PDA

View Full Version : Playing mp3s in File Name order?

Grunfeld_2
02-14-2010, 08:01 AM
I installed Asset UPnP yesterday and basically like it! However I've got a problem and wonder if there is a simple solution. The version is currently unregistered.

Nearly all of my mp3s don't have a Track Number in the tag, and playing the album via Asset UPnP results in the tracks playing alphabetically as per the mp3's ID tag.

As it happens, the file name of each mp3 track begins with a number.

Is there any way to either get Asset UPnP to play the tracks from an album in file name order?

Or do I have to add a Track Number to each mp3's ID tag? (And is there a quick, i.e. automated, way of doing that?)

Or does the registered version of Asset UPnP solve this problem for me?

Oli

PS In case that's not clear here's an example of what I mean.

Pink Floyd. "Dark Side of the Moon".

The files actually live on the PC's hard drive inside a folder called "Dark Side..." and are named as follows:

"01-speak_to_me"
"02-breathe"
"03-on_the_run"
etc.

And whereas in Winamp they will load in file name order (and therefore track listing order), in Asset UPnP because I've got no Track Number tags on the mp3s they are listed alphabetically and will play
"Breathe"
"On The Run"
"Speak To Me"

Spoon
02-14-2010, 09:55 AM
We have a [Tag From Filename] utility codec (see codec central), but you might loose the other tags (not sure).

Grunfeld_2
02-14-2010, 12:32 PM
...but you might loose the other tags (not sure).

It took a bit of fiddling but if I simply put "[track]" in the "Tag Recognition" line then it adds the track number to the tag as a whole and leaves the other (correct) bits of the tag alone.

Result!

It's still a lot of work for me to do but it is straight-forward and very quick per album. It's nothing compared to what would have been the task of manually adding track numbers by hand to to thousands of files. (And I wouldn't have bothered -- I'm not that OCD :D).

Thanks!

Spoon
02-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Use Batch Converter and select every folder with one click.

Grunfeld_2
02-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Awesome!

8,000 tracks done over a pot of tea! :D

Thanks