PDA

View Full Version : service vs local account

MnM
10-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Spoon,

Could you give a very brief rundown of steps to take if running asset as a service? I like the idea of having asset running while no user is logged on, and am thinking of building a 2008 R2 Foundation server. I've read the manual and searched the forums - aside from ensuring the service's user has adequate folder access, I couldn't see anything else to do, but I guess you recommend the local account for a reason. My experience is mostly with XP so I haven't had to deal with services*UAC before, in case that's an issue.

Thanks,
Matt

Spoon
10-16-2010, 05:03 PM
It is not an issue on a server where the storage is local to run as a service, it is very easy to change over, click the option.

MnM
10-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks. I did have to set some config in the end.

I didn't install Asset in the default program files location, but Asset-UPnPService.ini had entries pointing to %Program Files%. I saw these errors in Asset-UPnPService.log:

10/17/2010, 15:59:09
Failed to start program 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\uMediaLibrary.exe', error code = 2
10/17/2010, 15:59:09
Failed to start program 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\Asset-uPNP.exe', error code = 2

I set the entries in the .ini file to point to the installation folder and it's working.

Not sure why the .ini file was pointing to %program files%, I have probably mistakenly installed there at some stage, but all recent installs have been to a separate drive. Easy for me to see and fix though :thumbup: