PDA

View Full Version : Asset and Linux

kerrik
10-05-2010, 07:39 PM
dont like windows that much and have no mac ...
Want to use the best mediaserver I have found ...

Suse 11.3, Wine and Asset is a wonderful combinaton. I have asset running without trubble on my fileserver.

demio99
10-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Does it mean you can install Asset into Linux NAS? I have a Synology NAS.

Spoon
10-11-2010, 04:32 AM
Most NAS's do not have enough memory or CPU power to run Wine (on which Asset would run on Linux).

advr
12-04-2010, 12:41 PM
It would be nice if Asset for Synology came true...:smile2::smile2:

iscb2010
12-23-2010, 09:18 AM
There is an earlier comment that "Most Linux NAS dont have enough CPU / Memory to run Wine" - does this mean that there are Linux based NAS devices which do have enough resources to run wine / Asset ?

I want to be able to use a NAS for networked storage usable on a few PCs and a Mac, in addition to the media service.

From what little I know about the WHS NAS devices they do not run what I would expect from a resilient NAS - ie raid across the disc drives protecting the system from single drive failure - with automatic rebuilds if a failed drive is replaced. The WHS scheme of duplicating files seems like a very poor substitue for a proper RAID implementation (and there's the issue of how the WHS O/S is replicated).

Thanks

aleg
12-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Just build your own NAS.

Buy a cheap motherboard with 2GB (or more if you want) RAM and a cheap dual core. Find an old and/or smal case and stuff it all in.

Put a free Ubuntu Server on it, install Wine and Asset and you're ready to go.

-
aleg