicStage 2.0 for Windows 98SE, Me, and 2000 are in Beta, while XP is stable according to Connect Customer Care. SonicStage 2.0 does not support mp3 encoding from any source, since most Sony devices do not support MP3 playback. Sony's DRM is based around the fact that not all devices support their format, and their the only one's with their format. If everybody under the sun could decode ATRAC3 files w/ OpenMG, there wouldn't be any DRM left. They control the format, thus they control where the format goes. Also, you gotta understand the reason why Sony is controlling this format to this extent. Sony is a record label. Sony has Sony 550, Columbia, and EPIC Records. They don't want you to have the ability to easily give songs out to people, especially theirs.

DeX
07-07-2004, 03:14 AM
Of course, i agree with the unregistered above that sony made an artwork from copyright protection..... but still i wonder WHEN will the atrac3plus technology will be left alone to roam in the open market.
I'm still loking for an answer to trick ANY player to read the files and not the header and the license part. Still do try and keep me up to date if there is any new release by sony or by anyone else.... Cheers! :komisch12

Unregistered
07-07-2004, 08:37 AM
I bought the d-ne711 mainly to play my mp3cds and was didnt know anything about its atrac3 capabilities. I was very happy with the amount of mp3s that i could fit on a cd but i figured i'd try atrac3 anyway just to see what it could do.

I think everyone agrees the simple burner thing is awful, it lacks even the most basic features that you'd expect in a piece of software. An update would definitely be welcome.

I was suprised by the amount of time a full cd took to make but when i thought about it again it wasnt that bad for what was involved. i.e. decodeding 300 mp3s to WAV format and then encoding them in the complex atrac3 format, 5 or 6 hours isnt that long. It would probably take me a lot long to rip 20 albums to mp3.

A 64kps file sounding almost better in some cases than a 128kbs file sounded too good to be true but the quality is amazing.

The only problem was the fact that it was unable to write a number of mp3s. I dont know for sure but i think i read somwhere that this is something to do with a particular mp3 codec. Anyone know which one? Or anything about this?

I was sceptical of surfsecrets claims to be able to encode atrac3/ It seemed to be that if Sony had allowed them the use of the codec then others would have the encoding ability too and my scepticism was proven to be correct as i found when i tried it. Surfsecret cant encode atrac3. It simply does not work.

2$Billie
07-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Maybe it is a stupid idea but maybe you could download a palm os emulator and the audio player for clie which plays atracs too?

Unregistered
07-13-2004, 06:27 AM
Hi I but woman!!!!

I have stupidly just bought a Sony CD Walkman D-NE900 Walkman (I should of known better with past experience of Sony) which plays Atrac is there a way to convert Atrac from Mp3 and save them to my hard drive rather than to a CD. I have had no success with SonicSTage. I have contacted Sony who gave me no assistance at all.

Has anyone in the big wide world out there got any bright ideas????

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Shiney

shiney19@hotmail.com

Unregistered
07-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Didn't you read anything?????!?!?!

Unregistered
07-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Is this a stupid idea?

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5330

TRAFMAN
07-16-2004, 09:30 AM
hi,
i dont have a problem with Atrac 3, but i do with SonicStage (or my net md).

when i record something to minidisk with my microphone (e.g interiews etc) i cannot check them into sonicstage for editing, anyone any ideas?
thanx

Unregistered
07-20-2004, 04:04 PM
sony does not allow the players to transfer to computer with the usb cable. you can use a double ended headphone cord and connect it from the headphone out on the player to the mic in on the computer

Unregistered
07-20-2004, 11:08 PM

i use a D-NE1, wasn't too impressed with Simple Burner... more impressed with SS 2.0.

I'll have to check by first-hand importing, but i suspect that SS 2.0 might actually import VBR MP3's properly for convert to ATRAC (only notable if the bulk of collection is mP3 really).

SS 2.0 also adds burning mp3 & Audio cD's from library stored files (which can be ATRAC OMG's, WAV, WMA or mp3) but having not tested that function, i dont know what filetype restricts apply there.

i'll report back if anything goes postive on the tests, in case it helps towards any efforts to add ATRAC support to DMC, p/b support to DMP.

Part of the installation of ss 2.0 adds, as i recall, a directsound filter for OMG (OpenMG) files - so if any potential exists for utilising a Directsound filter plug-in.. that's another avenue to check..

Unregistered
07-20-2004, 11:09 PM

NOTE MP3 Burner is available only with the version of SS pre-installed on a Sony laptop.

Unregistered
07-20-2004, 11:30 PM
SS 2.0 seems to be a really good tool for creating coasters. Out of 6 write attempts, only 2 have been succesfull. The problems occur when the create CD progress meter reaches 90%. The write light on my CD writer stays on solidly. I've left the system alone for 2 hours once it reaces this stage, and even overnight but it just didn't finish. Anyone with a clue to suggest how to get more consistent results? (I'm on W98 SE).
Also, the s/w refuses to accept CD-RW's. I've re-formattted them (with directCD) to ensure they're empty but they are not accepted - even with directCD then turned off as suggested by Sony. (I have the same problem using iTunes which I downloaded to burn MP3-CD's as SS 2.0 include this capability only on the Sony pre-installed version).

Has anyone ever received a response from Sony support re SS problems?

zeraph
07-21-2004, 05:32 AM
Hello:
i´m cuban, and i have a sony atrac3 plus walkman, but i don´thave the sonic simple burning, in Cuba dont sell this and i want to know where i can download the softw...
Please answer me to zeraph@swissinfo.org

BMW51k
07-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Just do a google search on Sonic Stage download. You'll probably end up at http://www.connect.com/

BMW51k
07-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Hi I but woman!!!!

I have stupidly just bought a Sony CD Walkman D-NE900 Walkman (I should of known better with past experience of Sony) which plays Atrac is there a way to convert Atrac from Mp3 and save them to my hard drive rather than to a CD. I have had no success with SonicSTage. I have contacted Sony who gave me no assistance at all.

Has anyone in the big wide world out there got any bright ideas????

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Shiney

shiney19@hotmail.com

Sonic Stage ver 2.0 does just that - i.e. you can load MP3 tracks into its library - either leaving them as MP3, or converting to Atrac3. Download info in a later query!

BMW51k
07-21-2004, 08:24 PM
SS 2.0 seems to be a really good tool for creating coasters. Out of 6 write attempts, only 2 have been succesfull. The problems occur when the create CD progress meter reaches 90%. The write light on my CD writer stays on solidly. I've left the system alone for 2 hours once it reaces this stage, and even overnight but it just didn't finish. Anyone with a clue to suggest how to get more consistent results? (I'm on W98 SE).
Also, the s/w refuses to accept CD-RW's. I've re-formattted them (with directCD) to ensure they're empty but they are not accepted - even with directCD then turned off as suggested by Sony. (I have the same problem using iTunes which I downloaded to burn MP3-CD's as SS 2.0 include this capability only on the Sony pre-installed version).

