PDA

View Full Version : Codec??

Wilhemina
01-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Just downloaded the trial version; first try at converting a file from .wma to .mp3, I got an error message: "Unable to load decoder for file type '.wma', codec not installed? visit 'Codec Central'."

Did that, and from what I read there, it doesn't sound like I need to download any type of Codec, supposedly the trial version is all I need!? Getting dizzy from going around in circles. If you're kind enough to answer, please use small words - obviously I'm a simpleton. And thank you in advance.

xoas
01-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Codecs are sub-programs that allow a music converting (or music playing or music burning) program translate music from one format (like mp3 or WMA) to another. A codec may only help the program read the audio from one format (necessary to convert a file from that format or to play a file from that format) or to create an audio file of a given format or both. The first process is known as decoding. The second process is known as encoding. Codecs are generally specific to a given program so just because you have Windows Media Player installed does not guarantee that any other audio program you use can work with WMA files (and if they do, it will be because ther other program(s) also have a WMA codec).

dBpoweramp Music Converter can work with many file types including WMA files. However, most users prefer to work with just a few audio file formats. For this reason, dBpoweramp Music Converter (and other dBpoweramp programs also) come with just a few codecs with a large number of other codecs being available (mostly for free, and all are free during the trial period, a few codecs do require registration once the trial period is over.

You can find the codecs you need by clicking on the Codec Central tab at the top of this page from where you can select and download the WMA codec you need. If you have had any of the dBpoweramp programs that relied on version 11.5 or earlier of dBpoweramp Music Converter on the computer you are using now, it is extremely important that you make sure that you download your codec to the folder that contains your trial version of dBpoweramp Music Converter. I suspect this is not an issue for you. In any case, the Codec should install to the correct folder with only a very little help on your part. It should find the correct location pretty much on its own.

Hope this helps.
If you run into any problems, please let us know.

Best wishes,
Bill

Wilhemina
01-02-2011, 03:03 PM
I went back, read the information all the way through this time, and resolved my issue. Thanks so much!