PDA

View Full Version : shorten (.shn) support?

jeromejohn
02-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Am I crazy, or wasnt shn a supported file type for transcoding in v2.1? (e.g. force shn to wav/lpcm) I thought it had this functionality last week, and now it appears gone...

A huge portion of my collection (as with many other live music traders) is in shn, and I will definitely purchase the full version of asset if you restore shn support (even if the free version has it)

If shn support was recently removed, can you direct me where to get an old build that had it included (particularly the .msi file for WHS install)?

Thanks

Spoon
02-14-2010, 04:23 PM
If you install the shorten codec, Asset can read and transcode.

jeromejohn
02-14-2010, 09:22 PM
If you install the shorten codec, Asset can read and transcode.

Thanks, but do you mean the shn codec from Codeccentral (dbpoweramp) ... where do I install the codec to (I have asset installed on my WHS Mediasmart NAS)?

I am hoping that after doing this, .shn will show up in Asset's file extension lists like it used to.

jeromejohn
02-14-2010, 10:48 PM
update - I confirmed that shn works on Windows XP once the codec is installed in dbpoweramp (in program files) ...

All I'm hoping now is for a similar way to get the shn codec installed on my WHS (HP Mediasmart) setup so that Asset can stream all my shn files from the NAS (not my computer)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Spoon
02-15-2010, 05:05 AM
Remote desktop connect to WHS and install as you did on XP.

jeromejohn
02-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Remote desktop connect to WHS and install as you did on XP.

All remote desktop connect lets me access is my shared folders/add-ins folder where the Asset .msi file is. Am I missing something?

Spoon
02-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Start >> Programs >> Accessories >> Remote Desktop Connection

jeromejohn
02-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Ok, I'm having serious problems (hours upon hours) simply trying to get Asset working on my WHS Mediasmart server again, and if I can get .shn to work as well it will be the greatest thing ever (no other program/dlna server, including squeezecenter for squeezebox can handle shn files).

I installed the shn codec as instructed, but Asset still looked the same in the WHS console. So I uninstalled Asset on my server using the WHS console, hoping that Asset would work with shn upon reinstall. When I reinstalled Asset in the console, the version of Asset which showed up in the WHS console was "xx.xx", it couldn't download an update or do anything (no edit advanced settings, no restart, no rescan library).

So I followed the manual install instructions here:
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=19924
(I also uninstalled/deleted the shn codec from the control panel programs list)

The manual installation of Asset created a folder on my remote desktop called db poweramp. I then installed the shn codec again as instructed.

The WHS console still had/has the broken version of Asset on it that does nothing at all. If I put the .msi file in the add ins folder, I can install/uninstall it, but it always shows up the same (it does nothing).

However, the assetconfig.exe file in the dbpoweramp folder on my remote desktop now shows .shn capabilities in the advanced settings as I had hoped, but the DLNA receiver (oppo bdp 83) cannot see Asset broadcasting.

So again, if you could help me (a) get Asset working at all on my server again and (2) get it to show shn in the advanced settings/ transcode my shn files, I will certainly buy it, and sing its praises far and wide!

Thanks Spoon

[Note - I've been using beta v3 from the time of the manual install - present, because i deleted the v2.1 .msi file and couldnt download it again as noted in my other post]

Spoon
02-17-2010, 05:49 AM
The download is now working, so please try the latest version. Follow the instructions:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=19924

Except also when Asset is uninstalled, reboot the WHS then remote desktop in and delete all the files + folders you find under:

C:\Program Files\Illustrate

jeromejohn
02-17-2010, 12:39 PM
OK I did all that exactly, and what happens is Asset shows up in the settings listing of WHS, but the app doesnt function still (no advanced settings access; still shows version "xx.xx", etc.), and Asset doesnt show up as an "installed" add in either.

I then installed the add in over the manual install by having the .msi file in add-ins, and now it shows as an "installed" add in (v1.2.3) , but the program's still dead (e.g. when you click on it from the settings listing, it still shows version "xx.xx," no advanced settings access, etc.

Is there a way I can give you remote access to my server so you can see what you can figure out?

Otherwise, do you have any idea what else I can do to fix the fact that I just cant seem to get Asset to work at all on my server anymore (much less play shn files)?

Thanks Spoon.

jeromejohn
02-17-2010, 01:01 PM
2 additional issues that may help if you answer them:

1. The manual install link you provided can be read in one of two ways:

(1) I dont put the downloaded .msi file in my shared add-ins folder at all (accessible from the console), but rather only in C:\ (moved from shared software and installed from the remote desktop)

(2) I download the .msi file into shared add-ins (where WHS says it goes), then "copy" the .msi file to shared software, and move to C:\ install from remote desktop

Which is correct? - note after the manual install, (1) does not show Asset at all in the "add ins" portion of settings in the WHS console - either installed or uninstalled, and (2) shows Asset as an uninstalled add-in. The program shows up in settings in both but doesnt work in either.

2. After doing the manual install, I found the following files in the following tree structure while poking around in remote desktop:

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\dBpoweramp
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\dBpoweramp\uMediaLibrary
AssetConfig.bin
AssetUPnPDefinedBrowseTree.txt
AssetUPnPForceToLPCM.txt
AssetUPnPForceToMP3.txt
AssetUPnPForceToMP3.txt
AssetUPnPForceToWave.txt
MediaExcludeExts.txt
MediaFoldersWatch.txt
PlaylistFoldersWatch.txt

What should I do about that (if I try another manual install)?