Has anyone ever received a response from Sony support re SS problems?

Having struggled with the frustration of SS ver 2.0, and produced many new CD coasters here are some pointers to less unsuccessful AtracCD making: (If only they were explicitly stated in the documentation)……
o If all you’re copying CD’s for is to burn them to an AtracCD, then set the import option to convert to Atrac3plus, 64kbps (or 48kbps for maximum CD capacity). Otherwise you may end up converting them again when transferring to the CD, and use lots of hard disc space.
o The process of transferring tracks/albums from the library to AtracCD is both CPU intensive, and very hungry for memory. So unless you have at least 1Gb of memory, I’d suggest transferring and burning no more than 120ish tracks or 6ish albums at once. i.e. build up the full Atrac CD in separate burn operations. This works fine on my 384Mb PC and I managed to get over 400 tracks on one CD in 4 burn operations. When I tried doing them all in one transfer and burn operation the process took longer – and failed by getting stuck at 90% complete for 2 or more hours, although it would have taken a few more tracks on the CD! But…..
o I think that the track capacity of an AtracCD is reduced by the number of albums and the number of burn operations. I suggest that to maximise the capacity you have as few albums as possible – e.g. if copying a double CD, transfer the first disc, then click on the album in the transfer section so it is highlighted. Then transfer the next disc – it will go onto the end of the first one – giving just one album with both discs in it. You might also, for example, have one album called The Beatles, then transfer all such discs into this album. You can still identify the original album on the AtracCD from the track details,
o Only the copy of SS ver 2.0 pre-installed on a Sony laptop will allow you to create MP3-CD’s (other versions of SS convert MP3’s to Atrac3 or Atrac3plus format when transferring) or to format correctly CD-RW’s for use. To create MP3-CD’s try downloading and using iTunes, and set the import and export options to MP3. (It works in a similar way to SS, but you need to convert to MP3 on the way in). Although MP3-CD’s have lower capacity then Atrac3plus ones, the sacrifice may be worthwhile as they can be played on other than Sony players and on computers. So you’re not stuck with Sony - like when you bought a Betamax VCR!
o Beware that if you have more than one computer each with SS on, you can’t add to an AtracCD created on computer A tracks held on computer B. You have to have the tracks on one computer.
o If you get clicks, pops etc, or if the player cannot read an AtracCD even though the burn seemed to go OK give the CD a polish with a lens cloth. That may well solve the problems. Computers have good error correction capabilities, the player doesn’t seem to match them.
o The recent download version of SS contains access to Connect Music Store where you can buy individual tracks in Atrac format for $0.99. But it’s a USA site which attempts to limit access to only USA based computers. There is a European based version of the store, but it has limited tracks. But again – when you download tracks to computer A, you cannot copy them to computer B and play them.
o I’ve no idea how to get SS (or iTunes) to accept CD-RW’s even though both are supposed to use them, and the player to accept them. Backup is OK with them, but not burning. Anyone out there got any ideas? I’m on W98 SE, with directCD – which I turn off when using SS.

DeX
07-21-2004, 10:53 PM
sonic stage is a lousy software!, i work in the programming business and i seldomly see something worse than this, only windows CD burner :P
when you try to make a cd MAKE SURE that you have 700MB free in docs and settings\username\local settings\app data\
or else it will end in an infinite cicle of erasing files and creating them again.
you also need to have 700 mb free on the drive where you keep the converted filez (it makes a image backup... but it never uses it in case the burning process is a dud).... even if you already have the files compressed it still copies them to "app data".... so it sucks....
And do not try to find new compression methods cause mp3 is great.
try compressing your normel mp3's to mp3 VBR, 48-128kbps, freq 22050 or 24000 (you don't need more cause you only hear from 20-20000hz)
i saved more than 10Gb with the conversion and you can fit almost 200mp3's on 1 cd's, depending on the genere and length... so Fook atrac3+, it sucks :p

BMW51k
07-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Having struggled with the frustration of SS ver 2.0, and produced many new CD coasters here are some pointers to less unsuccessful AtracCD making: (If only they were explicitly stated in the documentation)……
o If all you’re copying CD’s for is to burn them to an AtracCD, then set the import option to convert to Atrac3plus, 64kbps (or 48kbps for maximum CD capacity). Otherwise you may end up converting them again when transferring to the CD, and use lots of hard disc space.
o The process of transferring tracks/albums from the library to AtracCD is both CPU intensive, and very hungry for memory. So unless you have at least 1Gb of memory, I’d suggest transferring and burning no more than 120ish tracks or 6ish albums at once. i.e. build up the full Atrac CD in separate burn operations. This works fine on my 384Mb PC and I managed to get over 400 tracks on one CD in 4 burn operations. When I tried doing them all in one transfer and burn operation the process took longer – and failed by getting stuck at 90% complete for 2 or more hours, although it would have taken a few more tracks on the CD! But…..
o I think that the track capacity of an AtracCD is reduced by the number of albums and the number of burn operations. I suggest that to maximise the capacity you have as few albums as possible – e.g. if copying a double CD, transfer the first disc, then click on the album in the transfer section so it is highlighted. Then transfer the next disc – it will go onto the end of the first one – giving just one album with both discs in it. You might also, for example, have one album called The Beatles, then transfer all such discs into this album. You can still identify the original album on the AtracCD from the track details,
o Only the copy of SS ver 2.0 pre-installed on a Sony laptop will allow you to create MP3-CD’s (other versions of SS convert MP3’s to Atrac3 or Atrac3plus format when transferring) or to format correctly CD-RW’s for use. To create MP3-CD’s try downloading and using iTunes, and set the import and export options to MP3. (It works in a similar way to SS, but you need to convert to MP3 on the way in). Although MP3-CD’s have lower capacity then Atrac3plus ones, the sacrifice may be worthwhile as they can be played on other than Sony players and on computers. So you’re not stuck with Sony - like when you bought a Betamax VCR!
o Beware that if you have more than one computer each with SS on, you can’t add to an AtracCD created on computer A tracks held on computer B. You have to have the tracks on one computer.
o If you get clicks, pops etc, or if the player cannot read an AtracCD even though the burn seemed to go OK give the CD a polish with a lens cloth. That may well solve the problems. Computers have good error correction capabilities, the player doesn’t seem to match them.
o The recent download version of SS contains access to Connect Music Store where you can buy individual tracks in Atrac format for $0.99. But it’s a USA site which attempts to limit access to only USA based computers. There is a European based version of the store, but it has limited tracks. But again – when you download tracks to computer A, you cannot copy them to computer B and play them.
o I’ve no idea how to get SS (or iTunes) to accept CD-RW’s even though both are supposed to use them, and the player to accept them. Backup is OK with them, but not burning. Anyone out there got any ideas? I’m on W98 SE, with directCD – which I turn off when using SS.
All the above is rubbish. It happend to work OK once or twice - and I assumed I'd found "the way". But I've just attempetd to create the first part of a new Atrac3plus CD with just 80 tracks - and my PC has been sitting with the SS progress meter stuck at 90% for over an 90 minutes, and based on the System Monitor - doing barely anything at all, but using all the memory. I'm not far off the point where the cost of wasted CD's and my time fully justifies the extortionate cost of an iPod. DONT BUY SONY ATRAC EQUIPMENT - EVER. IF YOU HAVE TAKE IT BACK AND INSIST ON A REFUND. "THE WAY IS APPLE".

