PDA

View Full Version : HDCD under Windows 7....

dewdude
07-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Hey guys,

A couple years ago I was REALLY excited to find the hdcd.exe thing floating around...and even tried to implment it in to dbpoweramp using the CLI encoder which never fully worked....anyway...on with my problem.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on my laptop. I recently obtained a CD which is HDCD encoded and, like always, I wanted to "expand" this back to 20/24-bit audio for the slightly enhanced quality.

I wasn't aware, at first, that HDCD was built in to the DSP effects in dbPowerAmp as I registered a couple months ago because I loved the whole multi-core encoding thing and found that entirely too handy to not pay for. But I'll get to that in a second.

The first thing I did is what I usually do, I nabbed a copy of hdcd.exe and attempted to run the test to make sure my rip worked fine and the HDCD data intact. I run the command line....nothing. The program just did nothing. So I grabbed a 64-bit compile...same thing.

Now, I know you guys don't offer support on that....but...when I attempted to use dbPowerAmp's HDCD effect...the encoding speed basically just dropped from about 9x to 0.0x and didn't decode any output.

I happen to think MAYBE these problems may be related...and I don't care which method will give me some HDCD goodness, and I'm wondering if windows 7 has something to do with it.

On the flip-side, my XP 32-bit VM has the exact same effect when trying dbpoweramp or hdcd.exe.

Has anyone else using HDCD out there experienced this?

Spoon
07-05-2010, 05:07 PM
The encoding speed would drop as the track is written to one large wav temp file first.

dewdude
07-05-2010, 06:16 PM
i finally got output, but it's 16-bit...so this rip is bad or the HDCD portion just isn't working at all. but i know the CD is supposed to be HDCD encoded, i looked at one the other week.