PDA

View Full Version : Remote uPnP client for Asset server ?

erpol
03-25-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm running Asset on my home server (Win Server 2K3), and I'm really happy with it.
What I can't figure out is how to access it over the Internet. There are a number of players out there that will discover Upnp servers over a LAN (starting with WMP), but I can't seem to find one that will be able to access Asset from the outside.

As I understand it, the server uses port 26125, and I already configured my firewall for it, but then what ? Any recommendation for a suitable player that would be configurable play the music remotely?

Twonky isn't half as good, but it does have a basic web server that gives access to the Music tree from anywhere (and incidentally also to configure the server). Any chance of building this into Asset sometime ? It could be in the paying version as a premium feature. I know I would buy it for this :D

Spoon
03-25-2010, 03:02 PM
The music tree does not need to be exposed via http as it is available through UPnP! :) you need a UPnP control point which is able to select a fixed IP/PORT number, the player (renderer) will be able to use the address supplied by the control point.

I am not sure of any control points which allow this.

erpol
03-25-2010, 05:12 PM
That's exactly it, Spoon! That's what I need: a UPnP control point with the possibility of selecting an IP/port combination to tell it where it should look for the UPnP server. The known ones like WMP or Kinsky don't allow this.

After a reasonable search on the Web, I haven't found anything yet, hence the post... :(