PDA

View Full Version : Replay Gain

lasker98
08-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi,
I've been using dbpoweramp for almost a year now to get my cd collection converted to FLAC for playing through a Squeezebox. I've always applied the replaygain dsp but I notice that there still seems to be a noticeable variation in perceived loudness between random songs (not from same album). I know the replay gain is working since I can disable it for playback and do hear much more variation.
I was searching the web trying to find information on what internet radio stations use to apply replay gain since every song you hear seems to have exactly the same perceived loudness. In my searching I came across a post by "spoon" on the Linn UK forums where you responded in part:
"With this context in mind, ReplayGain works well, possible data loss can be eliminated with a 16 bit source by increasing the bit depth to 24 bit before applying ReplayGain. The increasing of the noise floor - all depends on the audio, where classical music might have a positive gain value (hence increased noise floor), popular music almost always is a minus gain value."
I'm wondering if dbpoweramp automatically does this 24 bit conversion when applying replay gain or is it something the user has to set up manually? If manually, can you give me the necessary steps to do it please?
Also, do you have any explanation for me noticing the differences I'm hearing among random songs? Is this just the way it works? Any comments on how internet stations achieve their consistent playback levels?
Thanks in advance,
Bill

eaglescout1998
08-01-2010, 12:45 PM
This information may help:

http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/radio.html

lasker98
08-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks eaglescout. That does help. I'm still wondering if dbpoweramp does the 24 bit conversion automatically before doing replaygain, and if not, what steps would I need to follow to do it myself.

Spoon
08-02-2010, 03:00 PM
You would have to add the DSP effect bit depth to enable 24 bit. Normally this is not required as the player should increase the bitdepth when decoding to apply the RG value.