Unregistered
07-25-2004, 11:06 AM
Unlike the quick-win fanatics of the world, i actually got SS SB 1.0AE & SS 2.0 working 100% on all my post Win98 installs.

Like when i make audio CD's (i mostly do analogue rescues for vinyl junkies), simply make your first ATRAC CD on a cd-rw.

Like the tried/tested never-fails CD-R/CD-RW technique of making audio CD's, selecting a burn speed well within the limits of the CD media is a massive help.

1) So, select the low or medium burn option for making ATRAC CD's to CD-RW

2) When the CD-RW proves to be good, which it should do, on the CD deck in question..

3) Copy it to CD-R using a known good package with d-d copying mode.

If you have been given/loaned a ATRAC CD to listen to, and need to copy it - if your proggie (non SS) gives you some message about copy protection, no hassles....

A good cd imager like ISOBuster pro will definately make an image of the ATRAC CD, without hassles, and you can then burn the image using Nero or something good.

It dont solve the xxx --> atrac conversion problem, but it'll help people who are getting mad with bad SS burns :)

Sucess rate, using D-NE1 as playback tester, 100% to date..

As a closing point of interest :-

The ATRAC3 ACM codec - i had this ages back, long before i toyed with the D-NE1, and when i did have the D-NE1 i also had a big list of high & medium compression ATRAC3's with WAV ext.

Well, i imported them via SS 2.0, and converted to same spec ATRAC3, and did some fingerprinting of the decodes of each - and both decodes of each showed the same fingerprint each side, so it's pretty safe to say that SS 2.0 is recognising the ATRAC3 component of the imported WAV's and barely (if at all) doing anything more destructive than simply extracing the ATRAC3 code and rewriting it in the target internal format SS 2.0 uses for storing HDD based ATRAC3/3PLUS encodings..

Just though i'd add those notes to the ongoing list...

I, sadly, cannot do any more D-NE1/ATRAC CD testing as some poor local Sony fanatic made me an offer you canna refuse for my deck... as they aint obtainable round my locale any more (not that they were stocked in any mass amount anyway).

But if i do come up with anything more positive to help out, i'll post some more info...

'Tom Kat' << aka FlameGrilled @ MisticRiver

Unregistered
07-25-2004, 11:14 AM
With the Connect service in SonicStage 2.0, you do have the abiltiy to download your purchased music and unlimited amount of times on any 3 machines at any given time. Sony had to do that because you haft to have 3 different licenses generated on the 3 authorized machines for your purchased music. If the music you purchased has 0 ATRAC3 burn rights, but unlimited Audio CD (Redbook) then those rights carry over to all 3 machines aswell as the unlimited OpenMG device export rights. If your music only allows 5 exports of ATRAC3 burns and 5 exports of Audio CD, then that license is only available on the original machine it was downloaded to.

Note: ALL songs in Connect allow unlimited OpenMG device exporting, on ALL 3 AUTHORIZED machines, EXCEPT music purchased from the WARNER MUSIC GROUP which is LIMITED TO 3 OpenMG exports. Music purchased from the WARNER MUSIC GROUP can ONLY be exported from the original machine you purchased the song from.

Sony ATRAC3/ATRAC3plus Compact Disc (CD) players do not count as OpenMG compatible devices.

When I refer to "OpenMG Devices" I am referring to Sony's CLIE PDA's, Sony's Network Walkman's, Sony's Net-MiniDisc Walkman's and Sony's Hi-MiniDisc Walkman's.

Unregistered
07-25-2004, 07:24 PM
To re-download to an authorized machine in SonicStage 2.0, go to the Connect Music Store front through the "Music Source" tab. Click on "Log-In" in the top right corner. Enter your e-mail address and password and click "Login". Then you will be forwarded right back to the Connect homepage. Up in the top-right corner again, click on the text stating "Account". Then it will display a page named "Your Account". You should have 5 different boxes below. Under the box labeled "Purchased Music" there will be text stating "View and download your purchased music". It will then present a window titled "Purchased Music". Connect will only show 5 songs at a time if you've purchased 31, like I have. There will be check box's to the left of each song. Select/check the music you wish to either re-download or restore (there's no difference). Then click the orange button on the lower right area labeled "Download Checked Music". If you don't see all 6+ songs you've purchased, look down on the lower left part of the pages stating "results pages:" and there will be numbers to click on to access the rest of your purchased music. Mine has 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.

Note: I'm giving up Roxio's Napster 2.5 (145 purchases) for the Connect service because I don't care for the WMA format and iTunes purchased music seems to only be able to go to 1 device, which I did not care to buy (price issue) nor was the design ever really appealing to me. ATRAC3, to me, honestly sounds better than AAC. My entire CD collection is in the none restrictive OpenMG ATRAC3 (not ATRAC3plus) format within SonicStage. Net-MD/HI-MD FOREVER!!!!!!

Unregistered
07-26-2004, 11:15 AM
.atp

Unregistered
07-30-2004, 12:33 AM
i found a way around the freekin copywrite, drag your mp3's onto your minidisk in window explorer, that way they stay mp3 and will still play, it works for me, even though i can only fit 3/4th of what i used to be able to on a minidisc.

Hangman
07-30-2004, 09:40 AM
DeX, I think you are half right.
First of all the codec is a ATRAC DEcoder. (Link says encoder, but software says decoder).
No good for ENcoding.
I think the encoder can be downloaded at
http://www.minidisc.org/atrac3.zip

I am not sure if you have to download both encoder and decoder, but I did.

The installation details are a little non-intuitive for the decoder.

"Windows users can download this ATRAC3.zip file, unpack it into a new folder, then right click on the atrac3.inf file and choose "Install". This loads an ATRAC3 codec (.acm file) into the system so that .wav files containing ATRAC3 audio can be played (and recorded!) with your normal system tools"

See this FAQ: http://www.minidisc.org/mdlpfaq.html*_q73 about half way down for more info.

Anyway, then start Audiograbber (I used version 1.83), select "Settings"->"MP3 settings" and select the "ATRAC 3 Audio Codec" from the listbox under Internal Encoder. Select what ever bitrate with the other listbox.

FYI I am running XP-Home edition.

