PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help

adydula
09-18-2010, 12:11 PM
I just bought Asset UPnP and have loaded on a laptop.
I have FLAC files in a directory on it.
I have an ethernet cable from the laptop to a Oppo BD83SE cd player.

I dont have a Windows Home Server.

What do I need to have running on the laptop to be able to stream the FLAC files to the Oppo and to my stereo?

Thanks
Alex

Spoon
09-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Only Asset UPnP, you should check out the Beta v3 of Asset (beta section of this forum) as it has improved compatibilty with 83SE (I have one also).

adydula
09-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Cool, I checked the win 7 firewall and added asset to it. I now see the Asser UpnP"ACER-PC in the Oppo's Home directory menu under network.

I have 413 albums and was wondering if this has any performance impact in selecting or scrolling from the oppo's interface. So far it seems to work fairly well. Sounds good too. Any comments on the impact of the transcoding to PCM ?

I was going to buy an external dac but now that asset is working and i have the SE version of the BD 83 I can enjoy the dacs in the Oppo' se section now!

So cool...I now need to figure out how to get the artwork and the title, artist up on the oppo screen from asset.

This is a great little piece of code Spoon!! Worth the $26 for sure!

Alex

adydula
09-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Spoon, just uninstalled and installed the ver 3 beta, i noticed with 5000 tracks it took several minutes to scan the flacs on the local laptop, this maybe why i was having issues earlier not seeing stuff etc..

We will give the 3 BETA a go and see how it works.
Thanks
Alex

adydula
09-20-2010, 09:19 AM
A poster on avsforums told me that the cover art etc doesnt flow when trancoding FLACS....this maybe why I only see the track and title...no artist, album or art etc...

If this is the case can this be made 'better'...sure woould add some polish here.

I tried the asset control point code and it sees the cover or album art, but you cant play flacs from it...all red circles.

That said with your asset UPnP code I have sold my Sqeezebox Touch!

The File Folder search is AWESOME.

Thanks
Alex

Spoon
09-20-2010, 10:44 AM
The transcoding happens later in UPnP, the 83SE should not use the embedded art rather the one the UPnP server is offering.

adydula
09-20-2010, 02:58 PM
This has probably been asked before, but let me ask it again.
The reason I choose FLAC for my ripping is lossless format...so the FLACS played back sound a good as the originals on the CD.

So the question is does the transcoding from FLAC to LPCM do anything to negatively detract from the sound?

We have a CD to FLAC with your dbpoweramp ripper and now asset doinf the FLAC back to LPCM.

Alex
:komisch12

Spoon
09-20-2010, 05:01 PM
> the transcoding from FLAC to LPCM do anything to negatively detract from the sound?

Nothing negative, the Oppo is receiving the same stream as was ripped.

Treyster
09-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Hello Adydula. Working on ripping my CDs to FLAC using dbPoweramp :) so I can stream them to my Song Towers. I bought an Onkyo TX-NR1007 and it works great with wavs and mp3s through my Windows 7 desktop. Still trying to get it to play flac files. I guess I can also experiment with my Oppo even though it lacks the higher quality analog of the SE version. Hope you are well.

adydula
09-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Hello Trey,

Great on the new Onkyo...I have been playing FLACS for a week on and off now and it sounds just like the originals.

Waiting for my right ear to clear up still 'drying' out from the oil and its still down in amplitude from the left ear.

All the best
Alex

Treyster
10-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Hope your ear issues are cleared up soon.

adydula
10-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks Trey, its still leaking the Baby Oil and is still clogged!! Hoping in a few more days it will be ok!!

Alex

Been using headphones and they dont sound too too bad, but I really miss the SongTowers!!

:blush:

jmanalo
10-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Help please....

I downloaded the Asset v3 in my Laptop (windows xp) then connected it to the Oppo83 SE via USB, but looks like the Oppo did not recognize it. What am I missing?
I've read that I only need to download Asset v3, is there some settings that I need to perform?

Thanks,

Joe

Spoon
10-10-2010, 11:57 AM
The Oppo should connect by the network cable to your router, which then connects to the PC.

jmanalo
10-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks Spoon,

I made it to communicate the Oppo to Laptop, by using ethernet cable instead of USB cable then I plugged in the USB thumb drive to OPPO.
The main menu came up on TV screen but when I selected a couple of tracks to play, there is NO sound. Are there some other steps before I press play?

Joe

Spoon
10-10-2010, 03:29 PM
You would not need the USB thumb drive, select the UPnP Network server as Asset UPnP: [Computer Name] to browse and play your files.

jmanalo
10-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Finally!! I made it to work and heard the music. But still, the "my network" screen won't come up unless I plug in (plug in and remove right away) the thumb drive.

Thanks Spoon.

Joe