PDA

View Full Version : Converting 24-bit to 16-bit Flac

Strongbow
08-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Hi!

I just noticed that some of my cd's got ripped to 24-bits flac and my sound system (Sonos) can't read them so I have to down sample them to 16-bit.

My question is since I've dont want to look through all my files is if I would add all the Flac's and then convert them would that mess up the files that are already 16-bit or can I set it somewhere so the converter would only down sample the ones that needs to be done.

I'm using the latest Beta 14.

Best regards
-Strongbow-

Spoon
08-05-2010, 04:14 AM
The easy way is to convert all FLAC >> 16 Bit FLAC (with the DSP effect set bit depth), the existing 16 bit flacs would not have any detriment doing so.

Strongbow
08-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Thank you for the answer.

I tried this on one album I have but I think the problem is that it was ripped as 24bit but in 44100khz so it sounds strange, like when its blowing at an outdoor concert and when I've down sample it it works in my system but it still has the same sound.

So I think I just have to re-rip the cd's but does anyone here know of a program like a manager that you can enter all the files in and easy see the sample size in it.

I've tried Monkey, Helium, MP3tag, and a few others but in none of them I could see the sample size and I don't want to mouseover every song just to see who is at 24bit 44100khz.

Best regards
-Strongbow-

Spoon
08-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Open dBpoweramp Batch Converter, select your music folder, then click 'List', you might have to enable the Bit Depth column, wait for the info to load then sort on that column.

Porcus
08-07-2010, 09:19 AM
If you have enabled the HDCD DSP, then HDCDs end up as 24 bit files.

I'd advice against it, BTW -- HDCD files can well be detected and treated on-the-fly.