The file is encoded, and can be played back in windows media player.
If you read the above FAQ, you will notice that the file is encoded with a WAV extension. If seems like you cant change the extension to .OMG or whatever Sony calls its files, the file header is different. But the file seems to be encoded in ATRAC alright, an examination of the file properties indicate that it has been encoded into ATRAC, and the size is much much smaller than a regular WAV file. It even sounds like music played on a MD!

If anybody tried this, and transfers their files to a ATRAC compatible player successfully, let us know!
Cheers!

Flash news ppl: i took me sum time :rolleyes: but I FINALLY GOT THE SOLUTION:
you can encode AND read atrac3 files, and even turn them into mp3 or sumthing else.

http://www.my-minidisc.com/index.php?language=en&action=download_en.html (thnx to Vincent)

unfortunatley dMC has a bug, it makes waves of 30mb when the file should normaly be of MAX 4-5mb

The player doesn't know how to read this file whatever the extension is (mp3,wav,atp,omg) i don't know if crappystage knows how to read this file and convert it but in any case the god thing is that you can now transform atrac3<-->mp3<-->wma and so on, and of course save a lot of disk space.

What really want to see is THIS codec added to the "codec central" and the dMC working perfectly converting with it!!!!!!!
but his still doesn't solve the need for a player that will play *.omg files, i don't think there will ever be one because the damn files are cpoyrighted so even if you have the codec for them you can't play them...

if you find anything new plz let me know drag05h@yahoo.com
Cheers to all the audio maniacs here :komisch12

Unregistered
08-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Am more than desperate to convert my 100 or so albums in sonicstages .omg format to the more universally supported .mp3 without having to recompress all of my Cds. Anyone know of any software i can download that would facilitate this?

DeX
08-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Am more than desperate to convert my 100 or so albums in sonicstages .omg format to the more universally supported .mp3 without having to recompress all of my Cds. Anyone know of any software i can download that would facilitate this?
Man have your read this forum at all?????????
You can't. You just simply can't do that...... i mean like this forum debated this question on almost every page..... :yawn:

Unregistered
08-06-2004, 06:06 AM
Hey Im not sure if this has been covered, but SS wont let me burn a file twice, once I burn it once it says it cannot transfer the copyright info, is there a solution to this besides having to re-download my mp3s? Ive been reading the forum and I havent noticed anything about this topic, but please help me if you can.

ChristinaS
08-06-2004, 06:12 AM
When all else fails, use dMC Auxiliary Input to record the file to another unprotected format. http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5362

Unregistered
08-09-2004, 10:39 PM
maybe at www.openmg.com: they offer the source codes of sony's openMG project wish uses atrac3/atrac+. It is some source for linux, but i don't have the time to check what it is, as the site is being updated.

Unregistered
08-13-2004, 02:53 AM

Unregistered.ro
08-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Have you ever tried to play *.omg files with Windows Media Player 9 Series on Windows XP?

BMW51k
08-18-2004, 01:56 AM
Can you tell me what s/w you use to format your CD-RW's before using them with SS. I use directCD but SS (and also iTunes) does not recognise them for transfer.
If I should use CD-RW's with SS unformatted (i.e. straight out of the wrapper) - how do I then delete the data so I can re-write to them with SS?
Is there anyway to re-set a directCD formatted disc to be used by SS?

Princess
08-18-2004, 02:57 PM
...........and now for a followup. I was obviously a bit hasty with my post above. Now I've lived with the player for a few weeks I've got to say that the ATRAC3plus encoding is very disappointing! 80% of tracks will sounds good. 20% are just unlistenable. On these tracks it seems to totally screw up something in the rhythm section and produces a noise sounding something like two coconut shell halves being clapped together! This sound certainly isn't in the original recording! Sorry Sony, ATRAC3plus is NOT the way to go if you want good quality reproduction. (BTW this is at 64Kbit/sec)
My advice it to stick to MP3 at between 128 and 196Kbit/sec and just live with having less tunes per CD.

I also now have to agree with the comments on Sonic stage simple burner. TOTAL RUBBISH! If you have to rip MP3's to fill an ATRAC3plus disk make sure you've got the WHOLE afternoon to do it. It's SLOW!

On a postive note the D-NE1 itself is still a brilliant disc player!

Rob.

Hey Rob What are doing about converting ur atrac cds to mp3's? I need to do tht too coz my atrac simple burner gives me an error, I cant seem to get it going. Plz show me a way to convert atrac to mp3. Thnx.
nchantingprincess@sbcglobal.net

shahram_s_sh
08-21-2004, 11:04 AM
hi

i have a atrac3 codec and i can mail it to you.

bye.

Unregistered
08-24-2004, 11:25 AM
so my friend gave me a cd burned with the Sonic ATRAC stuff what do i need to do in order to listen to the songs on winamp. If you guys have alredy gone over it please repeat it, im to dumb to recognise it and would appreaciate the help
Thanx a lot
The coolest cat on capitol hill

xoas
08-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Apparently the Liquid Audio plugin for WinAmp will allow you to listen to Atrac files. You can find it here:
http://winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=50864
(courtesy of Web Power, post *67, page 5 of this thread).
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Unregistered
08-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Automatic Volume Limiting System

So the second part of the question was... how do you turn it off? I lost my user manuel... and listen to books on tape but it won't allow me to turn them up loud enough to hear them...

Unregistered
09-01-2004, 12:22 AM
There are 3 programs used here, Simple Burner (http://www.my-minidisc.de/download/tools_simpleburner.zip), M3U2SBurner (http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/paolose/M3U2SB_108a.zip), and Nero.

Basically, ya install simple burner and your Drivers (http://www.minidisct.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19305&highlight=simple+burner+download) (I dunno what player you have, but there are links at that page), install the M3U2SB program, and Nero (with ImageDrive). Basically what happens, is the M3U.. u select the files u wanna burn, and then it makes them into a cd image, and then burns them with simple burner (its all automated)...

You could also try using OpenMG (which is at that Drivers page I gave you)

If you need better instructions, dig http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/paolose/instructions.htm

* edit - I know your pain with Sonic Stage -- Sony's programs tend to fcuk your computer up if u change something as drastic as a rollback, or install them incorrectly... if you email sony tech support, they'll send u a program that will completely uninstall sonic stage (for some reason, uninstall doesnt uninstall, apparently u gotta do somethin drastic -- I had this problem with my Clie software, my dad installed it wrong on his PC, wouldnt work)... umm.. hehe

Princess
09-03-2004, 04:59 AM
Hi all, can someone help me get my simple burner software working? I get this msg saying "An Error Has Occured While Creating This Image" when trying to burn Cds in Atrac.

doksik
09-04-2004, 01:58 AM
hey all, i can play atrac3 music on mobile phone but havet tried yet as i havent found a mp3 - atrac converter. also does anybody know if the files have to go into a certain folder on the mem card for phones? p.s im in japan

Unregistered
09-04-2004, 10:50 PM
Hi everybody
I just bought a new Sony Md which uses the MG technology and that Sonic Stage software that everybody seem to hate.
I didn't install the software yet, because I have some questions about its features that gives me some doubts.