Thanks again, I know I'm a pain in the butt.

Spoon
02-17-2010, 04:13 PM
It is Windows thinking it is already installed and not running the main install, hence the version xx.xx (it simply has not installed).

Uninstalling in the control panel (all Asset Items, there are 2) should fix it so that it can be installed again.

jeromejohn
02-17-2010, 04:28 PM
I'll try again but I already followed the manual install instructions which include removing the 2 asset programs in the add/remove programs list.

I'm still confused what you think I may have done wrong ...
Are you saying uninstall from remote desktop then reinstall from the console (.msi folder in add-ins)? In other words, manual uninstall but regular (not remote desktop) install?

Also, what do I do about the files listed above in default user application data? Could that be causing this problem? That stuff is still there after the 2 programs are removed from control panel.

Spoon
02-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Those files are not created by the install, rather when the program runs, they are not an issue.

Try installing by double clicking the .msi from C:\ (through remote desktop).

jeromejohn
02-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Spoon,

I appreciate your help but believe me, I have done everything youve suggested (remote uninstall from control panel then install from C:\ ) and more (console uninstall/install) numeorus times and in every permutation imaginable.

Despite hours of trying every which way, I always end up with the same broken version of Asset listed in settings of the WHS console.

In the hope it might help, here's what the broken install of Asset always says/does:

Version: xx.xx Install Update 'xx.xx' (once pressed, says 'Unable to Download')
Functionality: Trial 'register': works (should I upgrade? i will if it could help)
Asset UPnP (DLNA): 'Restart button will turn .on indicator to .off, but not vice versa
Advanced Settings: 'Edit' button does nothing when pressed
Rescan Library: both 'Detecting Changes' and 'Refresh All' buttons bring up their dialog boxes when pressed, but otherwise do nothing.

I REALLY want to use and reccomend this program; at this point, I would even be happy to have just flac functionality back without shn (although shn on WHS remains the holy grail)

I do feel at this point there is a problem with the WHS version which doesnt allow a reinstall after an uninstall.

If you think its a WHS issue, I will call HP/Microsoft instead, but I'd like to see if one last time you may be able to help me wipe all traces of Asset from the registy or do whatever i need to do to get a clean install of Asset on my WHS that works!

Many Thanks.

Spoon
02-18-2010, 04:23 AM
Installing the registered version would work, because the version number is higher.

jeromejohn
02-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Installing the registered version would work, because the version number is higher.

This didnt work. It still shows "xx.xx" and the version as "trial" telling me to register (except Ive spent $30 now).

Please Spoon, someone has to know what the .msi programs does (where it installs files) to have this residual in the WHS system prventing me from reinstalling.

Again, I will give someone at illustarate remote access to my console if necessary ... Alternatively I would like to call someone who can troubleshoot with me (can you PM me a number?) ... I hope i dont need to back up my data and then reinstall WHS from scratch because of this issue with Asset, but im even willing to do that (assuming it wont ruin my new server or my data) I really want to get this product to work!

Spoon
02-20-2010, 06:19 AM
Install the Asset XP registered install (leave the current install in its non working state), this is the part which is missing (the WHS msi calls the XP install, for what ever reason, perhaps security software? this is being blocked), so copy the .exe to the WHS machine and run it from remote desktop.

jeromejohn
02-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Install the Asset XP registered install (leave the current install in its non working state), this is the part which is missing (the WHS msi calls the XP install, for what ever reason, perhaps security software? this is being blocked), so copy the .exe to the WHS machine and run it from remote desktop.

This didnt work (yet), but I am hopeful Its because i might have done something wrong along the way ... I would now like to manual reinstall everything (from add/remove programs), then (1) reinstall the registered .msi - should I do this within the WHS console or from remote desktop? and (2) install the xp .exe from remote desktop.

One big question, in remote desktop, what should be the installation path on the C: drive (when the programs ask me)? C:\program files ?

Also, when I install the xp version should I choose to run the program from my local account or as a service?

Thanks

Spoon
02-20-2010, 04:13 PM
The install path should be:

C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp

If this path has been changed for any install then you will have bits in one place and bits in another, it should never be changed (infact you cannot when installing the msi).

You would run Asset as the Service account.

jeromejohn
02-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks Spoon!, with your help I got Asset to work again, it shows .shn files in the advanced settings and has even played them a few times. However, 9 times out of 10 it freezes up the program or my oppo and I need to restart Asset (Asset usually shuts down on its own after freezing up trying to transcode shn files, and/or I manually have to restart it).

I think I have some idea what the problem is; since I have an oppo bpd 83, wav is not one of the accepted file types for dlna streaming (lpcm is). Flacs transcode perfectly to lpcm every time (except 5.1 encodes, which play jittery/unlstenable), which makes me think its easier to decode flac to lpcm than shn to lpcm. I know shn was designed to encode/decode from and to wav, so is it possible a tweak would improve this issue if, for instance: Asset transcoded shn > wave > lpcm for streaming. Alternativley, is there anything that could be done to improve the shn to lpcm transcoding?

It will literally change my life to be able to stream my native shn files (500+GBs) to my oppo through Asset.

Thanks again for all your help these past few days.

Spoon
02-21-2010, 10:09 AM
It should not make a difference to asset if they are shn or flac.