PDA

View Full Version : Good CD ripper?

Andrewski
06-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Hi, I've recently acquired a large CD collection from a friend of mine and have been using MusicMatch to rip my CDs, because I like to listen to them as they rip... listen for pops, skips, and such. But other than that ability, it's a pretty dead-awful program. Does anyone know of another ripper that has such a feature? I've looked at CDex and EAC; both good programs, but you can't listen as you rip.

Thanks.

Razgo
06-02-2003, 11:33 PM
have you tried dmc ripper here?

by the way what does the .fr.st stand for in your web URL?

what do you mean listen while they rip? at what point are you hearing the sound? is it playing back part of the file after it is ripped to the hardrive?

Andrewski
06-02-2003, 11:52 PM
No, it plays back the song as it rips, thus getting a rip speed of 1x. (I don't care about speed, just accuracy.) I have looked at dmc, but it doesn't seem to have the feature.

The fr.st. on my link (and my email) is from ulimit.com, a free redirector service. It sends you to my real address, which I designate on my account. That way, I can move the actual webspace (or my email) and still have that address. The fr.st is just the ending I picked (no .com or .net endings available... that's the only catch).

Razgo
06-02-2003, 11:59 PM
No, it plays back the song as it rips, thus getting a rip speed of 1x.
ok i might be a bit ignorant in this area. i just couldn't understand how something could be listened too without the sound being somewhere. i guess it might work similar to live streaming where the sound doesn't go to the hardrive. kind of like a live broadcast.

but not sure if there is any advantage to that at all, listening whilst ripping.

RossRoy
06-03-2003, 12:31 AM
I think what may end up happening is that it's doing anolog recording of the CD source instead of a true digital extraction. 'Cause from what I understand of how CD player work, they can't be reading analog AND digital at the same time.

Or, if we take MusicMatch (same as his example), unless they changed something (last version I used is VERY old), MM plays the ripped songs as they are being ripped.

And anyway, in any case, if the reader is not able to read a sector and it gives a crack or a pop, there's not much that can be done other than clean the disc and re-rip.

That's my understanding.. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Andrewski
06-03-2003, 01:13 AM
Two things: The listening while recording works like this: MM has a setting called "Mute while recording". Uncheck it and your speakers will reproduce the sound as it rips at 1x. Don't ask me about digital v. analog, all I know is that it still rips them at the speed I set.

Also, MusicMatch does correct errors. Change your recording mode to "Digital" and activate "Error correction". I had one disc I checked out from the library that wouldn't even read, but when I ripped it, no errors were left....

Those two features I have yet to see in other programs, both of which make me continue to use MusicMatch.

Razgo
06-03-2003, 01:18 AM
MM plays the ripped songs as they are being ripped.
this is what i was thinking it was doing. in other words part of the track that is "already" ripped is what is being played back. not "real time". so there may not be any advantage of listening whilst ripping accept to listen to the track being ripped because you can.

donny
06-04-2003, 06:22 PM
I think I understand what does this mean and that it is doable... in windows media player riping and playing a cd is posible at the same time... the problem is that you have to mess around a little before you get .mp3 support, without it you have just .wma...

Spoon
06-04-2003, 06:32 PM
It can rip and automatically play track 1 once it has encoded, should only be a delay of 30-60 seconds.

donny
06-05-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Spoon
It can rip and automatically play track 1

what is 'It'? dmc ?

Spoon
06-06-2003, 04:38 PM
Yes (if you set the tracks to be added to the Audio Player, they are played whilst still ripping).

donny
06-06-2003, 04:56 PM
hmm, I didn't know that...
I always use the option to add tracks to the mmc, but something about my CD-ROM is not perfect, so while ripping the audio that is playing in dap starts skiping, a lot, so I turn off dap while ripping... I guess it uses too much of the proccesor time, or ram, or something...
It is a LG 52X CD...

Andrewski
06-06-2003, 06:27 PM
You've given me good reason to check out the player. Thanks.

Andrewski
06-10-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Spoon
Yes (if you set the tracks to be added to the Audio Player, they are played whilst still ripping).

How do I set the tracks to be added? I don't see those options either in the ripper or in the player....

donny
06-10-2003, 04:23 PM
It is in that menu where you set up the bitrate and such...
There are a few options one next to the other, stuff like delete source file, preserve tags adn other. You just press the checkbox and it will do the rest...

Spoon
06-10-2003, 04:26 PM
Do Audio CD Input >> Rip Menu >> Rip with options

and it is one of the check boxes.