An important premise: I need the MD both for work (I'm a journalist and I wish to save the interwies I make on my PC) and for leisure (want to use it as a Walkman using the Discs as I used K7s once: erasing the compilation once I'm tired of it, instead of accumulating plastic)

-Is it or possible to convert an mp3/wav to atrac, so that I can listen them on my MD? (or I can rip audio ONLY from a CD and with the awful "only three times" restrictions?)

-Is it possible therefore to convert Atrac3 to Mp3/Wav so that I can save my own recorded stuf on PC (Of course I know I can do it in "real time" recording as I did with cassettes...but...)

-Will "Sonic Stage" rip a burnt CD or it's possible to upload to MD only originals?

Thanks a lot guys!

I don't know if I may find the answer to this questions in the previous pages (couldn't read every single thread out of 13 pages!) if so, please lead me to the right thread.

Samus
09-05-2004, 09:16 AM
ATRAC3 & ATRAC3Plus are probably the best audio formats to use with portable device. It would be great if you could include the Decoder and the Encoder of these formats. Thus, it would allow us not to continue to use SonicStage any more.

Thanks

DeeZi
09-05-2004, 07:49 PM
That's not true.

ATRAC3 and ATRAC3plus belong to the worst audio formats ever.

Look at the hydrogenaudio.org listening tests.

ATRAC3 @ 132kbps
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21904

ATRC3plus @ 256kbps vs. Lame --aps, Ogg Vorbis MMix II -q6, MPC -insane !
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=26976&hl=

Unregistered
09-07-2004, 02:50 AM

JC1
09-07-2004, 02:53 AM
I didn't think there would be a thread for this codec but I'm glad there is one! Seems like a lot of people have the same problem. I also use ATRAC not only for the lossless encoding at a small size but also for the VAIO Media Network Filesharing program. In order to use this program, you have to have a SonicStage Library filled with ATRAC or ATRACplus. However I also need a converter because I have an Mp3 Player that doesn't do ATRAC. :( Hope somebody finally comes out with one!!!!!!

JC

P.S: Those of you looking to rip CDs in ATRAC format you can download Sony's player on their website, www.connect.com

Unregistered
09-09-2004, 02:12 AM
I just bought a sony atrac3plus cd player with sonicstage. I had a whole bunch of songs on my computer, some were ripped from windows media player and others were downloaded from kazaa.

When I first tried to make an atrac cd it started and kept stopping while writing the cd image, so it never burned or transfered songs on to the cd. I shut it down. Now whenever I try to put songs from my library to the transfer list it tells me that the remaining transfer count is zero. I have never transferred these songs. The technical support people told me that .wma format is not compatible with sonicstage, but the mp3 files dont work either. Does this have something to do with copyright? And is there anyway to get around it? Also, is it possible to convert wma to mp3?

If anyone has experienced this or knows what is going on, please help me!
Thank you

-Trey

Unregistered
09-09-2004, 10:57 AM
This makes me mad. I saved all of my music onto a cd in atrac3 format and cant get it back to mp3 so that i can make an audio cd of whats on the other cd. And the original computer i used crashed. So am i out of luck or what?

xoas
09-09-2004, 11:47 AM
I saved all of my music onto a cd in atrac3 format and cant get it back to mp3 so that i can make an audio cd of whats on the other cd.
This is exactly why ATRAC is not a good choice for storage. This trait is shared by other formats that are heavily proprietary or which undertake various DRM measures to hinder file conversion, so I am not talking only about ATRAC here. Regardless of how much you like ATRAC for compression, if you store music in ATRAC you have to be prepared to have software or hardware to play ATRAC when you need to access those saved files or you've got a problem. Suppose I had saved all my music on 8 track audiotapes back in the 80's (or was it the 70's, at my age they tend to blend together). Where would that music be now?

End of rant.

So am i out of luck or what?
No, you are not out of luck. WinAmp has a plug-in that will allow you to listen to ATRAC here:http://winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=50864
You may then be able to use the dBpowerAMP Music Converter's WinAmp Input Adapter codec to convert to mp3. Alternately, you could use WinAmp to play your ATRAC files and record them off of your sound card using dMC Auxilary Input.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Unregistered
09-10-2004, 11:26 AM
What does AVLS mean? How can I get it to stop prohibiting me from turning up my volume?
go to this site and it will tell you how to turn that awful avls thing off...

media-server.amazon.com/media/mole/MANUAL000015881.pdf

Unregistered
09-10-2004, 07:10 PM
To everyone suggesting the Winamp LiquidAudio plugin as an alternative, it does NOT work. I wish Nullsoft would change that summary. OMG, OMA, and ATP files are wrapped in completely different headers, than any player can playback/decode. Only SonicStage knows how to decode these headers. SonicStage is the only program that know's where and how to find the audio stream in OMG/OMA files. Plus, the headers of the files then tell SonicStage to go look for my license the I came with, if it is found the file is played, if it doesn't find the license it is not played. LiquidAudio, licensed some of the principals found in the ATRAC3 format from Sony and Dolby, and embedded them into their own proprietary *.LQT (AAC with DRM header) DRM format that they used to sale music in, 1 1/2 years ago (which I severely miss). The reports of SonicStage crashing when burning ATRAC3 CD's are most likely because the headers/data stream are being converted from OMG/OMA into ATP in an all inclusive burn image, then transferred to CD. (It's not burning on the fly, file-by-file directly to CD. It's creating a CD image to burn, after converting the headers). ATP files cannot be transferred back to anyones' computer and be decoded, because nobody knows the headers for this format, only Sony, thus only Sony (and AIWA, a subsidary of Sony) know how to decode and they embed this decoding only into the CD players.

To ANYONE NOT understanding what HEADERS are, here's an general everyday example. You pick up a book that starts out as English, then while you begin turning the pages the language immediatly turns into Chinese. You don't know how to read Chinese, thus you go find someone that does, but you may only know 1 person that can read Chinese text. Well that 1 person is SonicStage, and that 1 book is an OMG, OMA, or OMG ATRAC3 music file. This same rule applies for DRM'ed WMA files, *.RAX RealMusic Store files, and *.M4P iTunes files. WMA DRM'ed files can be played back on just about every single software jukebox, because Microsoft allows usage of their "langauge" to all who pay, but these jukebox's must follow the usage rules of this format. All jukebox's could playback OMG, OMA files if they paid Sony royalties for the decoding (reading) of them.

Unregistered
09-19-2004, 07:38 AM
Hi,

Here's how I convert my mp3s to ATRAC3 using Sony sonicstage. First convert the mp3s to CD quality .wav files (dBpower amp perfect for this).

I kept trying to get S ss to "check out" mp3s and the program would either report an error - or just crash.

Converting your mp3s to CD quality wavs presumably makes them equivalent to CDa files - which is what the program is designed to convert. Anyway once your mp3s are wavs, everything works fine. You can even choose between MDLP 2 and 4 (go to options in menu, cd recording, click on netmd and then settings).

