PDA

View Full Version : Cannot shrink mp3 files w/dbpoweramp

Unregistered
05-10-2002, 08:59 AM
I have just dl the demo and I want to convert mp3`s that I have gotten from the web(Mostly 128kb/s) into a maller format that is not a terrible loss of sound quality.
I have a compaq Ipaq and the flash memory is a bit expensive !
I have had no luck in getting various compression codecs in dbpoweramp to produce smaller and reasonable quality files. I have tried about half of the options available and either I get huge (60 mb.) files or 75k/b which play in a second.
I have tried the ones that seem to make the most sense...i.e. codecs for wave that give output in the 48 to 90 kb/s range.
Does anybody have a suggestion where to start ? I have looked all over the site and have gotten no where !
You cannot imagine how long it has taken to look at al the pages as the internet is horribly slow here in Vietnam !!! 1 to 2 k/bs!!!.
Thanks

Spoon
05-10-2002, 10:59 AM
For a Compaq IPAQ - have a look at installing the Windows Media Audio Codec from 'Codec Central' on this site, you will be able to convert your 128kbps mp3 files to 64, or 80kbps WMA files saving plenty of space.

If you can always convert from an original CD to WMA.

Also you might want to take a look at Sveta Portable Audio (also on this site), it will work quite nicely with your IPAQ and will do all of the hard (converting) work for you.

Unregistered
05-11-2002, 05:47 AM
Hey spoon,
Thanks very much for your quick and I think concise answer. I will download and install the codec and use it for the conversion. I have windows media 7 something installed on the Ipaq.
Thanks again !
Larry

Unregistered
05-11-2002, 06:14 AM
You Da man !!
I have had success with the conversion and 64kb/s does not sound bad,when you consider that I will be listening to the music on vietnamese trains and buses ( I work as a tour leader) where the background noise is high anyway I will be happy !!...and will double my storage space yahoo !
Thanks Spoon !
Ps, set up was simple, I am writing this to you 10 minutes after I completed the download and ran some trials !