PDA

View Full Version : dbpoweramp converted mp3 files fail to load into iTunes

peteraschindler
09-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Hello Everyone!

I've recently bought an iPhone 4 - I know, I know, I must be the only one on the plant - because, oh never mind, I just did.

I've got a FLAC library of 3800 tracks or so (that I feed into my system with Asset UPnP ... Ethernet packets being squireted into a Linn DS) and happily let dbpoweramp batch convert them to .mp3s using settings:

[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath]\[origfilename][]
ID Tag Processing Compilation ITUNESCOMPILATION
Folder.jpg Preserve

all suggested by a helpful contributor to this forum.

Once all that was done, I went File/Add Folder to Library in iTunes 10 and ended up crying.

1) the first time round iTunes crashed (that was when I selected-all Folders under my main "My Music - MP3" folder).

2) the second time round I selected the top folder "My Music - MP3" and iTune starting doing its thing. I went to bed. In the morning, iTunes sat there, looking sort of ashamed because it had nothing to report: the Library screen in iTunes didn't show a single album. I went to look into the iTunes Music library and found that around 1000 of the 3,800 tracks had been copied, but, as I said, nothing in iTunes Library view.

3) I tried it one more and got some error saying that iTunes couldn't save a file because the file name is invalid or too long, and upon inspection I must admit that some file names are absurdly long: "Herbert von Karajan - 01 - The Four Seasons (Il quattro stagione), concertos (4) for violin, strings & continuo ('Il cimento' Nos. 1-4) , Op. 8-1 - 4; Violin Concerto in E major, Op. 8-1, R"

4) Then I called Apple for help and I was put through to some "inbound call centre". Let me cut to the chase: the best they could do was to say I should import my 3,800 tracks one-by-one until I would stumble upon the one which causes the problem. Thank you for that, Apple! When I offered to help Apple debug iTunes by agreeing to do what they suggested, I was told that: no, you can't have an email address of someone to talk to because we're an in-bound call centre. By which time I nearly lost it! (I even told them that the dbpoweramp batch converter has the courtesy to tell you which files it couldn't convert after the batch process. What does Apple not bother with the same courtesy, I asked. No answer was forthcoming.)

And so I am turning to this friendly and helpful community. Do I really need to spend the rest of my life importing 3,800 tracks, one by one? I know the .mp3s play fine; Windows 7 is a bit flabby but pulse is normal; I've tried all this on two different Windows 7 machines; the long file names may be the cause, I've got no idea, I'm having difficulty breathing, I'm going, now nearly gone....

Thanks!

Peter

Spoon
09-14-2010, 07:42 AM
You can use [TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath]\[MAXLENGTH]63,[origfilename][][]

But it does seem to be a bug in iTunes, in Windows the maximum path length generally should not exceed 260 characters. On the MAC filenames tend to have a 64 character limit (not complete path, rather the filename) (at least in Apples handling of audio tracks)

peteraschindler
09-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks, Spoon. Will try this and report back. Peter

peteraschindler
09-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Spoon, you da man! That did the trick, imported all albums without a huge after reconverting with the [TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath]\[MAXLENGTH]63,[origfilename][][] setting.
Thank you!
Peter

Spoon
09-15-2010, 08:14 AM
You might want to file a bug report with Apple.