I agree with all posts about storage - always store as mp3s, not ATRAC3. I only do above to get files on my netMD

Princess
09-19-2004, 08:02 AM
Hi
I came across this message here in the forum saying that liqiud audio plugin and WinAmp does the job to convert Atrack to Mp3. Plz let me know how to go about it, as I have downloaded both. I dont see how these two go together! Iam desperately looking out a way to convert my Atrac CD's to Mp3. Thanks.

xoas
09-19-2004, 09:46 AM
There appears to be some disagreement as to whether this is possible or not (see, for example, the first sentence of the first post-*196-at the top of this page.

On the other hand we have this post from Dex (who has put a lot of time and effort into this quest):

Flash news ppl: i took me sum time but I FINALLY GOT THE SOLUTION:

http://www.my-minidisc.com/index.ph...ownload_en.html (thnx to Vincent)

(Post *133, page 9 of this thread).

It had been reported that with WinAmp, the WinAmp LiquidAudio plug-in, the dMC WinAmp Input Adapter (from Codec Central) and dMC that this same conversion is possible but Dex has apparently had a negative experience with this process and he's done the field work so I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Otherwise, you can always try Sonic Stage, the one program which has apparently been authorized to convert Atrac. To pursue this this line of attack you can try these links (from post *147, p10 of this thread):

Sonic Stage:
As of July 5, 2004 here for Win98SE, ME, 2000:

http://cdda-sonicstage.connect.com/...geInstaller.exe

and here for WinXP:

http://sonicstage.connect.com/SonicStageInstaller.exe.

The general website is http://www.connect.com

You would be doing a great sservice if you let us know your results.
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

BMW51k
09-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Hi,

Here's how I convert my mp3s to ATRAC3 using Sony sonicstage. First convert the mp3s to CD quality .wav files (dBpower amp perfect for this).

I kept trying to get S ss to "check out" mp3s and the program would either report an error - or just crash.

Converting your mp3s to CD quality wavs presumably makes them equivalent to CDa files - which is what the program is designed to convert. Anyway once your mp3s are wavs, everything works fine. You can even choose between MDLP 2 and 4 (go to options in menu, cd recording, click on netmd and then settings).

I agree with all posts about storage - always store as mp3s, not ATRAC3. I only do above to get files on my netMD
What a complex way to go about it!
You can import MP3 files to the SS library, and they remain as MP3, but with only a pointer to them if already on your hard disk somewhere. You can convert them to Atrac in the library if you want to - but why bother, apart from the fact that it makes the burn process quicker? (When you do convert while importing both formats are kept in the library if the original is on your hard drive - but you have to look at a track's properties to find this out. It's under File Info. This is described in the HELP text!).
When you burn an ATRAC format CD, SS will convert the tracks to ATRAC3 as part of the burn process, but the library copy remains untouched.
What SS will not do is convert Atrac format to anything else. (I don't understand the complexities of any of the suggestions in this forum on how to do that - I'm not sufficiently deeply technically literate. LiquidAudio does not work - it blows my W2000 based PC. How do you link it to WinAmp?).
If you have the Sony computer pre-installed version of SS - it will burn an MP3 format CD, although I suspect it will not convert Atrac to MP3 - though I may be wrong. Even if it does convert, that's not a good reason to buy a Sony PC, there's other free software which will burn MP3 CD's - such as iTunes!

HELP ME!!
09-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Hey all i read all the posts until page 7 when i got bored lol n it seems every1 is saying the opposite of what im about to say... I lost my cd that installed Simpl Stage Sonic Burner onto my comp for use with my CD player (not mini disc) and i cant find a copy of the prgram anywhere do ne of u kno how i could get it or could u send it to me somehow? email me at rockergurl150(deletethispart)@yahoo.com plz and thank you!!!

xoas
09-24-2004, 07:17 PM
Check post 199 of this thread (the second post above yours, the third above this).

Help Me!!!
09-25-2004, 09:14 AM
I need the simple burner not sonic stage where can i get it? thx!

p.s. - I tried the stuff in post *199 it didnt help i already had that stuff thx tho

xoas
09-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Ok...try this link:
http://www.my-minidisc.de/download/tools_simpleburner.zip

which I found here:
http://forums.designtechnica.com/showthread.php?threadid=4148

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Help me!!!
09-26-2004, 06:06 PM
If i get the NetMD Simple burner will that still work for burning cds?

xoas
09-26-2004, 10:49 PM
No. According to the Sony Website, there are 2 different versions of Simple Burner: NetMD Simple Burner for burning minidiscs in Atrac3/Atrac3plus format and SonicStage Simple Burner for burning regular cdr/rw discs in Atrac3/Atrac3plus format.
Sony Simple Burner 1.1 FAQ (http://kb.sony-europe.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=9,E=0000000000008743611,K=4461,Sxi=14,Question 765=obj(765):obj(2820))
Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

xoas
09-27-2004, 10:14 AM
In case the link I gave for Simple Burner turns out to be for the NetMD version, try the Sonic Stage link. It should still allow you to burn Atrac3/Atrac3plus cd's.

Unregistered
09-27-2004, 01:06 PM
RealPlayer solves the three checkout limit and the mp3 to atrac problem (you dont need to convert the file on the hdd - it automatically does it when transferring then deletes the *.omg file). Works with all netMD and Network walkman models from Sony.

Unregistered
09-30-2004, 09:06 AM
I need the simple burner not sonic stage where can i get it? thx!

p.s. - I tried the stuff in post *199 it didnt help i already had that stuff thx tho

As far as I know there is no free download on web for Sonic Stage Simple Burner, you ger the software when you buy the Sony Cd player.

Unregistered
09-30-2004, 10:09 AM
Hey,
i wanna make a new mix for myself but the program doesnt allow me due to a transfer count how can i fix this problem???
plz answer thanx a lot

Unregistered
09-30-2004, 05:15 PM
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Sony_ATRAC3_Audio_Codec.htm

thats a link to a Atrac 3 Codec for your computer but I am not sure if it could work or run for dmc or dap

Unregistered
09-30-2004, 05:56 PM
http://www.free-codecs.com/download...Audio_Codec.htm

thats a link to a Atrac 3 Codec for your computer but I am not sure if it could work or run for dmc or dap

Unregistered
10-03-2004, 03:49 PM
SonicStage 2.2 was release from http://www.connect.com. It allows 7 playlist CD burns, like MSN Music, MusicMatch, RealPlayer 10.5, and iTunes and now you can authorize/de-authorize 5 machines.

Hello...to everybody experiment with the format. I have therally explained everything begging with I wish Nullsoft would remove the LiquidAudio plugin, cause you all seem to be under the impression that it support ATRAC3 files. It doesn't, I have tried. I said they license's some technologies from Sony and Dolby Labs...

It's another language only Sony knows.....

Unregistered
10-04-2004, 05:04 PM
SonicStage doesnt let me creat a new mix from my music due to transfer count zero, how can i fix this problem?? Thanx a lot!

unregistered
10-04-2004, 05:52 PM
When I create atrac3plus CDs with Sonicstage I notice atp (something.atp) are present in the temporary folder used by Sonicstage.
That atp files have theregood names and not hexadecimal names like onod the CD.
At this step atp files are complete, I mean there tags are embedded and not regrouped in files like onto the CD.

I think that is the good step to take the atp files.
If you edit them it's possible to read tags in them.
The problem is to find an codec to play atp files on PC.

Unregistered
10-04-2004, 06:37 PM
http://www.connect.com/download_mp3Conv.html

MP3 Converter anyone?

Unregistered
10-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Thanks but that program convert mp3 to attrac3.

It doesn't allow to play attrac3plus (atp) files on PC.

Unregistered
10-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Maybe we don't understand the concept. Okay, here goes. Sony is the only company that knows how to read the *.ATP headers on an ATRAC3 CD. Thus, there is no way around this, unless you know alot of sh*** and work for Sonys' Open MagicGate division you are screwed. Please actually use SonicStage 2.2 legitimately and you might be suprised. You all now have 7 playlist Audio CD burns within SonicStage 2.2. Burn And Re-Rip. If you e-mail Sony Connect about 14 times, they may just fight the labels to the bitter end in order to allow 7 playlist ATRAC3 CD burns from Connect. The point that Sony is trying to make is "You actually haft to have the original content on your machine to begin with, then you go from there, not the other way around." I for one actually like Sony Connect now. They allow you to download your songs and unlimited amount of times to any of the 5 AUTHORIZED machines. Just about unlimited exportation to Sony's 30 OpenMG compatible devices, except for Warner content which is 3, but they could change this @ some point in time. I bought a Hi-MD from Fry's and I love having 1GB Mini-Disk media.

SonicStage 2.2......Rulez!!!! Better than iTunes @ least, but they're still not quite finish. ATRAC3 and OpenMG exportation license's are still reset upon downloading. And ATRAC3 CD Burns and Warner Export's are only allowed on the primary machine for the time being...but this could change.

Unregistered
10-06-2004, 11:17 AM

MP3 Converter anyone?

Hello.

I've just bought an MZ-N10 and this only plays ATRAC3, is it possible to download ATRAC3Plus and sent it to my MD PLayer through the PC - MD cable.

Thanks

Unregistered
10-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Yes, SonicStage will allow you to move ATRAC files from your PC to the MD. However, there is Digital Rights Management built-in, and that might be a problem for you. The files are basically not allowed to leave the PC they are sourced to, except on an MD, and then they cannot be moved to another PC or device, only to the original. Really locked down. If I had known this first, I would not have purchased MD format recording device.

Unregistered
10-11-2004, 03:38 PM
I'VE FOUND THE ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.marcnetsystem.co.uk/himdrenderer010.zip

Joseph
10-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Tested, Works! Go with it!

Unregistered
10-11-2004, 05:27 PM
SonicStage is well crap.

How the hell do I create a ATRAC3 file with at bit rate of at least 256kbps that sonic stage will allow to transfer to by netMD?

Has anyone created better software yet??

HELP!!!

Unregistered
10-11-2004, 05:30 PM
hi , im havin a problem i think is slightly related to this link

i cant put VBR files on my net md

im using sonic sstage 1.5 and i just get an error during conversion.

i cant be bothered to convert 80 gig of VBR into CBR, does any1 know if theres a fix for this problem ?

cheers

Unregistered
10-11-2004, 06:38 PM
I'VE FOUND THE ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.marcnetsystem.co.uk/himdrenderer010.zip

Okay..call me an idiot, but how does that thing work? I'm trying to convert a live show I recorded into any way shape or form of shareable media, or even just more easilly readable media (since my SonicStage refuses to play files for some odd reason...)

But I tell it the file to convert and it just starts screwing up.

What's it trying to convert the files to?

How do I make it convert?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

Unregistered
10-11-2004, 11:33 PM
It converts ATRAC3 and ATRAC3Plus files into Wav files which can be converted into anything using dBpowerAMP Music Converter

Unregistered
10-13-2004, 12:39 PM
but how does it works?
I always get the faild "faile to connect source filter (omg.src) to dest filter (omg.transform)" or "Failed to dirictly source filter....)

Have anyone the same problem?

xoas
10-14-2004, 06:34 AM
[/QUOTE]but how does it works?[QUOTE]

You might try checking this out from the author. The information there might help you understand what you need (SonicStage 2.2) to run this program and how to run the program: http://forums.minidisc.org/viewtopic.php?t=6087

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Unregistered
10-15-2004, 01:06 AM
isnt tehre a way to convert .ATP to something else? Ive got a few songs only on my atrac cd and want to convert it to diff file.

Any solution to it?

Unregistered
10-15-2004, 09:03 AM
I'm fortunate to know someone at Sony who has access to the Atrac codecs (sorry...I asked for 'em and he wouldn't give em to me :D ), and they're pretty good if you tweak them up to a higher bitrate. 128 Kbps sounds like CD-quality, even on my friend's $400 a pop speakers. The only problem...is that tweaking it is damn hard with that DAMN SIMPLEBURNER program!

Tut tut sounds like you are talking bullshit to me, again?:

a: Sonicstage two allows 256 kbs with ATRAC3plus also ATRAC3 standard goes to 132kbps so why the 128

b: yo can download the codecs fom here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Sony_ATRAC3_Audio_Codec.htm

Next time you try to impress people try to use stink proof bullshit!

Roger
Sony UK digital sound programmer (MD/CD/HD Walkman division)

Unregistered
10-15-2004, 09:05 AM
<b><bullshit>I'm fortunate to know someone at Sony who has access to the Atrac codecs (sorry...I asked for 'em and he wouldn't give em to me :D ), and they're pretty good if you tweak them up to a higher bitrate. 128 Kbps sounds like CD-quality, even on my friend's $400 a pop speakers. The only problem...is that tweaking it is damn hard with that DAMN SIMPLEBURNER program!</b></bullshit>

Tut tut sounds like you are talking bullshit to me, again?:

a: Sonicstage two allows 256 kbs with ATRAC3plus also ATRAC3 standard goes to 132kbps so why the 128

b: You can download the codecs fom here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Sony_ATRAC3_Audio_Codec.htm. So no need to ask a so called Sony buddy eh?!?!

Next time you try to 'impress' people try to use stink proof bullshit!

Roger
Sony UK digital sound programmer (MD/CD/HD Walkman division)

xoas
10-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Thank you, Roger, for the information about the Atrac3 codec.
Since the link is not informative on this topic, it would be even more helpful if we knew what program(s) this codec will work with and whether this codec will decode, encode or perform both functions with Atrac3 files.
As to your other issues, it seems to me that with a thread with the extraordinary number of posts (and pages) to this thread that if, as it seems, you are quoting and replying to an earlier post in this thread, it might be helpful if you could cite the original source for the quote, otherwise it is not clear at all whom you are responding to and you give the impression of being spontaneously rude to the world at large. It would be very unfortunate for this thread to degenerate into a cursing match, nor do I think we will allow it to do so.

Unregistered
10-16-2004, 12:18 AM
Hmmk. So from reading this topic I get the impression that there is absolutely no way to play the ATP files on your computer? AM I correct or just super stupidly confused?

nabily2k
10-22-2004, 12:31 PM
can anybody tell me if Atrac3 & AC3 is the same file format?
what about AAC format?

thanx.

xoas
10-22-2004, 12:54 PM
can anybody tell me if Atrac3 & AC3 is the same file format?
what about AAC format?
All 3 are different.

Best wishes,
Bill Mikkelsen

Unregistered
10-27-2004, 03:32 PM
try
for a simple converter from Sony
(cheap sonic stage)
BTW, sonic stage sucks.

Unregistered
10-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Hi Guys, Just got the new NW-HD1. Brilliant. Only one problem, the tracks have to be in ATRAC3 or ATRAC3plus format. DOH!!

I use Windows Media player 10 for playing my mp3's, as it its so easy to use.

I tried using the sonic stage software 2.2, but found it to be confusing and slow, and there is no way to monitor music folders for new songs.

I just want to use Windows Media Center 10, because it has a simple drag and drop feature from the music library, and can monitor folders for new songs.

Can anybody tell me if there is some sort of mp3, wma > Atrac3, Atrac3plus converter for windows media player 10?

Would a codec do the trick?

Unregistered
10-29-2004, 06:13 AM
you can download a codec for media player just search on google for ATRAC3 codecs, the only thing is when you play the tracks you have to add them to the play list cd by cd if you store them in different folders. this doesn't actually conver anything just let u play.

Celtic friend
10-29-2004, 10:30 AM
Yesterday I bought a Sony CD walkman portable player, and with it comes a thing called Atrac3 plus.
With software Sony provides it enables you to put 30 CDs on one disc with little loss of quality.
I have failed to get it to work, what I can't get it to do is copy my CD too my hard disk, its then that it compresses the files to enable so many to go on one disk, I think.
Soon as I click on record, up comes the message programme as to close do you want to send message to microsoft.
I have uninstalled Nero thinking there might be a conflict, no good.
As anyone had a go at doing this and succeeded?
I do hope someone as, thanks in advance.
I have updated software to latest version.

Unregistered
10-30-2004, 10:16 AM
i think you have a computer problem, try and reinstall the SonicStage software then try again, it should work.

Unregistered
11-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Ok. I have read through this whole topic twice, and all the information is just contradicting itself. So I have 3 questions.

1) Can you play .ATP files using Sonic Stage?
2) If so, HOW do you get it to play them because I can't get it to do that. (Yes I have the bloody codec)
3) If not, is there ANYTHING that will play them, convert them to another file, etc?

I'd really like to get these songs back, burning them to an MP3 CD was my worst mistake ever, because they are of no use to me if I cannot play them on my computer (my MP3 player is broken).
Some comprehensive help would be really great here. :)

Unregistered
11-04-2004, 07:34 AM
i'm afraiad your out of luck. the only thing that will play the .ATP files is a Sony ATRAC3 Discman. and the only way to get you music back is to record it through line out, in real time.

Unregistered
11-05-2004, 02:38 AM
I have some recordings of my group made with a MD using a microphone.
I didn't find the way to transfer it on my PC. Does someone know if now it is possible or Sony still denies this opportunity?
Sorry for my bad English, Thanks to anyone who wants to reply.

Unregistered
11-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Me too. Another customer here who bought a sony MD for recording things with, on the crazy assumption that it actually works.

For me it's even worse though; I can't use Sonicstage. Because I have a Japanese MD and an English windows. Japanese Sonicstage refuses to run on English windows. English Sonicstage refuses to work with Japanese MD. Great.

I can access it as a removeable drive, though, and pull HMA files off it. Can I do anything with these? Or have sony sold me a totally useless piece of junk? Sony won't help me at all, of course. They basically just said, "Yes, it doesn't work. Thank you for purchasing Sony product."

Raz
11-13-2004, 06:18 PM
Yesterday I bought a Sony CD walkman portable player, and with it comes a thing called Atrac3 plus.
With software Sony provides it enables you to put 30 CDs on one disc with little loss of quality.
I have failed to get it to work, what I can't get it to do is copy my CD too my hard disk, its then that it compresses the files to enable so many to go on one disk, I think.
Soon as I click on record, up comes the message programme as to close do you want to send message to microsoft.
I have uninstalled Nero thinking there might be a conflict, no good.
As anyone had a go at doing this and succeeded?
I do hope someone as, thanks in advance.
I have updated software to latest version.
This is a bug of Sony and one of the MS security patchs. There is a fix for it. go to http://www.openmg.com/support/en/840987/index.html for details.

Raz

Unregistered
11-16-2004, 05:45 PM
Hi to all! firstly sorry for my english because I'm spanish. Well, I have the same problem that somebody have. I can't transfer the MD recordings to my hard disk. I told the problem to sony and they answered me that I must reinstall sany stage... miss I tryed more things, and i wrote another time to sony. They said me that it's only posible t transfer with a hi-md disk. I tryed but it's imposible, but, with this disk it's posible to transfer the HMA extension files to my hard-disk. It's posible to converd (encode) de HMA files to atrac3 or mp3...? Thank you to read my reply ;)

Unregistered
11-16-2004, 05:59 PM
hi. can you tell me what program or software you are using for moveing files between pc and md. how i can convert mp3 for atrac3 plus? help me please

xoas
11-16-2004, 07:53 PM
hi. can you tell me what program or software you are using for moveing files between pc and md. how i can convert mp3 for atrac3 plus? help me please
I believe you need SonicStage to move files to the mindisc and to convert mp3 to Atrac.

Well, I have the same problem that somebody have. I can't transfer the MD recordings to my hard disk. I told the problem to sony and they answered me that I must reinstall sany stage... miss I tryed more things,

Raz indicated that there is a known incompatibility issue btewwen some Microft Windows security updates and some of Sony's audio programs which use OpenMG (which presumably includes SonicStage and Simple Burner). Please follow his link to find out more about this problem and to download the patch that Microsoft and Sony have devised for this.

Good luck and best wishes,
Bill mikkelsen

Unregistered
11-17-2004, 05:30 AM
They said me that it's only posible t transfer with a hi-md disk.

It means I have no chance with an old MD (2 years old, 350 Euro!!) ??

It seems to be an incentive to buy the new Hi MD!!!

Unregistered
11-19-2004, 05:27 PM

that should do it :)

All the luck bren1818@gmail.com